Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Arrows - GAAW

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

America and the UK are what represent imperialism in the Western world, that is the reason I reckon they target those two countries. In a similar way Israel are the imperialists of the middle east.

So you agree then, they're not against war. Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

c_man wrote: »
    So you agree then, they're not against war. Excellent.
    You might be onto something, maybe GAAW is the wrong name for them, maybe it should be Galway Alliance Against Imperialism, still a worthy cause though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

My understanding of the GAAW is that they are not against the airshow just against war planes or planes that resemble war planes like the red arrows taking part in it.

Oh thats ok then. We could have an airshow with just civilian aircraft, oh wait we do, every day of the week - they're held at places called airports.

Or alternatively, I wonder where all those celtic tiger choppers are? It used to be like Saigon at the height of the Vietnam War in Galway during race week (not so now though). We could have those dug out and flown over the bay. They would have to do it in sections, there isn't enough airspace over the bay to accommodate them all.

We must not offend our fellow citizens in the GAAW :rolleyes:

scholar007 wrote: »

We must not offend our fellow citizens in the GAAW :rolleyes:
    Its not about offending people from GAAW, its about having respect for people who these warplanes affect, victims of war etc Is the fact that the airshow is no longer being run that big a deal, its all hype and propaganda anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Its not about offending people from GAAW, its about having respect for people who these warplanes affect, victims of war etc Is the fact that the airshow is no longer being run that big a deal, its all hype and propaganda anyways

It is about denying ten of thousands of local people to view warplanes if they want to.

I presume that the GAAW are totally opposed to the Libyan rebels waging war on Gaddafi ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I think most people go to airshows just to see some planes including warplanes these people gaaw just do not like to see anybody enjoying themselves what next burn all the books they don't agree with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Google inventions inspired by war or war is the motherhood of invention:

Orange juice
    penicillin
    radar
    satellite
    plastic
    aeresol
    silly puddy

Discodog wrote: »
    It is about denying ten of thousands of local people to view warplanes if they want to.

I presume that the GAAW are totally opposed to the Libyan rebels waging war on Gaddafi ?
    I have no idea about their views on the gaddafi situation, its not exactly like for like though is it, we are not seeing Libyan Aircraft flying in Galway bay, I think the GAAW are against the wars that we as a nation seem to support. By watching the airshows that have war planes present you are supporting them in the wars that they are involved in.

Anyways the GAAW did not stop the airshow it was the council as they would no longer fund it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

newkie wrote: »

Orange juice
    penicillin
    radar
    satellite
    plastic
    aeresol
    silly puddy
    Pretty sure none of those are used by GAAW members, against their ethical beliefs and all that :rolleyes:

Orange juice
    penicillin
    radar
    satellite
    plastic
    aeresol
    silly puddy
    Going forward, you can't stop progress, sure lives will be lost but its ok we will have inventions. War is great

On a serious note, most of your list would have been discovered or invented anyways, war just meant that they were quicker to the market as the administration and health and safety were not considered during those times.

• Advertisement

I have no idea about their views on the gaddafi situation, its not exactly like for like though is it, we are not seeing Libyan Aircraft flying in Galway bay, I think the GAAW are against the wars that we as a nation seem to support.

But the RAF are directly involved in assisting the rebels as part of NATO. Did I not see that we now recognise the new Libyan government so we clearly support it.

The whole point is that it's not GAAW but Galway Alliance against Wars that they, as a minuscule minority, decide are wrong. Remember there were plenty who thought that our own war was illegal at the time. The whole middle eastern "spring" must be giving anti-war groups a headache as they try to decide who to condemn next.

Surely if an organisation if going to call itself the Galway Alliance it should have significant Galway support ? The name is an attempt to give it some kind of official status.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Orange juice
    penicillin
    radar
    satellite
    plastic
    aeresol
    silly puddy

Bovril aswell I think

But the RAF are directly involved in assisting the rebels as part of NATO. Did I not see that we now recognise the new Libyan government so we clearly support it.

