Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lecs Luther - Luther (Official video)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Friend put this up on Facebook a few days ago, was very impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Odd Future influence maybe a bit too naked, but tbh I'm getting a bit sick of Tyler and chums so this is welcome. Good stuff.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I heard this a week or so ago, initially i thought it was Earl!
    Really like this, just hope that he can roll more stuff out at this standard. Sounds like he has a lot of influence from MF DOOM as well.

If you have any more stuff by him can you post it up here?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Razrule

Next week is coming another song of him, and later we gonna put his mixtape out Fish&Chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

Good track and good video too, well done.

One thing I've noticed though if that was a white guy rapping like that there would be a host of people replying with "why are you rapping with an American accent!". You wouldn't be able to tell he's Irish at all never mind a dub.

Keep up the good work though man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Jordans n Timbs

not feelin it....too soft.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

One thing I've noticed though if that was a white guy rapping like that there would be a host of people replying with "why are you rapping with an American accent!". You wouldn't be able to tell he's Irish at all never mind a dub.

Initially I thought he was American, I was wondering why a rapper from the US would rock a retro Liverpool top haha.

In all seriousness I was very impressed. Want to hear more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Look at the top comment on YouTube!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

It's good. Very Odd Futurey, but I like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Like was said if he was white he'd get laughed off this board. Hope he reverts to his real accent eventually but with the encouragement he's getting off the music press to act yank he's not going to do that in a hurry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Not bad.
    Seen this on youtube titled "dia duit"/'dia dhuit'.

Who is the Earl he sounds like? Earl sweatshirt?
    They don't sound similar at all really.

Shapey your accent and music is terrible and that opinion is well off too, what about this track would get him laughed off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Inkyhead

This is very good. Slick as f*ck. Is he actually Irish though? Or does he just live in Dublin?

@conor I know my musics no good sure I only have a mess about at it.

He's from Dublin and has a dublin accent. Don't blame the guy half the rappers in this country started out using yank accents. Just reflection of our music media that are hyping up the wrong thing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

ahhh, the age old irish rapper accent debate :D

I dont really notice an accent at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

On one hand, I can understand why he's going with the American accent thing. Hip hop is really an American brand, and it definitely plays a part in somewhat Americanising everyone. If he listens to a lot of US hip hop, it's hardly unusual that it would rub off accent-wise, and I don't know if the Dublin accent is really the nicest accent in the world to listen to, or sounds as easy on the ear as an American or British accent. On the other hand, the very essence of hip hop is surely about being yourself, and being from Dublin and having an American accent is not really being yourself.

I like him though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

has anyone heard the guy speak? a lot of black folk i've met in ireland, or at least the black guys who have two african parents, often have more neutral accents than people from their area who have Irish parents. I guess in large part due to the fact that they don't have irish accents in the house from birth.

now this lad may have a really thick dublin accent for all I know, but having never heard him speak other than in this song, I'm just wondering if anyone can actually say for sure that he is rapping in a completely false accent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭EarlyStorms

This kid is very impressive. It's clear he's hugely influenced by Doom and probably latching onto the OF hype but you can’t deny he's got skills. The whole accent thing doesn’t bother me. It looks like he's made the right decision anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

He's sounding pretty good. Interested to hear some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭PoppyRowe

I'd have to hear his real accent to judge his rapping accent. All in all the song is doppppe, but the odd future nods are a bit overindulgent. However, as said before the song is doppppppe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I've heard 2 more of his songs and this one really is his best offering. The other two don't have the polish this does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭JimiWonderDoor 92

I like it.

As for the accent, well I don't think it's fair to criticise him when you consider certain English musicians of the 60s selling Americans their own music back to them with an American/Mid-Atlantic accent.

It irritates me a little, the accent, but its more pleasant than a dub accent.
    Also, from young African guys i know a lot of them do 'Put On' these Americanisms in their everyday speech, to the point where it becomes natural.

Perhaps he can be the next big thing in Irish hip hop but he best stay clear of battling Blind Boy :cool:

TBF, I think the cadence of an "American" accent lends itself a lot more immediately to some genres.

I've heard another one of his songs, not as good as the one in the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

He has a few more vids up on the Youtube account "Lecsington".

I love the beat in that video and the production on the other stuff of his I heard is pretty good.

From meeting Irish-Africans, most of them have a slightly different accent, probably from listening to their parents speak. I don't think he sounds like he's trying to be American, if that's the way his voice comes naturally when he raps, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭GodlessInfidel

It's not just rappers that put on false american accents it happens in all music genres,

take those losers the Script or the Coronas one would never guess they are irish by listening to them sing

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ciano444

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RZMFOjpSoQ&feature=feedf
    New tune. Banging in my opinion, videos sick too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 yehslaw

Has a real Earl Sweatshirt beat. I like it though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

TBF, I think the cadence of an "American" accent lends itself a lot more immediately to some genres.

More rappers should start doing **** in French and Japanese...both sound ****ing amazing.

