Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please do something about your door to door salespeople

Options
  • 24-08-2011 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭

Had a very annoying experience with one of your sub-contracted sales people this evening, ESB peeps. I live in an estate in Dublin 15, doorbell rang at about half six and my wife opened the door.

An indian gentleman in his early 30s wearing a grey ESB electric Ireland sleeveless fleece top and armed with a clipboard started his sales patter about switching to ESB, my wife told him we weren't interested and don't buy anything from door to door salesmen - I was in the kitchen behind her and could plainly hear the conversation.

He told her that he was not selling anything and instead was giving her the chance to switch and save money on her energy bill, and asked her who she was with for gas and electricity. She told him, but again politely said that she wasn't interested.

At this point he raised his voice to my wife in a very aggressive manner and started shouting over her telling her to listen to him, that he wasn't selling anything, and she could save money if she would stop talking and listen to him.

At this point I walked up the hall, opened the door wide so he could see me and told him that he had no right to speak to my wife in such a fashion and that he should leave. He then started shouting at me telling me he wasn't shouting at my wife (:pac::pac::pac:) and that he wasn't selling anything!

I asked him for his name and told him I wanted to know who he worked for, he said "ESB" but I know that is not the case - he refused to give me his name and sloped off down the driveway, no doubt to go and try intimidate someone else.

Can I ask who are these people who are carrying out your door-to-door selling? And why is it that they seem to have absolutely no manners and believe they can behave in a rude, obnoxious and intimidating way to try and pressurise people? From my experience, they are doing more harm than good to your brand if they are all acting like this.

I await your response...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=310324791437

works wonders every time:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Arciphel,

We're very sorry that this has been your experience - that kind of conduct is unacceptable, we completely agree. In order to have the matter investigated for you, can you please send on your details via PM?

Thanks,

David.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why you need to send salespeople door to door, or cold calling on the phone, when you could simply post out the offers to your customers I have no idea.

Personally I think negatively that all cold calls, are trying a hard sell, and I just turn them all away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I agree - post offers to existing customers with their bills. Cold call non-Electric Ireland customers, perhaps, but that should be all. I don't think businesses realise how annoying customers find cold calling sales people. They can actually be counter-productive at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 M&MsGer

Hi David,

I just had a call to my door from someone saying they were from Electric Ireland & wanted to talk to me about June 2008. The gentleman repeated the date several times when I asked what he was talking about. Eventually he explained that it was the time the house's a/c was switched from your books. Then he asked for my details & who's name the bill was in. To be honest, I found the whole thing weird and a little intimidating so I politely said goodbye whilst closing the door.

I live in a Southside estate that door-to-door sales/randomers seem to love and in the last month alone I've had at least 3 calls from people saying they are from your company but this visit was the most uncomfortable.

My question is: are these 'sales' people employed by your company or do you sell details to another company?
    Also, is it really necessary to have so many of your 'sales' people canvasing in the same area in such a short period of time? It's on the verge of harassment at this point & not a lot of fun having these people arrive at your door just when you get in from work!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi M&MsGer,

Sorry to read you are unhappy with this situation. Can you forward me (by private message) the general address and any other details you think might help us to investigate?

Thanks and regards,
    Una

Advertisement