Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building up muscle and fat.

• 24-08-2011 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Took up cycling a few months ago and have a great interest in it but, For a cyclist I have very very skinny legs and just want to know what is the best way to build up fat or muscle on them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

interval training worked for me 20 min warmup,30 secs flat out as hard as you can go 4 1/2 easy and repeat 4/5 times then you can slowly build it up over time
    longer fast(add15 secs when you do) and more repeats. you'll be amazed how it works but i would only do it once a week ,and then lot and lots and lots of miles cycling and eventually you'll get there but it takes time
    i'm only cycling a year and i'm only now starting to get strong but keep at it and it will happen

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Do you just want bigger legs or do you want to become a stronger rider?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ted102

Both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

ted102 wrote: »
    For a cyclist I have very very skinny legs and just want to know what is the best way to build up fat or muscle on them?

Building up Fat? Easy, become friends with the local chinese takeaway delivery lad....

Muscle? Get out on a road bike, pedal up some hills as hard as you can for at least 6 months, then do again for another 6 months....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

OK, well adding fat to your legs won't make you a better cyclist and will mean adding fat elsewhere too. You can't control fat distribution. So forget about that.

The best way to add muscle mass is through some type of resistance training such as intervals or hill repeats. Be warned though, while you will get stronger, getting bigger takes much longer.

There are some very strong cyclists out there with very skinny legs.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Yeah - look at this skinny fecker practising his victory salute:

293284_2280122611965_1515796089_2514338_3645956_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

There are some very strong cyclists out there with very skinny legs.

...and there are some weak cyclists out there with very big legs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

What a guy;)
    "Here’s another one of those ‘podium shots then compare Robert’s thighs to the rest’ photo."

His team were 3rd, but oooh look at his legs compared to the better teams!
    Did his boyfriend take the shots and write the captions ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think for naturally scrawny people it is hard to build up muscle mass. Many years ago I attempted to put on muscle in the gym and failed miserably. I was probably doing it wrong.

There's no way you're going to put on significant mass doing intervals on the bike, unless they're done at 30rpm up a steep hill, and your knees won't like that.

Become a gym queen or appreciate and exploit the body shape you were born with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

ted102 wrote: »
    Took up cycling a few months ago and have a great interest in it but, For a cyclist I have very very skinny legs and just want to know what is the best way to build up fat or muscle on them?

If you are doing the right things on the bike Muscle will develop over time lots of Hill work, power work, intervals , and the key thing i discovered this season learn to rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

That's scary in more ways then one.
    Was fully expecting to see a pic 'Here is Robert naked. Isnt he just beautiful'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

http://www.calfimplants.com/

".............a very popular procedure, which will create cosmetic fullness in the lower leg and can help those men and women who, even after extensive muscular development, can’t achieve the calf muscle toning they desire. Calf implants are best suited for lower leg sculpting, and also can correct muscle imbalance as a result of both physical and congenital defects ("skinny/chicken" legs, bowleggedness, clubfoot, disproportionate calf development........"

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Beasty wrote: »
    Yeah - look at this skinny fecker practising his victory salute:

293284_2280122611965_1515796089_2514338_3645956_n.jpg

Is that yer man from Crystal Swing???? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Raam wrote: »
    WTF?

Ha ha ha your turn now!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

If you have access to a gym then learn to squat. Cycling won't do much for size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

You wont gain any real measurable size unless your eating more that your body needs daily.
    Say you need 2500cals to maintain you would need to eat 3000 a day while hitting the weights hard (for strength and size)

Strength can be built with as was said already riding hills, lots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

CianRyan wrote: »
    :|

I no longer wish to ride bikes...

Is it the hand-drop that bothers you?

100b1286c.jpg?w=450&h=337

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

reilig wrote: »
    Is that yer man from Crystal Swing???? :D

Jaysus I never thought of that. He's the spittin image of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Lumen wrote: »
    :|

I no longer wish to ride bikes...

Is it the hand-drop that bothers you?

100b1286c.jpg?w=450&h=337

An inch or two higher the hand would be fine, it's how the article is written that scares me. Especially the part about his toned ass...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

"Here’s Robert decorating his christmas tree while wearing a tight shirt? Wow, those muscles!"

WTF :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

If you're reading this thread Robert, don't mind them. They're just jealous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

An inch or two higher the hand would be fine, it's how the article is written that scares me. Especially the part about his toned ass...

He'd never get up a hill quickly, the size of him!

Advertisement