Japanese maybe, French rap and hip hop makes me cringe, although I know it's hugely popular in some quarters.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 mangsta

Technically Sufficient
    But Im Not Feeling Him At All

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

This kid is very good, some quality tracks of his on YouTube. Hope we hear more from him soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ItsNugget

I know people wanna make excuses for this guy as he is a good rapper and it seems more acceptable that he's not a white rapper with a fake accent but he has a dublin accent when he talks. Has nothing to do with being african or anything he grew up ireland. Friend of mine used to do tracks with him.

ItsNugget wrote: »
    but he has a dublin accent when he talks. Has nothing to do with being african or anything he grew up ireland. Friend of mine used to do tracks with him.

What's your point?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

His point is that everytime a white lad raps in an American accent he gets slated, and rightly so.

If a rapper from Compton started rapping with a Georgia accent, he would get slated, and rightly so.

This lad has a Dublin accent and is using a fake american accent when he raps, he should be slated for it.

Pretty much what seaneh just said.
    Lecs seems to be doing well and fair play to him for that.
    But people seem to wanna make excuses for the accent when the fact is its just a fake accent.
    If i did it i'd be ridiculed. Whats the difference in this case?

• Advertisement

Maybe he realised that rapping in a Dublin accent is something that no one wants to hear?

Sorry lads, I couldn't care less where this kid is from, he sounds good. Would he sound better if he rapped in an Irish/Scottish/Welsh accent? No.

If he asked you what sounds better being rapped - an "American" accent or a Dublin accent, what would you say?

Nobody? Bit of an exageration pal. Apart from the one vid that got a bit of blog exposure i have a good few vids with way more views than everything he's done. Theres plenty of irish rap vids online with 5 or 6 times the plays his highest viewed track has.

Oh a fake accent sounds better? Cool. Maybe every roddy doyle film and michael collins should have been done in fake yank accents so? Same thing.

ItsNugget wrote: »
    Nobody? Bit of an exageration pal. Apart from the one vid that got a bit of blog exposure i have a good few vids with way more views than everything he's done. Theres plenty of irish rap vids online with 5 or 6 times the plays his highest viewed track has.

Oh a fake accent sounds better? Cool. Maybe every roddy doyle film and michael collins should have been done in fake yank accents so? Same thing.

You and countless other Irish rappers have been around for a lot longer than Lecs has, it's not surprising that you have more YouTube views than him. Give it time, I'm betting it won't be long until he surpasses plenty of the better-known Irish rap acts.

And yes, to be fair, the fake accent does sound better. An American accent will always sound better than an Irish accent when it comes to rapping and Lecs knows that. Would Cheryl Cole sound better if she sang in her thick Geordie accent? Same thing.

If he does fair play to him.

Im talking about vids uploaded this year man and in fairness hes around a while. As i said a mate of mine was doing stuff with him a couple of years back. Im not trying to make myself out to be bigger or better than him. Just replying to the fact you said nobody wants to hear what i do.

I dont listen to cheryl cole mate. If you do maybe go try another forum. Would the dubliners sound better in a fake yank accent? Would damien dempsey?

Hiphop is supposedly about "keeping it real" whats real about rapping in a fake voice thats not yours. I've heard american rappers slate international acts for rapping in yank accents as they think it looks a joke. Lupe fiasco criticised people who entered spins competition for a track with him as they had fake accents. In the end nucentz won and is doing a track with him. Rappers in non english speaking countries rap not only in their own accents but their own language. Look at the UK scene and how big it is now. Its that big as they have their own sound and dont just copy the u.s. Would dizzee rascal and pro green be better off rapping in a fake accent?
    American accents sound more natural to people at most things as were constantly exposed to it. Its also a blend of all different accents from people emigrating there. But i see no reason to immitate it and be something im not.

Not a fan of Cheryl myself, just an example off the top of my head.

Just saying I don't think the kid "should be slated" simply because he doesn't rap in a Dublin accent, he's doing his own thing his own way and sounds like most of the people here think he's pretty good, don't understand why it bothers anyone to the point where they'll say that he deserves to be slated, people coming on saying he actually has a Dublin accent as if they're exposing him and making him out to be some kind of a fraud. Let him rap the way he wants to rap, why should he feel like he has to rap in a Dublin accent if he doesn't want to?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

On the whole "nobody want's to hear a thick dublin accent thing" again.

The most successful hiphop acts from this country have all rapped in their own accents, same goes for the UK, France, and anywhere else.

Look at Scary Eire, all using their real Tullamore and Dublin accents.
    Class A'z, Nu Centz, Urban Intelligence (RIP Luni), all using their real dublin accents.

The most successful Irish rapper to date, who's current song is play listed on BBC1 Xtra, Kiss and a few others in the UK, was listed as Kiss's "big song of the week" last week, is currently finishing his album which has guest spots from people like Apathy and Soul Khan and tracks produced by people like J57, has shared the stage with everyone from Ice T to Jay Z in the last few years, he raps in a thick Wexford accent and gets mad respect and shout outs in the UK and the US, every rapper or producer worth a **** in the north east of the US knows him, Should Rob Kelly stop using his real accent and start rapping in a fake yank accent?

