Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best for teething relief

Options
  • 24-08-2011 10:00pm

I was hoping to find out what other people find best for relieving teething pain. My 4.5 month old is cutting her first tooth and is having a terrible time of it.

Any and all advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Bit of Calpol or Nurofen is always your best bet...

But my two little ladies always loved the Nelsons Teetha granules... so much so that when they saw that little packet they stopped crying!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭franciec

Little fella liked the Nelsons Teetha granules too, the gel I didn't find as good. Or calpol if granules don't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Whiskey ... :D

Just kidding.

We just used a teething ring kept in the fridge. When it got particularly bad we coated it in calpol,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I'd recommend the teetha as well. He cries with excitement when he sees it and stops the minute he has taken it!! Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

I use an amber necklace for my three (4.5yrs, 2.5yrs and 6mths) and have found it great. My 6mth old is wearing it now. Teetha is great when we have a bad night

• Advertisement

Right, must buy some of the granules so. Have been using the gel but she licks it all off her gums straight away. She's no good with calpol - spits it all out - so we've been using suppositories.

@Orion: we did consider using whisky one evening when the chemist was closed!! Didn't try it in the end. I do remember taking a tiny bottle of whisky to school when I had a toothache - worked a treat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Teetha gel on his soother and calpol/neurofen if he was really suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I bought an Amber necklace and put it on my little fella this morning. I don't know if it works but I'm willing to try it if it means I don't have to keep giving him calpol. He's been teething since 10 weeks and still no teeth.

Teetha unfortunately does nothing for him. I find calgel good and I usually get a gummy smile after I give him some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I bought an Amber necklace and put it on my little fella this morning. I don't know if it works but I'm willing to try it if it means I don't have to keep giving him calpol. He's been teething since 10 weeks and still no teeth.

Teetha unfortunately does nothing for him. I find calgel good and I usually get a gummy smile after I give him some.

Where did you get it? (the necklace i mean)

Aisling got 3 teeth together about 2 weeks ago after days/months of agony and grumpiness
    She is cutting another 2 at the moment and i'd give my right arm to have something other than calpol & nurofen to give the poor little mite

teethingsos.com, it's an Irish co based in Mayo. Bought it yesterday morning and it arrived today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Where did you get it? (the necklace i mean)

Aisling got 3 teeth together about 2 weeks ago after days/months of agony and grumpiness
    She is cutting another 2 at the moment and i'd give my right arm to have something other than calpol & nurofen to give the poor little mite

Wish my little maggot would cut teeth quicker... she's 18 months and is only on her 6th tooth!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Using a combo of all of the above (okay not the whiskey!) Not sure my baba likes the granules though and she eats the gel! I currently have an amber necklace around her ankle as im too nervous to put it around her neck after seeing a previous thread here on it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I'm intrigued about this amber necklace?? First I've heard of it?

How does it work? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

from the http://www.teethingsos.com site
    AMBER AND HEALING

Amber has been used to relieve the symptoms of teething in babies throughout Europe for generations. Amber is a pain reliever and anti-inflammatory. When amber is placed against the skin, the warmth of the skin causes it to release the active element - succinite. Succinite is a natural constituent of plant and animal tissue and is involved in the bodies’ metabolic process. The pharmaceutical industry use it today in many products including crop growth, anti-aging, cell renewal and anti-alcohol products and immune system repair products.

No idea if it is true or not, but I know that mine have been much calmer when wearing it, so much so that i am considering getting my older 2 necklaces again.
    as i said above i have used the necklace i have on all 3 of mine and they wear it 24/7, I have no concerns about them wearing it.

mrsberries wrote: »
    Using a combo of all of the above (okay not the whiskey!) Not sure my baba likes the granules though and she eats the gel! I currently have an amber necklace around her ankle as im too nervous to put it around her neck after seeing a previous thread here on it.
    I rang teething sos about the necklace this morning as I wasn't sure what to do at night time and for naps and I know the creche would understandably be nervous with it around his neck as am I. The lady said to put it around their ankle at night time. It wraps around twice and is
    inside their babygro. She said once they get used to it you don't need to do this anymore.
    I think I'll tell the creche to do this for nap time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Thats what Ive been doing Howstrange although it slips off her all the time :D
    Do you put it around your babys neck during the day? A friend does and has not problems with it, I just panicked after I read a thread here a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I'd add that bonjela can be very good for teething as well - especially if you store it in the fridge as then it's cool, which is nice and soothing

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Right, must buy some of the granules so. Have been using the gel but she licks it all off her gums straight away. She's no good with calpol - spits it all out - so we've been using suppositories.

+1 on the teetha granules, we found them great. We use calpol if she still doesn't settle. She didn't swallow calpol either, so got a syringe in pharmacy and squirt a bit into her mouth followed by her soother so she'd swallow it down that way. ;)

Advertisement