Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap tailors...?

Options
  • 24-08-2011 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭

im based in marino dublin 3 so preferably city centre or surrounding area for tailor to make up a tie for a debs
    been quoted in some places €30-€35 :eek: the fabric it self cost me €25 so €55 for a tie im only going to wear once for a few hours is a bit steep surely there has to be a decent priced tailors some where :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Sounds about right. Making a tie by hand takes about an hour and it takes some skill to do right, the tailor will also have to use an interlining in it which will have to be cut on the bias, meaning it wastes about a meter of interlining for a single tie. There's little enough that can be done by machine on it, because the tie has to have a lot of flex and literally needs to be tied in a knot the stitch along the "spine" has to be very loose and will usually be handsewn.
    Try blacktie, they used to make them for about €10-15 but they keep the tie and rent it out in the future to help defray the cost. If it's not a tie you'll use again that might be the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

its just iv heard people getting them done cheaper but its way out of my range of travel got one done last year in the place i tried today for €15 and decided to go again and was told €30 so made my excuses and split
    and funny enough the one i need made this year is the exact same as last years and its gone :( i guess if push comes to shove guess ill have to pay it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Assumming your going with a girl, Is she getting a dress made? if so get the dress maker to make it up.

Dancor wrote: »
    Assumming your going with a girl, Is she getting a dress made? if so get the dress maker to make it up.

the dress was coming from America she was measured here and details sent over. i managed to find a place there this morning €15 so not too bad compared to €30-€35 in city centre

Share the knowledge! Whereabout did you get it done? :)

• Advertisement

tailors beside graingers pub on the malahide road small shop hidden under the barbers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

spider_pig wrote: »
    tailors beside graingers pub on the malahide road small shop hidden under the barbers :)

I can't recommend that tailor enough. He's well regarded within the industry, very well priced, and on top of that he is such a nice chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

discus wrote: »
    I can't recommend that tailor enough. He's well regarded within the industry, very well priced, and on top of that he is such a nice chap.

Wow, never knew that! I work nearby and don't own a car so this would be a perfect spot to go to, thanks.

Edit: Anyone have a contact number/email? I'l like to get an estimate first as I've about six shirts, two trousers and a few jackets that need work done.

discus wrote: »

you sure its where im talking about he is a she? one owns it and another old lady works there with her

i dont think things are looking good on the tie i was told it would be ready today and was then told she (the owner) had not got it done yet to come tomorrow
    i had found out before going in my friend had same problem last year left material in a week and three days before the debs and was told a certain day,he came in and no not ready
    he came the next and the next and same again not ready
    he stressed he needed it the following day after that then to come in again and it still wasnt done after a week and 3 days he took the fabric back on the day of the debs and had to look for a place to get it done and paid way over the odds for that service and it looks like its going to happen me as well
    Anyone have a contact number/email? I'l like to get an estimate first as I've about six shirts, two trousers and a few jackets that need work done

got it today 01-8054750

Lol, Cheap for a reason, evidently...
    Bite the bullet and get the cloth back off her while you have time. Take it to somewhere decent.

• Advertisement

that shouldn't be a way to run a business letting people down like that giving them the run around

Nope, definitely shouldn't. If she tells you it's "already started" tell her you want to see it, if it is actually started you're SOL.
    Oh and if you do end up having to pay her, ask her for a VAT reciept. :D If she's not reg'd it'll be worth the hassle just to watch her squirm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

spider_pig wrote: »
    that shouldn't be a way to run a business letting people down like that giving them the run around

That's fairly ****ing awful man, sorry to hear you were let down like that.

How'd you get on anyway Spider Pig?

it was made on the day only charged me a 10er and seeing the one that cost 35 in town how they made there's it was very badly made compared to this one
    it was like they just got the length of fabric and cut two triangle ends on each side kind of looked and felt like a hanky
    this one she made for me was folded over to make it nice and thick and all made up into a tie just had to put it over the head and pull to tighten,it was perfect

Advertisement