What about The Infomatics who beat several of irelands most love indie bands to win The Raw Sessions and later released an album that was raved about by music journalists both here and abroad, both MC's using their real accents.
    Should they pack it in and say feck it, let's sound like Slug.

I never said he should be slated. As i said several times fair play to him he's doing well.

My issue was more that people were trying to defend the accent by saying he was african, maybe he has a neutral accent etc. I came on here and just dropped the simple fact that he has a dublin accent in real life just like i do, but i wouldnt get away with a fake accent. Your response was to tell me nobody wants to hear me. I responded to that.

"he's doing his own thing his own way" he's not really its a fake accent and his sound is a rip off of earl, hardly his own thing.Thats not slating. Just my two cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

the irish accent sounds terrible, be it dublin or a country one, its just sounds shyt, also the majority of "rappers" who promote their videos on here are cr@p.
    dont mean to offend, but lets be honest here.

this guy is actually good, he sounds good, and his songs are good, id check his stuff out.

the colour of his skin has nothing to do with it, if a white guy sounded like him, and his songs were as good, id feel the same.

i think people can over look the accent because hes actually talented.

tbh theres too many over sensitive "rappers" on here, quit making excuses, this guy is more talented than you, get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

oh yeah, and the liverpool jersey, thats a win right there, im a a fan of his now.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    the irish accent sounds terrible, be it dublin or a country one, its just sounds shyt, also the majority of "rappers" who promote their videos on here are cr@p.
    dont mean to offend, but lets be honest here.

this guy is actually good, he sounds good, and his songs are good, id check his stuff out.

the colour of his skin has nothing to do with it, if a white guy sounded like him, and his songs were as good, id feel the same.

i think people can over look the accent because hes actually talented.

tbh theres too many over sensitive "rappers" on here, quit making excuses, this guy is more talented than you, get over it.

I simply can't listen to Irish rap apart from one song and that's be someone by redzer.
    Any other Irish rap just isnt for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

just had a listen there talk about copying someone's style, nothing original about this chap talented yes but he just hoped on the tyler creator/odd future bandwagon wouldn't impress me in the slightest.

I'm starting to think nobody in the US gives a rats arse where you're from or if you're pretending to be something else. The biggest guy of the last few months is ASAP Rocky and he's a kid from Harlem using Houston accents and flows. Drake is at the same craic and he's from Canada.

It's pretty inauthentic but maybe there aren't as many people worried about that kind of thing as you might think.

To be honest I think if you don't use your own accent you can't write anything personal so it's kind of limiting. I'd say he'll grow out of it but when the media, blogs and fans are getting behind him so enthusiastically when he's pretending to be something else then it's not going to motivate him much to be himself, which would probably be a lot more interesting than this.

Most of the country started out rapping with other accents. RíRá used to sound like he was from the UK cos he was listening to their stuff and copying their cadences. It's a phase everybody goes through but they usually ditch it down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    I simply can't listen to Irish rap apart from one song and that's be someone by redzer.
    Any other Irish rap just isnt for me.

the reason why most of us cant listen to irish rap imo is because our culture is not hip hop and it isn't urban.

people have to understand that hip hop is more than just music in america its an actual culture and movement something that it will never be in Ireland.

young irish rappers who want to rap fair enough its your own choice but imo you wont be taken serious by the vast majority of us, id like too see young irish musicians to be original and create there own sound similar to that of the dubliners etc it doesn't have to be hip hop.

Look what happened in the London scene years ago, garage music was created it was original and fitted the time period it was genius fair enough it might have stemmed from hip hop/dance, was a concoction of both but at least it was different and wasn't a group of artists rapping about meaningless sh*t like most irish rappers.

Even grime has its own unique sound and has kind of evolved from garage, Irish hip hop clearly doesn't have its own identity and isnt taken serious by hip hop fans here, england and all over the world.

Nothing worse than a paddy thinking he has it hard because he grew up in his local council estate, been arrested a few times, few scraps here and there etc and all of a sudden he raps from a perspective that he's come from poverty to the extent of what its like in america or even london.

then you have the other paddy rapping from the perspective that he is a lyrical god because he can rhyme random words to the extent where he isn't even making sense just rapping about meaningless and utter sh*t.

Fair if people dont like irish accents in rap but this whole "nobody takes it seriously" "nobody will ever like it" attitude is quite ignorant considering i constantly get stopped walking down the street walking through places all over the country by people who listen to my stuff. I get people adding me online everday saying they love my music or bought my album on i tunes. So clearly there are people who like it.

"Own sound like the dubliners" I love the dubliners but theyre a folk band(folk music existed for centuries before them so did most of their songs) that never wrote 1 song between them. Half their songs were english and scottish trad songs.

Think their hard? I think your listening to some bad examples. And as for poverty. Do you really think every american rapper that talks about poverty lived that life? A lot of the more well known u.s. rappers were brought up in middle class backrounds. Xzibit for instance. Kanye west talks about being poor but his ma was a heart surgeon. That list goes on.

Also lol at hugh cream. You got banned for trolling me on this same forum a year ago.
    Im not sensitive at all. I dont care if people hate what i do. Plenty more like it. As i said fair play to lecs hes doing well. I just dont agree with faking who you are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement