Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogging in Galway!!

Options
  • 24-08-2011 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

In tomorrow’s Connacht Tribune:
    A local senator was “gobsmacked” to learn that around 40 locations in Galway – including near a primary school in Oranmore – have been listed as areas where people engage in sex acts in cars in front of onlookers.
    The practice, known as ‘dogging’, appears to be spread widely in the city and Salthill, Oranmore and Barna, as well as towns and even small villages across the county.

LINK: http://www.facebook.com/ConnachtTribune

Maybe they were just bored and stuck in Galway's traffic! Still though, surprising one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Let me guess Fidelma is moving on from the anti-games crusade to dogging?

I remember 6 or 7 years ago at work we were all amused that the first google result for a search for "barna woods" at the time was dogging-ireland.com or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

do the kids go to the primary school in the middle of the night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Strewth. What was FHE searching for when she found that information?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

There were posters on the prom over the summer for a charity event called a Dogathon, a walk of dogs along the prom.

Everytime i saw the posters i had images of people flooding into Galway for that weekend having picked up the wrong idea:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Maybe she counted 40 locations for dog dirt along the Prom...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

outdoor activities that one more need to join up two , think been going on for along time , real happen in dublin cork area more then here , just bored and stuck in Galway's traffic! most the car with black out windows
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

She probably means the 40 polling stations in Galway West where she got more than 1 vote the last time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

It used to be much harder to watch before Councilor Crowe got rid of the trees.
    Sur' he's one of our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Forty ‘dogging’ locations in Galway leaves Senator ‘gobsmacked’
    August 25, 2011 - 7:30am
    TD calls to Gardaí to monitor areas named on website
    BY ENDA CUNNINGHAM

A local senator has said she was “gobsmacked” to learn that around 40 locations in Galway – including near a primary school in Oranmore – have been listed on a website as areas where people engage in sex acts in cars in front of onlookers.

And a Galway Dáil Deputy has called on the Gardaí to monitor the areas and have the website shut down.

The practice, known as ‘dogging’, appears to be spread widely in the city and Salthill, Oranmore and Barna, as well as towns and even small villages across the county.

However, Gardaí have said the law is untested when it comes to the activity, but added they “will not tolerate it”.

Senator Fidelma Healy Eames said the activity is inappropriate, particularly when teenagers on school holidays could be exposed to it.

When contacted by the Connacht Tribune, she said: “I’m gobsmacked. I wasn’t aware of this activity. I’m sure the general public in Oranmore and the other locations wouldn’t want to think this is part of their parish is being used for.

“What is of concern to me is that young people, teenagers, may be exposed to it. There is a vulnerability there. It’s inappropriate,” said Senator Healy Eames.

In all, a total of 38 locations in Galway are listed by users of the UK-based website as locations to watch others having sex in cars in public places. The website has almost 100,000 members.

Galway West Deputy Noel Grealish said it was “absolutely disgusting” that the activity was going on in areas where it could be witnessed by children.

“It’s absolutely disgusting. I’m bringing it to the attention of the Gardaí. I’ll be asking them to monitor these areas, and have the website shut down. God knows what effect this would have on children and young people who might come across it,” said Deputy Grealish.

Read more in today's Connacht Tribune

It does sound like its widespread. Dirty feckers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

They really should dedicate an entire page in each week's Tribune to what has 'Outraged FHE' this week.

She really should visit a few of these dogging spots.....if ever there was a woman who needed a good ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Well someone should put her on a lead...

Honestly there was an article about this going on in Limerick a month or two back. Not like she's doing her own research just jumping on the bandwagon.

I wonder under what law they will try and shut the web site down?

Is this just the first in a plan of changes where the gov will be looking to tax people for having sex? Or they want to cut out this activity that is supporting crime gangs.... Also if you are dogging for more than 2 hours at a time you could die! They are asking Durex to install a chip in their products that will stop the user after 2hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

father_ted_down_with_this_sort_of_thing.jpg?w=477

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

That's old news. I vaguely recall something about that a few years ago. Anyway, I've said it before and I'll say it again, it would appear that the good senator has a bit of time on her hands.

When contacted by the Connacht Tribune, she said: “I’m gobsmacked."

Oh the jokes the jokes the jokes...............:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I assume these activities don't take place during daylight hours, do they?

So what I would be concerned about is what teenagers and kids are doing in locations such as Barna Woods after dark in the first place.
    And apart from that - I BET most teenagers have been exposed to worse on the internet than some probably average people having sex in a car.

Why people would want to do that (sex? in a car? how awkward...) is a different question, but as long as they're not doing anyone any harm, what's the damage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

If they want rid of the activity, all they need do is warn that FHE will be partaking from now on at random sites. No-one will risk that.

Nearly time to get Rover ready for his evening stroll :D

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Methinks I will have to leave the bicycle at home for a while and dust down the oul' car. Now for Google Maps. Where's Barna Woods again? ... Mind you, I don't think I'll risk Oranmore.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

On a vaguely related note there seamy seem to be Amy prostitutes on the streets in Galway. I lived in Cork and Dublin and there's known places where they are on street corners. But nit in Galway and I even lives by the docks for a while.

There are obviously prostitutes in
    Galway I presume. But how not in the streets; town too small?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

I think I saw FHE peeping in my car window the other night.....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

dinneenp wrote: »
    On a vaguely related note there seamy seem to be Amy prostitutes on the streets in Galway.

Amy Prostitute - is that like 7 of 9?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

galah wrote: »
    I assume these activities don't take place during daylight hours, do they?
    It wasn't recently, but I've seen it in the carpark in Barna Woods when bringing the kids for a walk around 3pm on a Sunday.

Since then I always park in Cappagh Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

Where to take my nightly stroll.....? hmm :pac:

http://www.swing4ireland.com/galway-dogging-locations.html

Ones of these nights I'm going to sneak up to one of the cars "parked" at Renmore beach with a gong and flashlight, with a pretty good escape route planned - of course.

If anything this is publicizing those dogging stops and I can envisage a lot more people using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

galah wrote: »
    I BET most teenagers have been exposed to worse on the internet than some probably average people having sex in a car.

Next weeks Tribune:
    Oranmore Senator outraged at disgusting content of Internet

Do you think they would publish the best sites where this disgusting content can be found

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I do doctorchick, i think they will even add flood lights and webcams:)

scholar007 wrote: »
    Nearly time to get Rover ready for his evening stroll :D

Well, just got back in and tried all the recommended sites. Poor oul Rover is not impressed, he was plying a lady dog with doggie biscuits all evening (spent 20 yoyos on her) and he even had a blast of those doggie chewy things (to freshen his breath and to ensure his teeth were healthy and white before he ventured out) and just as he seemed to be getting somewhere I had to drag him off home. I said, no Rover - sure ya can't be doin things like that in public..!!! He's not a happy doggy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Can anyone here honestly say that have been involved in "dogging"?

I just can't imagine it actually happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

In Barna Woods there is alot of Condom wrappers on the ground in the smaller trails off the main trails (if that makes sense).They are beside beer cans and around burnt out camp fires too.Theres a notrious area known as Mags Boreen which is a beach between Silver Strand and Barna Pier that alot of men only "congregate" in for "social activities":rolleyes:.That area of beach is well known by the locals around there for all of that activity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

a few months ago i was walking home by the railway line around 5 in the evening, i came up to a group of people watching a couple at it, very Surreal and funny, my opinion let them at it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement