Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lecs Luther - Luther (Official video)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

the reason why most of us cant listen to irish rap imo is because our culture is not hip hop and it isn't urban.

people have to understand that hip hop is more than just music in america its an actual culture and movement something that it will never be in Ireland.

young irish rappers who want to rap fair enough its your own choice but imo you wont be taken serious by the vast majority of us, id like too see young irish musicians to be original and create there own sound similar to that of the dubliners etc it doesn't have to be hip hop.

Look what happened in the London scene years ago, garage music was created it was original and fitted the time period it was genius fair enough it might have stemmed from hip hop/dance, was a concoction of both but at least it was different and wasn't a group of artists rapping about meaningless sh*t like most irish rappers.

Even grime has its own unique sound and has kind of evolved from garage, Irish hip hop clearly doesn't have its own identity and isnt taken serious by hip hop fans here, england and all over the world.

Nothing worse than a paddy thinking he has it hard because he grew up in his local council estate, been arrested a few times, few scraps here and there etc and all of a sudden he raps from a perspective that he's come from poverty to the extent of what its like in america or even london.

then you have the other paddy rapping from the perspective that he is a lyrical god because he can rhyme random words to the extent where he isn't even making sense just rapping about meaningless and utter sh*t.

Em, nonsense. You clearly heard only of the rubberbandits and redzzer from 2007?

I think Rob kelly hanging out with jay-z in a celtic scarf and recording with slaine, for example, shows they are respected.

Irish people stereotyping irish people.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

ItsNugget wrote: »
    Also lol at hugh cream. You got banned for trolling me on this same forum a year ago.
    Im not sensitive at all. I dont care if people hate what i do. Plenty more like it. As i said fair play to lecs hes doing well. I just dont agree with faking who you are.
    trouble with that was, you wanted positive reviews, if i followed you around praising you you wouldnt have cared less, in fact you would have loved that.
    i told you you were cr@p so you reported me accusing me of trolling.

as for being fake, your fake, what you rap about you have not gone through, thats fake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    trouble with that was, you wanted positive reviews, if i followed you around praising you you wouldnt have cared less, in fact you would have loved that.

as for being fake, your fake, what you rap about you have not gone through, thats fake.

Man i don't exactly like his music but I respect him as an artist, but you can't start saying stuff like that.
    Calm down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Em, nonsense. You clearly heard only of the rubberbandits and redzzer from 2007?

I think Rob kelly hanging out with jay-z in a celtic scarf and recording with slaine, for example, shows they are respected.

don't talk about nonsense conor god knows you talk enough of it, impossible to even make sense out of what your saying most of the time.

its my opinion, I think Irish hip hop is laughable at the best of times. I dont care if jay z comes out and tells us that nugget is the next big thing and we should all buy his music, im not going to buy it im not a fan and never will be of irish hip hop it just lacks substance, originality and most importantly quality its just bad music imo.
    Fair if people dont like irish accents in rap but this whole "nobody takes it seriously" "nobody will ever like it" attitude is quite ignorant considering i constantly get stopped walking down the street walking through places all over the country by people who listen to my stuff. I get people adding me online everday saying they love my music or bought my album on i tunes. So clearly there are people who like it.

its not ignorant its the truth imo. It may be hard to take and im not knocking you or anyone else who raps good luck with it i wish you well but i just cant take it serious thats just me.

nugget I really dont care who adds you on social network sites and the likes, we live in a world where people jump on the bandwagon of the latest youtube sensation it doesn't necessarily mean they have talent, You obviously have a big enough name on the irish hip hop scene the same way as the local slut with big t*ts and a nice ass has over 3000 friends on facebook! Dont let that get to your head whatever you do, at most your a big fish in a very small pond (irish hip hop).

There's obviously going to be people who like it but as i said the vast majority of people wont, im sure your album sales would reflect that to those of another Irish artist making different music from another genre, and thats not taking a cheap shot thats making a point.
    Think their hard? I think your listening to some bad examples. And as for poverty. Do you really think every american rapper that talks about poverty lived that life? A lot of the more well known u.s. rappers were brought up in middle class backrounds. Xzibit for instance. Kanye west talks about being poor but his ma was a heart surgeon. That list goes on.

