Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weigh bridge/tram turning point in Blackrock ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

If you view that on the old 1870 osi map it's listed as an 'Icehouse' :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Icehouse - somewhere to store meat? or even a morgue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Yeah, originally an icehouse like that would have been a cold store, but the building in its current condition doesn't look like it's old enough to have been on that OS map. You can see another one towards the coast on the 1870 map in the grounds of Blackrock House or Blackrock Lodge.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

The building there now is an ESB substation afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Is this the green space with the iron art in the middle of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Fred - yep, that's the one. I was passing it again the other day and I noticed that the dip or depression isn't as distinct as I thought, but it does look different than the rest of the area.

The climb up Temple Hill from Blackrock is quite distinct, the same goes for the climb up Temple Park Avenue from Seapoint Avenue, so I thought the dip stood out a bit (especially given the history of mini-quarries in the general DL area used for things like the railway) but in looking at it again it's possibly just a dip.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

zagmund wrote: »
    Fred - yep, that's the one. I was passing it again the other day and I noticed that the dip or depression isn't as distinct as I thought, but it does look different than the rest of the area.

The climb up Temple Hill from Blackrock is quite distinct, the same goes for the climb up Temple Park Avenue from Seapoint Avenue, so I thought the dip stood out a bit (especially given the history of mini-quarries in the general DL area used for things like the railway) but in looking at it again it's possibly just a dip.

z

I grew up on Temple Road and if we are thinking of the same "dip" (in front of the cement structure) then there was a bandstand there. I distinctintly remember it as a small child in the 60's when we used to play in that park..there were also swings and a slide over towards the Seapoint Avenue side of the park near where the bus stop used to be. Back then the buses came up Newton Avenue from Blacrock and where the dual carriageway is now was one way towards town.

Advertisement