The whole point is that it's not GAAW but Galway Alliance against Wars that they, as a minuscule minority, decide are wrong. Remember there were plenty who thought that our own war was illegal at the time. The whole middle eastern "spring" must be giving anti-war groups a headache as they try to decide who to condemn next.

Surely if an organisation if going to call itself the Galway Alliance it should have significant Galway support ? The name is an attempt to give it some kind of official status.
    I'm not sure what you are exactly getting at, are you saying that the situation in Libya is the same as Iraq or Palestine?

Alliance in this case just means group, personally I think all war is wrong and should never be considered an option although I know that this is not possible when greed and religion are involved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Don't give them any credit for ending the Salthill airshow, they didn't. If anything it was the fault the City Council and Galway busineses in general who reaped the financial rewards of the airshow but weren't prepared to help sponsor other than in meagre terms.

At best their protest against the airshow demonstrated how few there are. No more than fifty turned up at one of their famous balloon protests and during another airshow their booing of the Red Arrows was drowned out by deliberate cheering of the section of crowd they stood behind. Apart from the Reds themselves who drowned out everything.

It's also worth remembering they are completely misnamed. They should be called the GAACW, C being for certain wars. Niall Farrell's background is Republican and left wing and GAACW concentrates only on the activities of the British, Americans and of course Israel. They're oddly silent on the behaviour of Syria for example not to mention any of the other oppressive regimes out there. They've also been completely out of sorts since Obama got elected. Hard to protest against him.

All credit to them for their ability to get a little publicity even if it is in the local free rags who quite frankly publish their utterings word for word.

Best to ignore them. They only represent themselves.

personally I think all war is wrong and should never be considered an option

Good Morning Mr Hitler - tea or coffee :rolleyes:

Good Morning Mr Hitler - tea or coffee :rolleyes:
    Selective quoting :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Meh, for example penicillin was around many many years before WW2, it's just that the surge for it during the war made research into it profitable.

I prefer inventions inspired by science fiction
    Mobile Phones
    Submarine
    Computer Viruses
    Satellites
    Robots
    Space Travel
    Internet
    Atomic Bomb

I'm not sure what you are exactly getting at, are you saying that the situation in Libya is the same as Iraq or Palestine?

Alliance in this case just means group, personally I think all war is wrong and should never be considered an option although I know that this is not possible when greed and religion are involved

Is that better ? Who decides if greed or religion are a factor ? Many people who instigate wars are not motivated by greed or religion for example Pol Pot. Some people instigate war because there is no one to stop them. The GAAW would of been sitting on the runway congratulating Chamberlain for appeasing Hitler & avoiding war.

Is that better ? Who decides if greed or religion are a factor ? Many people who instigate wars are not motivated by greed or religion for example Pol Pot. Some people instigate war because there is no one to stop them. The GAAW would of been sitting on the runway congratulating Chamberlain for appeasing Hitler & avoiding war.

Greed
    is an excessive desire to possess wealth or goods with the intention to keep it for one's self. Greed is inappropriate expectation. However, greed is applied to a very excessive or rapacious desire and pursuit of wealth, status, and power. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greed

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭samdeman

But it's well known that GAAW had nothing to do with the cancelling of the airshow. I actually admire what they are doing, they believe that something is wrong and they are taking actions to change it. My understanding of the GAAW is that they are not against the airshow just against war planes or planes that resemble war planes like the red arrows taking part in it.

when were the red arrows at war? have they been in afghanistan entertaining the taliban to death or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

samdeman wrote: »
    when were the red arrows at war? have they been in afghanistan entertaining the taliban to death or something?

LOL, maybe it's a new tactic, a spectacular show to lure the enemy out, then blast them to pieces, :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭R0UF

biko wrote: »
    Meh, for example penicillin was around many many years before WW2, it's just that the surge for it during the war made research into it profitable.

