Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting tax evasive landlord

Options
  • 24-08-2011 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

Hello there,

I was living in a house for 9 months last year which the landlord was very unprofessional.

Since then I have realised he had not registered us with the PRTB and more then likely had not paid his taxes. I paid over the odd's rent and feel was cheated because he was not reporting his extra income, whether or not he had to pay tax on it does not matter.

how do I go about reporting this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seithon

Actually just contact the revenue service and ask to claim back your taxes on it, should be a simple matter of just supplying your former address and provide some evidence of when you moved in etc and how much you paid.

They'll pay you back and then go after him themselves, most likely with some pointed questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Next time you do this

Tell your landlord at the start you want his PPS number to claim rent allowance.
    He'll say no way so you say grand, I'll go to revenue anyway

He'll offer to drop the rent, maybe not four hundred a year but you'll get something off, twenty or thirty a month would be good

Then when you move out, still claim your rent allowance and let Revenue deal with him

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- lets be calm and rational here.

First off- a tenant does not need a landlord's PPSN in order to claim rent allowance.

Secondly- it can take bizarre lengths of time for the PRTB to publish details of registered tenancies- it doesn't mean its not registered.

Thirdly- a Landlord does not need a tenants PPSN to register a tenancy- though it makes matter easier if he is given it.

Fourthly- While the landlord may be evading tax- you have no proof whatsoever that this is the case- and insinuating otherwise could complicate any transaction you hope to have with him/her- suggesting to a prospective landlord that they reduce the rent in lieu of registering the tenancy and paying the tax due in their annual tax return- is fraud on the part of both parties- and would be treated as such by any Revenue inspectors.

Please do not advocate fraud to anyone- it really doesn't matter whether you get caught out today or tomorrow- but you will get caught out, and the consequences will far exceed any potential tax bill (landlord) or saving on rent (tenant) that may have accrued.

To the OP- claim your rent allowance- you're entitled to it- however do not make any assumptions whatsoever as to the tax status of the landlord- and don't accuse him or her of any shenanigans- if they are diddling their taxes, they will get caught.

There is an entire unit in Revenue looking at property lettings and cash-in-hand trades at present- anyone contemplating doing anything on the side- would be foolhardy in the extreme.

As a final warning to all- if anyone advocates fraud or illegal activities of any nature in this forum- you will be banned, without exception.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

Advertisement