Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doggie love

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

star-pants wrote: »
    Lily we got from a couple getting rid of her, so she was already named but it was nice and suited her. Daisy we didn't know what to call, the lady who bred her was calling her 'puppy' so we called her that for a bit, and then we tried Poppy, and Sophie and one day (we had her 2wks and needed a name!) my mother just said 'Daisy' and she came running so that was it! Just somewhat coincidence they were both flower names :D

Our Daisy is a licker, she licks the air, she licks her paws, her toys, us, whatever!

We also have voices for our dogs.. Lily is more of a posh voice, she's more reserved. Daisy is more lolcat/loldog - 'can has sups of tea?' etc lol.

Our Lily was already named as well, we started off fostering her so I didn't change the name but now we can't part with her, I wouldn't have chosen the name but it actually really suits her, she's very posh and ladylike with long graceful legs (hence the nickname Lily Long Legs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Coco in bed for her morning cuddle with my OH, "sharing" the pillow! Looks like she's doing the cuddling!

http://img.ie/64104.jpg

Double the love from tomorrow, we're taking in a foster dog from EGAR, another little field setter. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

Discodog wrote: »
    Thanks you gave me an excuse to post this again - Greyhounds need the good PR :D

I love this! What a beauty, I just love their faces and their temperament.

When I have finally convinced my husband that our girlie needs a buddy (been working on it for a while now!) I am seriously considering adopting a greyhound.

I just dont know if they would prefer a chilled out house to one with a two year old (terrible teenage) GSD! :D

Oh and by the way I WILL convince him! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Blogger50 wrote: »
    I love this! What a beauty, I just love their faces and their temperament.

When I have finally convinced my husband that our girlie needs a buddy (been working on it for a while now!) I am seriously considering adopting a greyhound.

I just dont know if they would prefer a chilled out house to one with a two year old (terrible teenage) GSD! :D

Oh and by the way I WILL convince him! ;)

Don't be fooled by her angelic look ;) When my 18 month old Collie/Lab gets too cheeky she knocks nine bells out of him & he loves every minute of it :D They get on incredibly well.

Even funnier if he is on my lap, where she should be, she simply grabs one his back legs & pulls him off.
    If I could just find myself a man to show me as much love as my dogs show me I would be the happiest woman alive lol.

Well I would of thought that any woman, seeing the way I am with my dogs, would appreciate my tender side but, in reality, they just think that I am bonkers.

I once investigated a dating site especially for animal lovers - there were only 3 women in Ireland :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Galway K9 wrote: »
    I do actually. you need more than 10 mins to see it. I cant facilitate for over sensitive, ignorant, judgemental, un-educated liberals. Anyone that knows my dog, knows hes a very happy, content, fit, healthy, beautiful fellla with a great bond towards his owner. Anyone ive trained is very happy with me, and always recommended me . I dont advertise, i get name by word of mouth and i get about 30+ calls a week by good word.

As said before if youve a problem, talk to me rather than behind an IP address. Just PM as i said before to meet in person with your problem.

P.S: Thanks for taking an innocent thread off topic, shows your true heart.

<modsnip>

Apologies to everyone for bringing off topic with this retaliation. Pls note that everything I.say is on my behalf and does not represent dog club that I train at, in any way. This is a personal issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

my dog is my best friend! honestly!
    He would wait for me at the front door everytime i get home from work/shop/etc and he will jump as if he were to say "surprise"!!
    he often runs between my legs...why?!

Loving this topic!!

#35 - what dating site?! where?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

<3 this picture of Daisy on me when I'm in bed
    11264_221563301843_636346843_4205544_4033049_n.jpg

Well I would of thought that any woman, seeing the way I am with my dogs, would appreciate my tender side but, in reality, they just think that I am bonkers.

I once investigated a dating site especially for animal lovers - there were only 3 women in Ireland :D
    If I could just find myself a man to show me as much love as my dogs show me I would be the happiest woman alive lol.

Who needs a website, when you can meet right here in API!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

Brilliant thread!

My dog (Paddy) is a rescue, and I got him after I was victim of a really horrific burglary. We fixed each other.

Had to make the really tough choice 2 years ago to send him to live with my parents at home as I was working 12 hours a day and it wasn't fair leaving him in small house all day, every day. I cried do much the day I left him behind.

He loves it there...has my Mum and Dad wrapped around his massive ginger paw and spends his day milling around with Aflie (parents dog) and the 2 cats.

The best part is when I come home... the excitement at getting to see him, then racing up from the boat, pulling up at the gate and seeing 7 stone of gingerness nearly breaking his heart trying to get out to me. Massive hugs! Burying my face in neck and wrapping him up in my arms. My boy loves cuddles! And then spending my whole time at home with him.
    When I was home last month I tricked him by arriving at the house in my sisters car (he pays no heed to it a she's there the whole time) hopped over the wall and snuck up on him at the back of the house. People who think dogs can't smile should have seen his face... lit up the world.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I have full blown conversations with my dog, and have been known to sing at her when there's no-one else around to witness it :pac:. She's a beggar to the bone - scraps of food, cuddles or (most important of all) getting you to play fetch with her are always on her mind. She's curled up in her bed at the moment, with no less than 5 different tennis balls surrounding her like teddy bears :rolleyes:. She's a small dog (JRT), but she adores footballs. She'll spend days chewing and gnawing at one, chasing it up and down the back garden and sleeping with her head on top of it at night. Obsession much? :pac: She's daft as a post but I love her - especially the look she gives me when she cocks her head as if to say "Why aren't you already throwing this tennis ball for me?" :)

Dogs are great though. Each one has their own personality, their own quirks. They're all so different and I love it. Never met one who didn't growl and snap at hoovers or sweeping brushes though.

• Advertisement

The Paws wrote: »
    #35 - what dating site?! where?!

I will get enough stick by mentioning that I have been near a dating site - use Google :D
    star-pants wrote: »
    <3 this picture of Daisy on me when I'm in bed

I know that it's an animal thread but you could of shown a bit more of you biggrin.gif
    Who needs a website, when you can meet right here in API!!biggrin.gif

I do love you all in A&P but it's not quite as nice as a real woman biggrin.gif

By the way a friend of mine has a big solid silver picture frame next to her bed with a photo of her love ..........a huge Doberman ! It's a kind of test. Does a potential suitor have enough courage to try & if he does will the dog like him ? She has had surprisingly few takers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Debathy

ohhh i am so glad im not the only one who thinks like this. my OH is convinced that i love my dog more then him (it could be she always gets the passenger seat in the car, what can i say she loves been close to me)

sadly she's getting to her older years hate thinking of the future without her. she is my baby always will be. she goes practically everywhere with me. loves kisses and cuddles as shes only a little dog first thing she does in the morning is lick your toes. weirds other people out but i cant help get down on my hands and knees to give her a cuddle back.

love the looks she give me sometimes she's as cutie as you can get them.
    have to say totally right when you say they brighten you up after a hard day at work :) Molly's currently sitting on my lap looking at the computer screen she just looked up at me there to say " yeah i know thats about me" cant compete with a dogs love!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I love nothing more than curling up with my 3 babas in front of an open fire having a cuddle on a wet windy night like this! Heaven:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I will get enough stick by mentioning that I have been near a dating site

Nah nah...... no seriously, I'm surprised it hasn't been done. Pet people are pet mad and if there was one thing I could change about my husband it would be that he'd be as pet mad as me. I currently want to get a cockatiel and have always wanted a pair of rats. Would also love a snake. But I've been banned. He loves our pets but wouldn't want more. If it was up to me I'd have a house full. I'd be one of those people found after 3 months with my cats eating my body and the dogs pining away. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

OMG I love the doggie love when i get back home from the lab, Rebel and Rusty can't wait to you sit down to pet them!

Oh btw, Me and the OH talk for the animals too in weird english voices.. I'm mammy and he's daddy and it goes something like "Muuummmmyy, get me a bone mummy, daddy won't get up off the seat"..

LOL It's gotten to a stage where my mum calls herself "granny" to the dogs!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I know this is about doggie love, but my cat does the most cutest thing in the mornings when im still asleep.

I leave the bedroom window open so he can come and go as he pleases. In the mornings he would wake me up by bringing his snout right up to my lips, smelling them or something and tickling me with his whiskers. I often pretend to be asleep and he will even turn his snout to avoid hitting my nose like as if he's giving me a kiss. Then he snuggles up to me. I love him so much.

A real love of animals doesn't just effect relationships. Friendships are difficult with those who don't understand our love for our pets. Of all my neighbours I am closest friends with an elderly couple. This is because we both appreciate & understand each other's relationship with our dogs.

I suspect that it is extremely difficult to find someone, for a relationship, who loves dogs. But I think that it could be difficult trying to live with someone who didn't share my love of animals.

It is interesting that as far as I know, I am no expert on the subject, the main dating websites do not have any way of prioritising a love of animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Its very funny but my boy groans and moans when hugged, you know the way you give them a squeeze and make a noise, or go "aaawwwww, gis a hug", it sounds like that!
    My little dog goes nuts if you make kissing sounds and will run and leap on you and try to lick your face! :D
    In the morning my alarm goes off and I hit snooze, if it goes again the dogs jump on me for hugs, if I don't get up by the next snooze I'm in for trouble, Ollie would kick you out the bed fairly quick.

Its true what discodog said, my closest friends are all animal lovers, same goes for my daughter, she has one friend since a small child who isn't keen on animals and I have seen them drifting apart to the point they hardly talk.
    I respect that not everyone loves animals but won't lock my pets out of their home for someone who comes in for a chat. (send them to their beds yes, lock outside, no)
    I have more than once dumped someone for the way they treat animals.
    The animals are always there for you and love you no matter what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

When my mother starts making a cup of tea, my dog gets very excited and runs in to the couch in the sitting room to wait- cups of tea mean my mother is going to lie down on the couch, possibly have a nap. So as soon as she joins Kayla on the couch, Kayla will start pulling down the blanket off the back of the couch so it can be draped across the two of them for their little snuggle session :rolleyes:

Even though the little missus is currently on my bed asleep, the fact that it's soon midnight will mean she will drag herself off the bed and come plead with me using the inbuilt guilt-trippy eyes of a cocker spaniel to come to bed. She'll start by staring at me. If I dont get the message, she will start giving me the paw. Then doing it more forcefully, practically slapping the laptop if I refuse to put it away- she hates the laptop, it keeps me up :pac: when I turn it off, she'll go wait in the bathroom for me to do my teeth (she likes to chaperon me) then she'll go wait on the bed and snuggle with me for a few minutes before stretching out at the end of the bed.

She is the bossiest little madam, but I wouldn't change a thing!

There is definitely a need for a dating service for animally people!! It's so hard to find people who are mad about their pets :( And I definitely use her as a litmus test for relationships!! You can tell sooo much about someone by how they are with animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Thats so funny, my boy does the same at bedtime (normally about 10.30), he comes over and gives me the look, sighs a few times, then does the chin on my knee with more sighs, then goes to the stairs and sighs some more and comes back to start over.

• Advertisement

mymo wrote: »
    Thats so funny, my boy does the same at bedtime (normally about 10.30), he comes over and gives me the look, sighs a few times, then does the chin on my knee with more sighs, then goes to the stairs and sighs some more and comes back to start over.
    Even though the little missus is currently on my bed asleep, the fact that it's soon midnight will mean she will drag herself off the bed and come plead with me using the inbuilt guilt-trippy eyes of a cocker spaniel to come to bed. She'll start by staring at me. If I dont get the message, she will start giving me the paw. Then doing it more forcefully, practically slapping the laptop if I refuse to put it away- she hates the laptop, it keeps me up pacman.gif when I turn it off, she'll go wait in the bathroom for me to do my teeth (she likes to chaperon me) then she'll go wait on the bed and snuggle with me for a few minutes before stretching out at the end of the bed.

Bedtime routine in our house is as follows:
    She goes out for "last widdles", A good indicator for her going out to do her business is the TV/laptop getting switched off. She heads out, trots back in, straight past her kitchen bed and down to the door. If it's open she'll head into the bed herself, if it's closed she'll give it a scratch and turns around and looks at us to let us know she's ready for bed

She has a cuddle in the bed, then gets down onto her bed for the night. She would stay up in the bed only there isn't room with a normal sized me and my OH who's 6'3 in a king sized bed. She does stay up if one of us is away though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

I have voices for my dogs as well.

Leon my husky has a really thick Cork accent.
    Phoenix the RR has a Northern accent, and Kya my GSD cross has a super posh accent:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Mine has a Cavan accent (I'm not even from Cavan :pac:). "Ah please. Go on. Ya know ya want to throw this ball for me. Ah go on. I'll even lick your trouser leg. A gwaaaaan. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaase!!!!"

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

My friend said that if she HAd to choose between them, shed get rid of her (poor) husband as the dogs show her more affection and love than he ever does!

I adore mine, and if you re out late she will wait up for you to get back just to get a hug before she trots off to her hidey hole crate. We have now reached an agreement; the right side of the couch is hers and she can come up by invitation... She's always invited : )
    Who needs heating when you have a little dog curled up under your armpit with her legs wrapped around yours so you can't get away

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Long Road 8378

What a lovely thread! There are so many sad stories out there about horrible cruelty to animals, it's just fab to read about all the pets who are adored by their humans!

Our fella is gorgeous boy who just LOVES his cuddles, they're the best. Nothing better than coming home to that. He's also clever enough to know that when there are treats or biscuits on the go, that his big overdramatic hugs and kisses will usually pay off in the form of something tasty! I love our guy so much, he's like a child to us. Very hard to explain to others who aren't pet people.

BTW, our lil guy has a Mayo accent and for some random reason we gave him a lisp.

Advertisement