I prefer inventions inspired by science fiction
    Mobile Phones
    Submarine
    Computer Viruses
    Satellites
    Robots
    Space Travel
    Internet
    Atomic Bomb

Underlining it doesn't make it any less of a nonsense list. What was the definition of 'inspired' for this list?

Greed
    is an excessive desire to possess wealth or goods with the intention to keep it for one's self. Greed is inappropriate expectation. However, greed is applied to a very excessive or rapacious desire and pursuit of wealth, status, and power. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greed

I agree which is why we must never allow the GAAW to have any power or influence over our City & it's governance. The GAAW show an excessive & rapacious desire to ignore the views of the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

Biplanes were used as war machines and I don't think these were banned from the airshow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Going forward...

Am I the only one who can never again read this without hearing Brian Cowen saying it? :D

samdeman wrote: »
    The red arrows are owned by the Royal Air Force who have a history of combat, the red arrows are actually altered fighter planes called BAE Hawks, whether these planes were ever at war or not is irrelevent, they still represent it.
    I agree which is why we must never allow the GAAW to have any power or influence over our City & it's governance. The GAAW show an excessive & rapacious desire to ignore the views of the majority.
    I don't agree with everything they do but they are actively going against things that they believe are wrong which has to be admired. Plenty of people are against many things but very few do anything about it, I am guilty of it myself. For this reason groups like the GAAW will never be in a position of power so you have nothing to worry about.
    c_man wrote: »
    Am I the only one who can never again read this without hearing Brian Cowen saying it? :D
    I was specifically thinking of FF when I said that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

The red arrows are owned by the Royal Air Force who have a history of combat, the red arrows are actually altered fighter planes called BAE Hawks, whether these planes were ever at war or not is irrelevent, they still represent it.
    Ok let's get this right. The Hawk is not an altered fighter plane. It is in fact a trainer, used to train jet pilots. There are versions you can buy, should you wish, that can drop bombs etc. But the RAF version is a trainer. The Red Arrows aircraft could in fact be used in war but only as a very last resort.

But of course the issue is not the aircraft themselves but the RAF and the fact that it is British. That's the real issue for GAAW who are very partial in objections. There's little doubt that if the French or the Italians or the Spanish or Russian air forces sent their teams. The silence would be deafening. No pun intended.

They're not anti war, they're anti British. Don't be confused.

xflyer wrote: »
    Ok let's get this right. The Hawk is not an altered fighter plane. It is in fact a trainer, used to train jet pilots. There are versions you can buy, should you wish, that can drop bombs etc. But the RAF version is a trainer. The Red Arrows aircraft could in fact be used in war but only as a very last resort.

But of course the issue is not the aircraft themselves but the RAF and the fact that it is British. That's the real issue for GAAW who are very partial in objections. There's little doubt that if the French or the Italians or the Spanish or Russian air forces sent their teams. The silence would be deafening. No pun intended.

They're not anti war, they're anti British. Don't be confused.

I have already said that they are not against every war but against imperialism so I'm unsure what you are trying to prove to me. The training plane that you talk about is still training people for war, still sounds like a war plane and still represents the Royal Air Force.

Do you think that the GAAW are wrong for protesting the wars that the RAF etc participate in or are you just annoyed because planes no longer perform tricks over Galway Bay?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I have already said that they are not against every war but against imperialism so I'm unsure what you are trying to prove to me. The training plane that you talk about is still training people for war, still sounds like a war plane and still represents the Royal Air Force.

Do you think that the GAAW are wrong for protesting the wars that the RAF etc participate in or are you just annoyed because planes no longer perform tricks over Galway Bay?
    Its the tricks that most people miss. As for them and there anti-imperialism, its not the middle ages, there are no new crusades, i dont think we will see Obama raising a cross in the Middle Est anytime soon. They are an irritant group of people who simply hop on the latest so called 'war mongers' and agree with each other while plotting to get a small letter into local papers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I'd imagine that Libya confuses the hell of them as given the background of Farrell, they would have regarded Gadaffi as a fellow traveller and purveyor of fine arms for "the Cause".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement