Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foam board to hard board.

Options
  • 24-08-2011 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi,
    Had my first go on a 7'6 hardboard today. It was so much more difficult than the foam boards I've previously used. I just couldn't use it!
    How long does it take to get used to them? Its only my 5th attempt at surfing. Should I keep to the foam boards for now?

Thanks
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MACtic

Maybe it was just too short for you and wasn't buoyant enough. What’s your height and weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kerinsp

I'm 5'10 and about 75kgs last time I checked.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm much the same size as you, learned on a 7"9 hardboard. It's hard to know really, you'll find it a lot easier to pop up on the foamy and it would be good to get a feel for that before progressing onto the hb, having said that if you tough it out with the hardboard from the off progress will be slower but once you're popping up you'll progress better.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

As a beginner I was recommended to progress from a foam board to an 8'4" hard board, and to pick one with plenty of buoyancy. Tried one out and found it much more difficult at first but started getting the hang of it after a couple of hours. For myself I wanted to be popping up fairly consistently on the foam board before moving on. Am about the same size and weight as the OP.

Thanks, I had no idea hard boards came with different buoyancies. I can pop up on the foam board easy enough so I might keep trying the hardboards. Maybe an 8ft next time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Metalhead Fred

kerinsp wrote: »
    Hi,
    Had my first go on a 7'6 hardboard today. It was so much more difficult than the foam boards I've previously used. I just couldn't use it!
    How long does it take to get used to them? Its only my 5th attempt at surfing. Should I keep to the foam boards for now?

Thanks
    Paul

Hey man, I'm a beginner myself, about 5'10 63kgs. Started surfing last week, the first 3 times I went I used the foam boards, then the 4th time I went I used a 7'6 hard board. I couldn't believe the difference! I was very wobbly on it at first when paddling and found it a lot easier to nosedive.
    I was in the water for 4 hours, I just kept at it and was really getting the hang of it towards the end. Just keep at it man, also couldn't hurt to try a slightly larger board next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MACtic

I'd say try a little bigger board, i.e. 7'10 and you will notice the difference.

Thanks all. I'll try to rent out an 8ft hardboard next time and take it nice and slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

Almost all boards are surfable for people of all sizes and weights.
    To be honest all you really need is to practice and get comfortable,
    pros don't take new boards out into 15 foot teahupoo without trying em out first.

I surfed my 6'4 shortboard for 3-4 years straight, I then borrowed a foamie from a friend for 3 days recently and when I went back to my shortboard I was wobbling all over the place and kept falling off my board when popping!
    It took me a good 2 sessions to feel comfortable with my shortboard again.
    You just gotta be patient with new gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

Its a big step up from a foam board to a hard one, sort of like starting all over again,

for beginners bic do a great fat magnum 8'4 thats pretty cheap as well,

http://www.kingofwatersports.com/bic-surf-79-natural-surf-2-surfboard-2011-copy-i17070.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement