Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you pay in rent a week? (Melbourne)

Options
  • 24-08-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

What area do you live in?

&

How much is your rent weekly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭cooper90

285 a week in Richmond. its a lot but its a nice place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You can check gumtree for shared rents

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Good rule of tumb is closer you go the city the higher the rent . Also the closer to public transport the higher the rent .

take a look at rent page on Realestate.com.au

You'll see that down the coast towards Frankston rents in the 250 - 500 a week range

While in near the city say Richmond your talking 350 - 600

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

3 bedroom house in Prahran-650 a week

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

I was in a fully furnished apartment in southbank that cost me $1000/week but a 3 bed house unfurnished out in the suburbs is only costing 300/week and i'm only 30 mins from cbd.
    Depends on what you are looking for, is it for yourself or family? plenty of house shares and rooms for rent on gumtree if you are single but it can be more difficult/expensive if you're not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Bobo1985

Hey, we have a double room to rent smack bang in the middle of St kilda.

Details in the following post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73857835

PM if you want more details :)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

I was in a fully furnished apartment in southbank that cost me $1000/week

That sounds like it was a short let? If so, that doesn't really count as it's not how most would rent in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

1000pm for double room in one bed apartment. So 500 each for me and my gf. Another fella lives in the living room and he has the lease. In the cbd, two minutes from Melbourne central. Very happy with it. Found on gumtree

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

$320 per week ($1387 p/m) for a 2 bedroom ground floor apartment in Brunswick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

$910 per month for a 1-bed 3rd floor apartment in Brunswick. Looking to move into a house soon. A bit further out you can get 2 bed houses for $300-350 per week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

$420 per week for a 1 bed apartment in Southbank.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

$410 p/w for a 2bed unfurnished apartment in St Kilda East

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭seanie_k

We are paying $350 p/w for a 2 bedroom (could be 3 but use one as a dining room/store room) house in yarraville. Its no palace but its decent sized place with big back garden and a front garden. 5 mins from the train station. pretty happy with it.

last year we payed $300 p/w for a 3 bedroom house in Point Cook. lovely house but **** location.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

Yeah the rents in the west were very attractive but everyone was telling us to stay clear, so glad we did now, there are nice houses to be found in the east and at reasonable prices if you look hard enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Jeebus H Christ

$185 p/w for a room in a 2 bed apartment in St. Kilda East.

Yeah the rents in the west were very attractive but everyone was telling us to stay clear

Ahh the West is grand. A couple of dodgy spots but you get that everywhere. Yarraville and Seddon are lovely spots. And handy for the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

seanie_k wrote: »
    Ahh the West is grand. A couple of dodgy spots but you get that everywhere. Yarraville and Seddon are lovely spots. And handy for the city.

Where in the west is dodgy, im thinking of renting there purely because its close to the city a cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

350 p/w for bedroom in 2-bed fully furnished modern apartment in Southbank

Where in the west is dodgy, im thinking of renting there purely because its close to the city a cheap

What parts you looking at?

Footscray has a fair few junkies and that. We go there nearly every week to the markets. I kinda like the place, good restaurants and that. I have never been there at night. I went there on a Sunday once cause I didnt realise the markets were closed on a Sunday. Everything was closed and it was a bit of a ghosttown except for a few junkies and winos. Felt a bit dodgy that day. But thats only around the main street. Not sure what the rest of it is like. I get the train through it everyday and loads of suits get on at footscray. Its definitely not all bad.

Sunshine has a bad name but ive never been there so cant comment.

As I said earlier Yarraville and Seddon are great spots. Loads of cafes, nice restaurants, few bars. Nice old cinema where you can have a beer or wine when at the flicks. Bit of an arty type place. Only 15 mins on the train to flinders street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Cheap equals dodgy. But nowhere bad in Melbourne is as bad as somewhere "bad" in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

Rent is high compared to Ireland but as Zambia said nowhere bad is as bad as in Ireland. One thing I have noticed from my old place and current place is the windows over here, we've had slight problems with damp in our last place. They're not modern apartments and single glazed windows are installed which is not ideal because Melbourne gets such a cold Winter for Australia. Maybe it's just standard practice over here because of the warm Summer but double glazing would be suitable for Winter. Have people noticed that over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

sonic.trip wrote: »
    .... thing I have noticed from my old place and current place is the windows over here, we've had slight problems with damp in our last place. They're not modern apartments and single glazed windows are installed which is not ideal because Melbourne gets such a cold Winter for Australia. Maybe it's just standard practice over here because of the warm Summer but double glazing would be suitable for Winter. Have people noticed that over here?

The standard of glazing/insulation here is pretty poor compared to back home. We live in brand new apartment with basically a wall of single glazed glass, I haven't seen double glazed windows anywhere in Melbourne, though I'm sure they exist.

I've been in weatherboards in winter where you could fly a kite in living room with draughts running through the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Same in Sydney, single glaze equals codensation during winter.

I did live in a modern townhouse a few years back that had DG but its not the standard, winters are fairly mild and short here.

Non issue the other 9 months of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Non issue the other 9 months of the year.

Nail on the head there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

seanie_k wrote: »
    What parts you looking at?

Footscray has a fair few junkies and that. We go there nearly every week to the markets. I kinda like the place, good restaurants and that. I have never been there at night. I went there on a Sunday once cause I didnt realise the markets were closed on a Sunday. Everything was closed and it was a bit of a ghosttown except for a few junkies and winos. Felt a bit dodgy that day. But thats only around the main street. Not sure what the rest of it is like. I get the train through it everyday and loads of suits get on at footscray. Its definitely not all bad.

Sunshine has a bad name but ive never been there so cant comment.

As I said earlier Yarraville and Seddon are great spots. Loads of cafes, nice restaurants, few bars. Nice old cinema where you can have a beer or wine when at the flicks. Bit of an arty type place. Only 15 mins on the train to flinders street.

Seen a few cheap places around west footscray & maidstone areas

Seen a few cheap places around west footscray & maidstone areas

Ive never been to MAidstone but just from looking at the map Id rule it out because it doesnt look like there is a train station there. In Footscray your only minutes from the CBD on the train. Have you been to Footscray? you should take a spin out there and have look. Its pretty different but id live there.

I think West Footscray might be getting near the dodgier end, as you get closer to Sunshine. Still, I havent seen much of that area so I'm no expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

wow rent here seems to be crazy prices. wouldnt want to be working a minimum wage job.

Advertisement