Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Global warming 'could trigger alien attack'

• 24-08-2011 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

http://www.tgdaily.com/unbalanced/57984-global-warming-could-trigger-alien-attack?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tgdaily_all_sections+%28TG+Daily+-+All+News%29

Maybe NASA believes that the little green men really are green - one of its scientists has collaborated on a report suggesting that the Earth's rising levels of greenhouse gases could provoke an alien attack.

Using spectrometry, extraterrestrials could detect changes in Earth's atmosphere and deduce that we're out of control, the report suggests. It's one of a number of scenarios discussed in the paper, written by Shawn Domagal-Goldman of Nasa's Planetary Science Division and Pennsylvania State University academics.

"These scenarios give us reason to limit our growth and reduce our impact on global ecosystems. It would be particularly important for us to limit our emissions of greenhouse gases, since atmospheric composition can be observed from other planets," the authors write.

"A preemptive strike would be particularly likely in the early phases of our expansion because a civilization may become increasingly difficult to destroy as it continues to expand."

In some places the authors get really carried away - one wonders how many of them are frustrated would-be Hollywood screen-writers.

If we did get attacked by aliens, they suggest, it's possible that another bunch might fly in to save us.

"In these scenarios, humanity benefits not only from the major moral victory of having defeated a daunting rival, but also from the opportunity to reverse-engineer ETI technology," they say with glee.

We should also be very careful about giving away any information about our biology, they say, as this could be used to genetically engineer biological weapons.

The authors even worry that our planet might not be up to the paperwork and bureaucracy of joining a Galactic Federation.

It's hard to believe that aliens would really need evidence of greenhouse gas increases to decide that we're a pretty despicable species. It's been widely pointed out before that anyone within 75 light-years of here has already seen Hitler in full flow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

what a load of bollix

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

hahaha , little green men :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I'm sorry but

0070_pq3p.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Seems legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I'm more than willing to pay more green taxes in order to avoid an alien invasion. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,573 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Wait until they get our TV signals, then we're really screwed. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

I for one welcome our new green alien overlords:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

dexter647 wrote: »
    I for one welcome our new green alien overlords:D

:D
    http://youtu.be/Xs74VYDNDXE

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A big thread about this in CT (who would have thought they'd talk about aliens in the CT forum?! :pac: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

*puts on tinfoil hat*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I read about that in the Guardian the other day, I just wished someone paid me to come up with these ideas.

We in Ireland killed off the Green aliens in the last election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

would someone please lock this moronic thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Min wrote: »
    I read about that in the Guardian the other day, I just wished someone paid me to come up with these ideas.

We in Ireland killed off the Green aliens in the last election.

Them and their stupid climate change bill . . .:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

like an episode of Star Trek :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Bring back St Patrick!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

So extraterrestrial beings are attacking specs of dust on their radar because we're a nation of Lynx addicts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I'd like to comment on this in the conspiracy forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Them and their stupid climate change bill . . .:mad:

Don't be so negative. When Carbon Tax is increased in the next budget it will cause the catastrophic rise in global temps of 0.3 degrees we have seen over the past 30 years to disappear over-night. You will be wondering then why we did not have this climate change bill even earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Well I'm still waiting for the aliens...
    *disappointed I am*

Advertisement