Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lecs Luther - Luther (Official video)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

One thing I'll give Lex credit for is having better taste in beats than 99% of Irish accented rappers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I do not get how people say they never liked never like anything, it is stupid to brush something off without giving it a chance. Anyway it is a closed case since you brushed off an entire genre.

Btw, I used to think Nuggets music was **** (well, it was)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

The Irish accent doesn't work in rap music, the same way it doesn't work in reggae music. Who wants to a converted rastafarian from Limerick over a reggae beat?

Going to see The Game tomorrow and noticed Rob Kelly is supporting so had a look at a few vids on YouTube. I don't really care about how many followers he has or whether or not he followed Jay-Z's entourage around for 10 minutes backstage, his music is pure ****. His accent does not belong in hip-hop, it's ridiculous, literally sounds like it could be a piss-take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Every kind of (real) accent belongs in hip hop. To say otherwise is ridiculous. If you don't like irish rap then you've probably listened to **** all of it. RiRa did a few reggae tinged tracks that sounded spot on.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Beats are better than the majority of irish rappers and the kid is what 19? Hopefully he keeps improving, irish hip hop is, for me, dire at times, cringeworthy lyrics and overall music i can't relate to, bar MJEX who avoid the whole twee and stereotypes. Says alot when the message in american hip hop rings out louder than the home grown stuff, so why wouldn't up and comers want to imitate that? Quality shines out.

Scary Eire are possibly the best example of what is sh-ite about irish hip hop. And all their hand me downs, awful awful stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Every kind of (real) accent belongs in hip hop. To say otherwise is ridiculous. If you don't like irish rap then you've probably listened to **** all of it. RiRa did a few reggae tinged tracks that sounded spot on.

If that's what spot on sounds like these days, the country really is ****ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

Irish reggae, for the love of god say it ain't so.:eek:

"the accent doesn't belong in hip-hop" - that is nonsense, unless of course you think no one outside the bronx should rap either?

What about English, French or Canadian Hip-Hop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

What about English, French or Canadian Hip-Hop?

Never said anything about them, just Irish. English and French hip-hop works far better than Irish hip-hop. Especially when the Irish rapper has a thick Wexford accent. There's little to no difference between Canadian and American to be fair, there's very little difference in accents, so that comparison is just pointless.

Wow, I can't believe someone would just disregard a whole set of music based on accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Wow, I can't believe someone would just disregard a whole set of music based on accent.

if it doesn't sound good it doesn't sound good simple as.

How a song is delivered is a huge part of the enjoyment, or in this case, part of the reason the majority of people do not enjoy Irish rap.
    Why is that hard to believe?
    Of course it's not the main reason, the main reason being the music is just awful.

Yes, if you find it terrible then that is the end of that.

But saying you will never ever like a song of that genre and saying the accent does not belong in hip-hop is just really odd.

But saying you will never ever like a song of that genre and saying the accent does not belong in hip-hop is just really odd.

not really, im sure if a few african lads started making irish music id say the same aswell as them being a laughing stock around most traditional irish music fans.

if irish hip hop had a bit of originality like what happened in london with the garage and grime scene which stemmed from hip hop/dance maybe my opinion might change but until then 1 word describes most of it awful.

I'm not sure I'd say it doesn't belong, if your only having a laugh and under no illusions well then fair enough.
    But the reality is, the accent sounds awful, same way people complained about em and his accents, or I've even seen people talk about drakes voice.
    If the voice is wrong, the whole song suffers.

not really, im sure if a few african lads started making irish music id say the same aswell as them being a laughing stock around most traditional irish music fans.

if irish hip hop had a bit of originality like what happened in london with the garage and grime scene which stemmed from hip hop/dance maybe my opinion might change but until then 1 word describes most of it awful.

Wow, that is even worse. So you have to be American or black to make hip-hop? or what is your point?

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'd say it doesn't belong, if your only having a laugh and under no illusions well then fair enough.
    But the reality is, the accent sounds awful, same way people complained about em and his accents, or I've even seen people talk about drakes voice.

Eminem has since taken the piss out of those stupid voices, and Drake uses autotune or whatever the hell he does to his voice not quite the same thing at all.

Wow, that is even worse. So you have to be American or black to make hip-hop? or what is your point?

Hugh Cream wrote: »

Eminem has since taken the piss out of those stupid voices, and Drake uses autotune or whatever the hell he does to his voice not quite the same thing at all.

Wow Conor honestly what are you trying to say? Because I say African you bring skin color in to the discussion whip out an encyclopaedia you will find that there are White Africans too, since we were talking about accents I would assume an African person with an African accent singing Irish music would be similar to an Irish man rapping in his local Tongue completely copying the american hip hop culture.... If I said an Asian instead of African would that makeca difference or would you still try to sublimenly call me racist?

I'm not even going to explain my piont to you because you clearly struggle to grasp basic posts, I said Irish hip hop lacks originalty now if you cant understand that educate yourself.

It's exactly the same, the Irish accent sounds much worse than what em used to do, and a million times worse than drake using auto tune the odd time.

It's about how a person sounds while performing, the Irish accent sounds stupid, it ruins the song.

More than that though is the fact that the majority doing it are rubbish.

Ok, you don't have to like it, obviously, but inherently disliking something based on an accent is stupid.
    I would like to know how I need to educate myself because you think it lacks originality and I don't - do you have a newsletter "mufcboy1999"?
    I don't see how you took that up as me calling you racist anyway, I cba responding anymore after this.

Back to discussing Lecs Luther.

Ok, you don't have to like it, obviously, but inherently disliking something based on an accent is stupid.
    but its not stupid, why cant you grasp that?
    the accent is ridiculously horrible, it will always ruin the song, you cant say its stupid to dislike a song based on the accent and then turn around and criticize drakes voice.
    the auto tune thing im not even sure about, has he used it that much?

and it is exactly the same thing, voice/accent, whatever, its what attracts you to music in the first place.

• Advertisement

I think it is stupid to inherently dislike a whole genre of music and to say it does not "belong" in hip-hop.

Especially the last part.

So Lecs Luther....

btw the unfortunate thing about an irish accent is it kind of all sounds the same.
    the dublin guys all sound alike, as do the country lads.

I think it is stupid to inherently dislike a whole genre of music and to say it does not "belong" in hip-hop.

Especially the last part.
    you need to take that up with prettyboy mate.

if its stupid to inherently dislike a whole genre of music does that mean i have to like death metal, or emo, or techno?

is it stupid that i dislike death metal?

I would like to know how I need to educate myself because you think it lacks originality and I don't

I would like to know how you seem to think accents dont effect the quality of the music and I do.
    do you have a newsletter "mufcboy1999"?
    dont ask questions if you are not going to respond.

It is called an opinion "mufcboy1999".

So Lecs Luther huh, a youtube comment mentioned he moved to America, if that is true we will definitely be hearing more from him soon.

is it possible he lived in America for a time, hence the accent?

It is quite possible, not according to people who know people who have recorded with him though.

He is finishing up his mixtape, should be interesting.

It is called an opinion "mufcboy1999".

So Lecs Luther huh, a youtube comment mentioned he moved to America, if that is true we will definitely be hearing more from him soon.

well done conor you have learned something today, now you can stop bustin our balls because a few of us think the irish accent in hip hop is rubbish as well as the actual music.

its called an opinion as you said so shut the trap and stick to lecs luther and stop calling people out on their opinions.

i should take what has been said on here about him with a pinch of salt, envy and jealousy kind of makes people say strange things.

would be strange to just up and out of the blue move to america, seems young to go out there for work.
    if its for the music why would he bi pass the uk when thats thriving at the moment.

if he is gone to me its quite possible that there is a connection.

• Advertisement

btw not meaning to harp on about it, but conor referred to something as stupid, personally i think the most stupid thing about this thread is the fact that the race card was pulled, totally pathetic.

Advertisement