Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navel piercing

Options
  • 24-08-2011 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Is a navel piercing sore? What kind of after care is needed? Can you choose to have a ring or a bar in it? Thinking of going to Snake Bites as i have heard they are good and am getting cold feet! :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

tis torture tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

Hi there from my own experience it's like someone pinching your skin really hard which hurts but when it stops it doesn't hurt any more! I had mine done 10 years ago & you HAVE to keep the area clean afterwards. I used savlon wound wash at the time to clean the area - did it religiously every day so never had any infection or problems. Unfortunately I think this is discontinued now so use a good disinfectant like Dettol or Savlon or Chlorhexidine. I know someone who didn't clean it as much & she got an infection. I was given a ring initially as you had to rotate the ring through the piercing & it was easier to clean the ring too. Changed to a bar after about 2 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 wally2603

It's not the worst pain it does hurt but not for long, if you clean it properly after getting it done the pain goes away alot quicker. I used to clean mine twice a day by filling a pint glass with boiling water and sea salt left it to cool down until it was lukewarm then just held the glass over the piercing and against my skin for a few minutes and applied the cream that was recommended after and mine was fine after one week..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

misschoo wrote: »
    Hi there from my own experience it's like someone pinching your skin really hard which hurts but when it stops it doesn't hurt any more! I had mine done 10 years ago & you HAVE to keep the area clean afterwards. I used savlon wound wash at the time to clean the area - did it religiously every day so never had any infection or problems. Unfortunately I think this is discontinued now so use a good disinfectant like Dettol or Savlon or Chlorhexidine. I know someone who didn't clean it as much & she got an infection. I was given a ring initially as you had to rotate the ring through the piercing & it was easier to clean the ring too. Changed to a bar after about 2 months.

The stuff you're suggesting is too harsh for a fresh piercing, and would probably cause issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

The stuff you're suggesting is too harsh for a fresh piercing, and would probably cause issues!

I said from my own experience this worked for me! Obviously you would have to dilute down any of those disinfectants. I had absoultely no problems with my own piercing using this cleaning method & you would follow the advice given to you by the person doing the piercing.

What sort of "issues" are you talking about?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

You could irritate the sh*t out of the piercing by using dettol or disinfectants as they're way too harsh on a fresh piercing. Just stick to reliable sea salt soaks and you should have no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭kev_like

mary_hayes wrote: »
    Is a navel piercing sore? What kind of after care is needed? Can you choose to have a ring or a bar in it? Thinking of going to Snake Bites as i have heard they are good and am getting cold feet! :o

Personally I wouldn't think that a navel piercing would be too sore, it's not a very tender area and most of my friends who've had it done (standard and reverse navel) said that the pain wasn't much compared to other piercings :)

Lip piercings tend to do sting a good bit, but it's just the initial fear that you should aim to get over, I myself have had dozens of lip piercings (only my vert snake bits, jestrum and one standard lip left tho ;p ). Just make sure the piercer uses nice long bars (10mm or so should be fine,depending on the thickness of your lip).

You generally get the option to have a bar or a ring, but tbh it's much easier and less painful to heal it with a bar. If it's a ring you really want I'd suggest going for the bar for the initial healing process and then swap it out to a ring a few weeks later.

You could irritate the sh*t out of the piercing by using dettol or disinfectants as they're way too harsh on a fresh piercing. Just stick to reliable sea salt soaks and you should have no problems.

I'll agree with you on this one, it's always best to use sea salt and warm water for at least the first week or two. Dettol, if not diluted properly, can end up doing more damage than good to a fresh piercing. So if it's a novice you're giving advice to I'd keep away from suggesting any disinfectants.

Advertisement