I never said I did, there's always going to be some real and some fake its like a legit cop vs the crooked cop at the end of the day both of them are cops.

some people don't care about the history of a rapper and where he comes from etc all they care about is if he makes good music and that's fair enough i can completely respect that but as i said before I just cant take irish rappers serious thats just me you might think its ignorant i think its just plain bad music (most of it).

you go on about fake accents and how lecs luther uses it but honestly just because you rap in a dublin accent doesn't mean your original your just like lecs luther you are both influenced by the american hip hop culture and a scenario none of you live in hence me saying ye will never be taking seriously because imo its the truth, Ireland just isn't the place for it, if it was a lot more irish rappers would actually be heard of instead of a few likes on youtube and a couple of facebook requests and at best a few records sold which it seems to me is your opinion of irish hip hop being successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ItsNugget

Ha i reported you? No i didnt im not that sad pal. A mod seen your constant stalking and mailed me to say he banned ya for it. I didnt care you didnt like my music. Many dont. Paddy doesnt as he just said. Thats fair enough. But you started trolling u.s. music and battles i linked up which other people thanked me for posting. Thats kinda bunny boilerish.

Im fake? What i rap about? Not in the slightest pal. Your fake you hide behind a fake name on the internet, ya get banned for obsessively trolling people. Ask around my area people know me. I've never claimed to be anything im not. Im a normal bloke who raps.

MUFC i dont wouldnt let anything go to my head, i dont think facebook fans or youtube views = fame. Im no under the illusion im famous at all. All im saying is to say nobody will ever like it is ignorant as people obviously do. I was just giving an example of people who like it.

I also never claimed to be anything original. Not once have i said that. I just said lecs is fake for using a fake accent.

As i said before if ya dont like irish hiphop thats grand like nobodies forcing you to. But to say nobody will ever like is ignorant as some people do.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Man i don't exactly like his music but I respect him as an artist, but you can't start saying stuff like that.
    Calm down.
    lol like what.:confused:

lol like what.:confused:

Like telling him he's fake.
    You don't know him, you cant tell him what he is and is'nt man.

MUFC i dont wouldnt let anything go to my head, i dont think facebook fans or youtube views = fame. Im no under the illusion im famous at all. All im saying is to say nobody will ever like it is ignorant as people obviously do. I was just giving an example of people who like it.

I also never claimed to be anything original. Not once have i said that. I just said lecs is fake for using a fake accent.

As i said before if ya dont like irish hiphop thats grand like nobodies forcing you to. But to say nobody will ever like is ignorant as some people do.

look fair enough, we will just agree to disagree mate i get where your coming from.

but i never said nobody will ever like it, i said the vast majority wont thats all.:)

• Advertisement

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Like telling him he's fake.
    You don't know him, you cant tell him what he is and is'nt man.
    its no more than what hes been saying about lecs luther.
    im willing to bet he raps about subjects that has nothing to do with himself, things he never done.
    i know thats common place in music but its as fake as luther not using a horrible sounding voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

One thing I'll give Lex credit for is having better taste in beats than 99% of Irish accented rappers.

I do not get how people say they never liked never like anything, it is stupid to brush something off without giving it a chance. Anyway it is a closed case since you brushed off an entire genre.

Btw, I used to think Nuggets music was **** (well, it was)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

The Irish accent doesn't work in rap music, the same way it doesn't work in reggae music. Who wants to a converted rastafarian from Limerick over a reggae beat?

Going to see The Game tomorrow and noticed Rob Kelly is supporting so had a look at a few vids on YouTube. I don't really care about how many followers he has or whether or not he followed Jay-Z's entourage around for 10 minutes backstage, his music is pure ****. His accent does not belong in hip-hop, it's ridiculous, literally sounds like it could be a piss-take.

Every kind of (real) accent belongs in hip hop. To say otherwise is ridiculous. If you don't like irish rap then you've probably listened to **** all of it. RiRa did a few reggae tinged tracks that sounded spot on.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Beats are better than the majority of irish rappers and the kid is what 19? Hopefully he keeps improving, irish hip hop is, for me, dire at times, cringeworthy lyrics and overall music i can't relate to, bar MJEX who avoid the whole twee and stereotypes. Says alot when the message in american hip hop rings out louder than the home grown stuff, so why wouldn't up and comers want to imitate that? Quality shines out.

Scary Eire are possibly the best example of what is sh-ite about irish hip hop. And all their hand me downs, awful awful stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Every kind of (real) accent belongs in hip hop. To say otherwise is ridiculous. If you don't like irish rap then you've probably listened to **** all of it. RiRa did a few reggae tinged tracks that sounded spot on.

If that's what spot on sounds like these days, the country really is ****ed.

Irish reggae, for the love of god say it ain't so.:eek:

"the accent doesn't belong in hip-hop" - that is nonsense, unless of course you think no one outside the bronx should rap either?

What about English, French or Canadian Hip-Hop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

What about English, French or Canadian Hip-Hop?

Never said anything about them, just Irish. English and French hip-hop works far better than Irish hip-hop. Especially when the Irish rapper has a thick Wexford accent. There's little to no difference between Canadian and American to be fair, there's very little difference in accents, so that comparison is just pointless.

Wow, I can't believe someone would just disregard a whole set of music based on accent.

• Advertisement

Wow, I can't believe someone would just disregard a whole set of music based on accent.

if it doesn't sound good it doesn't sound good simple as.

How a song is delivered is a huge part of the enjoyment, or in this case, part of the reason the majority of people do not enjoy Irish rap.
    Why is that hard to believe?
    Of course it's not the main reason, the main reason being the music is just awful.

Yes, if you find it terrible then that is the end of that.

But saying you will never ever like a song of that genre and saying the accent does not belong in hip-hop is just really odd.

But saying you will never ever like a song of that genre and saying the accent does not belong in hip-hop is just really odd.

not really, im sure if a few african lads started making irish music id say the same aswell as them being a laughing stock around most traditional irish music fans.

if irish hip hop had a bit of originality like what happened in london with the garage and grime scene which stemmed from hip hop/dance maybe my opinion might change but until then 1 word describes most of it awful.

I'm not sure I'd say it doesn't belong, if your only having a laugh and under no illusions well then fair enough.
    But the reality is, the accent sounds awful, same way people complained about em and his accents, or I've even seen people talk about drakes voice.
    If the voice is wrong, the whole song suffers.

not really, im sure if a few african lads started making irish music id say the same aswell as them being a laughing stock around most traditional irish music fans.

if irish hip hop had a bit of originality like what happened in london with the garage and grime scene which stemmed from hip hop/dance maybe my opinion might change but until then 1 word describes most of it awful.

Wow, that is even worse. So you have to be American or black to make hip-hop? or what is your point?

I'm not sure I'd say it doesn't belong, if your only having a laugh and under no illusions well then fair enough.
    But the reality is, the accent sounds awful, same way people complained about em and his accents, or I've even seen people talk about drakes voice.

Eminem has since taken the piss out of those stupid voices, and Drake uses autotune or whatever the hell he does to his voice not quite the same thing at all.

Wow, that is even worse. So you have to be American or black to make hip-hop? or what is your point?

Eminem has since taken the piss out of those stupid voices, and Drake uses autotune or whatever the hell he does to his voice not quite the same thing at all.

Wow Conor honestly what are you trying to say? Because I say African you bring skin color in to the discussion whip out an encyclopaedia you will find that there are White Africans too, since we were talking about accents I would assume an African person with an African accent singing Irish music would be similar to an Irish man rapping in his local Tongue completely copying the american hip hop culture.... If I said an Asian instead of African would that makeca difference or would you still try to sublimenly call me racist?

I'm not even going to explain my piont to you because you clearly struggle to grasp basic posts, I said Irish hip hop lacks originalty now if you cant understand that educate yourself.

It's exactly the same, the Irish accent sounds much worse than what em used to do, and a million times worse than drake using auto tune the odd time.

It's about how a person sounds while performing, the Irish accent sounds stupid, it ruins the song.

More than that though is the fact that the majority doing it are rubbish.

Ok, you don't have to like it, obviously, but inherently disliking something based on an accent is stupid.
    I would like to know how I need to educate myself because you think it lacks originality and I don't - do you have a newsletter "mufcboy1999"?
    I don't see how you took that up as me calling you racist anyway, I cba responding anymore after this.

Back to discussing Lecs Luther.

Ok, you don't have to like it, obviously, but inherently disliking something based on an accent is stupid.
    but its not stupid, why cant you grasp that?
    the accent is ridiculously horrible, it will always ruin the song, you cant say its stupid to dislike a song based on the accent and then turn around and criticize drakes voice.
    the auto tune thing im not even sure about, has he used it that much?

and it is exactly the same thing, voice/accent, whatever, its what attracts you to music in the first place.

• Advertisement

I think it is stupid to inherently dislike a whole genre of music and to say it does not "belong" in hip-hop.

Especially the last part.

So Lecs Luther....

btw the unfortunate thing about an irish accent is it kind of all sounds the same.
    the dublin guys all sound alike, as do the country lads.

I think it is stupid to inherently dislike a whole genre of music and to say it does not "belong" in hip-hop.

Especially the last part.
    you need to take that up with prettyboy mate.

if its stupid to inherently dislike a whole genre of music does that mean i have to like death metal, or emo, or techno?

is it stupid that i dislike death metal?

I would like to know how I need to educate myself because you think it lacks originality and I don't

I would like to know how you seem to think accents dont effect the quality of the music and I do.
    do you have a newsletter "mufcboy1999"?
    dont ask questions if you are not going to respond.

It is called an opinion "mufcboy1999".

So Lecs Luther huh, a youtube comment mentioned he moved to America, if that is true we will definitely be hearing more from him soon.

is it possible he lived in America for a time, hence the accent?

It is quite possible, not according to people who know people who have recorded with him though.

He is finishing up his mixtape, should be interesting.

It is called an opinion "mufcboy1999".

So Lecs Luther huh, a youtube comment mentioned he moved to America, if that is true we will definitely be hearing more from him soon.

well done conor you have learned something today, now you can stop bustin our balls because a few of us think the irish accent in hip hop is rubbish as well as the actual music.

its called an opinion as you said so shut the trap and stick to lecs luther and stop calling people out on their opinions.

i should take what has been said on here about him with a pinch of salt, envy and jealousy kind of makes people say strange things.

would be strange to just up and out of the blue move to america, seems young to go out there for work.
    if its for the music why would he bi pass the uk when thats thriving at the moment.

if he is gone to me its quite possible that there is a connection.

• Advertisement

btw not meaning to harp on about it, but conor referred to something as stupid, personally i think the most stupid thing about this thread is the fact that the race card was pulled, totally pathetic.

So Lecs luther ye...

btw not meaning to harp on about it, but conor referred to something as stupid, personally i think the most stupid thing about this thread is the fact that the race card was pulled, totally pathetic.

Agreed. Imagine saying Irish people shouldn't make hip hop, or pretend to be American instead. In this day and age.

Agreed. Imagine saying Irish people shouldn't make hip hop, or pretend to be American instead. In this day and age.
    i said neither.
    but the fact remains, pulling the "if he was white" card is pathetic, and the actions of a loser, blame everyone, or anything while neglecting the fact you're not very talented.

i use the word you're in the general sense.

its no more than what hes been saying about lecs luther.
    im willing to bet he raps about subjects that has nothing to do with himself, things he never done.
    i know thats common place in music but its as fake as luther not using a horrible sounding voice.

Name 1 thing i ever rapped about that i dont do? You can as your just trolling for the sake of it. "willing to bet" = never listened just guessing.
    If by thing i never done you mean making myself out to be a drug dealer, a hardman or a criminal of some type then your way off. Im none of those things and would never make myself out to be. Now keep trolling. It soothes my ego.

im not trolling nugget, i along with many other people are just being honest, maybe you shouldnt post videos if you cant take criticism.

maybe you shouldnt criticize other people if you feel you yourself are above criticism.

but hey keep telling yourself im trolling, if its good for the ego.

• Advertisement

Your being honest? By telling me i make up lies in my songs and not backing it up at all and then avoiding it in your reply? Name one example of me lying on tracks?

I can take criticism no bother. Several people in this thread said they dont like my music, i said grand i respect that. My problem is you telling me im fake apparently? Just like a year ago when i'd link american hiphop or battles and you come in threads just to insult me. Thats trolling. So much you got banned. Big man on the net yeah.

Now name an example of my lies or dont expect a response. Go back to wishing you had a girlfriend and a social life

Your being honest? By telling me i make up lies in my songs and not backing it up at all and then avoiding it in your reply? Name one example of me lying on tracks?

I can take criticism no bother. Several people in this thread said they dont like my music, i said grand i respect that. My problem is you telling me im fake apparently? Just like a year ago when i'd link american hiphop or battles and you come in threads just to insult me. Thats trolling. So much you got banned. Big man on the net yeah.

Now name an example of my lies or dont expect a response. Go back to wishing you had a girlfriend and a social life
    what went on a year ago has nothing to do with this, I have said nothing in here that a lot of other people have said.
    and I stress this, I have never resorted to acting the big man lol.

As for backing up what I said, obviously I can't but if you are saying everything you have ever said in your music is true and has happened to you then I don't believe you.

By saying that though I'm in no way accusing you of being fake on a rick Ross level, I never mentioned drugs or crime.

I found the thread that you'se 2 lads were arguing on last year and i have to say this is just a repeat of last year.
    It will result in ban or two at least.:p

Go back to wishing you had a girlfriend and a social life
    Lol just noticed.
    Ye like I said, if criticism hurts your feelings don't promote yourself and definitely don't criticise another guy trying to make a name for himself.

"what went on a year ago has nothing to do with this"
    It does when you got banned for stalking me around this forum posting in threads that had nothing to do with my music.

, I have said nothing in here that a lot of other people have said.

Your right a lot of other people havent said it.

"As for backing up what I said, obviously I can't but if you are saying everything you have ever said in your music is true and has happened to you then I don't believe you."
    Ok so you admit its an ignorant assumption of yours but you'll stick to it anyway. Fair enough.

Im done arguing as paddy said its just history repeating itself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement