Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Up to Date William St Pics?

• 24-08-2011 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hi,

I haven't been back home in a while.Just wondering has anyone got some recent pics of the current pedestrianisation of William St?
    I think it's due to be completed before Christmas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭cackhanded

Which Christmas? :D

Still a building site all the way up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

New footpaths from O'Connell St. to Little Catherine St. Just plain grey paving, not like Thomas St. I had thought there would be some trees planted but I didn't see any provision for them on the Brown Thomas side. Not so sure about the opposite side.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll try to get a few pictures for you tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

Cheers for that.So is it a half-arsed job that's been done on the cheap or does it look half-decent?It's been crying out for an upgrade for years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

sleepyman wrote: »
    Cheers for that.So is it a half-arsed job that's been done on the cheap or does it look half-decent?It's been crying out for an upgrade for years...

No it looks good, and unlike the job that was done on Thomas Street and Bedford Row, it actually is suitable to the Irish climate. Thomas Street and Bedford Row get very slippy on wet days.

The trees will go in once the whole street is finished. Otherwise they will be damaged with the continuing work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Here's one from last week:

Image0265.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

It looks good in my opinion. It is being done on a smaller budget compared to Thomas street as they are using precast concrete pavers rater than natural stone. This gives it a boring uniform grey colour, but it is still a huge improvement on what was there before. Sarsfield street, O' Connell st to Little Catherine st and from Wickham st to Roxboro road are pretty much finished. They are working in the section in between at the moment. Hopefully they will put some nice street furniture in to brighten it up when all the major building is complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Goofy wrote: »
    It looks good in my opinion. It is being done on a smaller budget compared to Thomas street as they are using precast concrete pavers rater than natural stone. This gives it a boring uniform grey colour, but it is still a huge improvement on what was there before. Sarsfield street, O' Connell st to Little Catherine st and from Wickham st to Roxboro road are pretty much finished. They are working in the section in between at the moment. Hopefully they will put some nice street furniture in to brighten it up when all the major building is complete.

Anything's better than the tarmac stuff they put over the pavement in the first place!

What section is next after this is finished?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll try to get a few pictures for you tomorrow.

Looks like I own't be able to get into town today after all. Apologies for that. I'll see if I can get a few photos early tomorrow instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Looks like I own't be able to get into town today after all. Apologies for that. I'll see if I can get a few photos early tomorrow instead.

I'll get some tonight when I get home if I remember!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

I dont think there will be too many trees on william street as there is a lot going on underground ( services, cellars etc) and the trees will have no room to spread their roots.
    slinky2000 wrote: »
    What section is next after this is finished?

Do you mean after William street is finished? Not sure to be honest. I think they said that Patrick/O Connell streets are next on the list but they also said that this wont start until the orbital route is finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Johns Square is next I think

Advertisement