Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sociology as a LC subject?

• 24-08-2011 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

I read a while back that Sociology may be coming in as a Leaving Cert subject.

Can anyone verify if this is true or not. I cannot find the article I read it in but I would love to know the authenticity of this information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

My history teacher said that to us to, but I can't verify if it isn't a rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

I haven't heard anything about it, but I don't see why they would. Sociology makes up quite a big part of the Home Ec course already, and it's incorporated into Religion as well. Although I do think there should be more subjects in the LC, just like for A Levels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is a Society and Politics subject which was proposed years ago by the NCCA, intended as a follow on to aspects of subjects such as CSPE, ESS, Home Ec., Geography and History. As far as I know it got as far as a syllabus but was never piloted, since anything that costs extra money was cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I'm not too sure if this is the same thing but I heard Politics was coming in as a Leaving Cert subject too. It could very easily be an SP( Sociology and Politics) subject. Kind of a better version of CSPE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Violafy wrote: »
    Although I do think there should be more subjects in the LC, just like for A Levels.

More subjects is certainly the way to go and for sure students shouldn't have to take 6 subjects for the LC. Sure for A levels you do 2 or 3 at pre-degree level. There really is no comparison, the Irish education system sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Having done alot of sociology in college last year. I find it impossible to see how they could bring it in to be honest. Sociology is a subject that is very waffle orientated and their is a load of sociology jargon that is associated that has to be used. Then there is research methods to add to that.

It would be hard to come up with a fair marking scheme for the subject and is one thing I really didn't like about sociology, there is no clear cut answear.

Advertisement