Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardais not doing their job

• 24-08-2011 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hello

I had problems with scumbags in my area for past two years (since i moved in). Gardais haven't been doing much other than making little roam into the area and driving away. In the last two years I probably required gardais assistance in more than 300 occasions due to heavy anti-social behavior.

I went to local station today and made an inquiry about asbo (anti-social behavior order) and I was told that I'd have to ask about it next time I'm calling gardais. I was told to exactly explain who I wish the asbo to be given to and describe where he is, what is he wearing, how he looks like ,etc.

Just tonight "local lads" decided they're gona have a party on a side of my house. They brought a couch and some bins (what a bunch of mindful fellas to clean up after them-selfs!). I called gardais asked for assistance (as well as firebrigde which arrived about an hour. Patrol arrived - as usually - after 30 minutes (which was quick, with average being about 40 minutes). They arrived. Stopped, looked for a second, reversed their car and they were gone. They finally had them moved when I called to the station again and complained.

Situation has been like this for the past two years. Gardais do nothing to resolve the situation (they arrested a guy once, but that was because he broke someones window that day with a bottle). I think I checked for all possible remedies and all of them require gardais help (even identifying them so I could complain to social welfare), and there's nothing out-there.

My questions are:
    Is there anything I can do to get gardais start doing something about it? Can I bring some sort of motion to court against them (gardais)?

kind regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Forget legal options until you go through the channels

You ask the garda for the sergeant
    You ask the sergeant for the superintendent

Have you done this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

What are the ages of these guys and are they local?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

What is the general area we're talking about? Are you renting or living there?

Have you considered moving elsewhere? If not why not?

Life is far too short for this to be going on so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mstq

@mikemac - I did for both. I even send letter to superintendent. No response whatsoever.

@realdanbreen - Some of them are 18+, majority is or will become 18 this year. There are few younger hanging out with them at ages between 12-16 (Thou it is the "~18 group casing most of the problems).

@adamshred - I bought the house and have mortgage on it. Even if I sold it now, I wouldn't be able to pay down the mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

mstq wrote: »
    @mikemac - I did for both. I even send letter to superintendent. No response whatsoever.

@realdanbreen - Some of them are 18+, majority is or will become 18 this year. There are few younger hanging out with them at ages between 12-16 (Thou it is the "~18 group casing most of the problems).

@adamshred - I bought the house and have mortgage on it. Even if I sold it now, I wouldn't be able to pay down the mortgage.

Ah I see, that's quite unfortunate god all I can say is this country sucks :(

I hope you find a resolution to your problem

• Advertisement

Do you have a Sinn Féin councillor in your area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

mikemac wrote: »
    Do you have a Sinn Féin councillor in your area?

Ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

What exactly are the youths doing that is wrong?

throwing bottles and rocks at my house & cars
    setting up fires on a side of my house
    making parties on a side of my house (and that includes screaming at 3am in the morning and waking you up)
    stealing stuff all over the area

@mikemac - yes, Cllr Shane O' Connor. do you mean it like "go to him, pay him a buck, you won't hear about them ever again" or "wherever sinn fein is, so does scum"?

Just 10 minutes ago they were re-lightning stuff and this time they burned it all down. I called gardais as per usualy. They arrived and I went out to them to show them in which house's garden they are. Gardai said "We won't go in, we will just drive by and take a look". They meant it. They drove by at about 40km/h.

throwing bottles and rocks at my house & cars
    setting up fires on a side of my house
    making parties on a side of my house (and that includes screaming at 3am in the morning and waking you up)
    stealing stuff all over the area

@mikemac - yes, Cllr Shane O' Connor. do you mean it like "go to him, pay him a buck, you won't hear about them ever again" or "wherever sinn fein is, so does scum"?

Just 10 minutes ago they were re-lightning stuff and this time they burned it all down. I called gardais as per usualy. They arrived and I went out to them to show them in which house's garden they are. Gardai said "We won't go in, we will just drive by and take a look". They meant it. They drove by at about 40km/h.

As i asked earlier, are they local youths?
    If so is there any point having a word with their parents?

• Advertisement

I meant it in a way to get you help :)

As i asked earlier, are they local youths?
    If so is there any point having a word with their parents?

Yes. No.

So, As I've managed to identify one of these guys (the one who light the fire)(that was after the other patrol drove away) I called them back to come in so they can sort it out with that guy. Roughly three minutes ago a patrol came in. This patrol was different, then the three previous ones (which were the very same guys). This time they've sent in two female gardais. Anyways, I told them who the guy was and showed them where he lives. I asked, can you go in and give him an asbo. One of them started lecturing me that I will not tell her how to do her job. After saying "it's legislature that does" she said "Well, I haven't seen anything happening". I was told to make a complaint about this guy at the station, but when I bloody went there today I was told to ask for asbo when I call the gardais.

What about the other ablebodied men that live in the area, are they willing to join together and sort this?

What about the other ablebodied men that live in the area, are they willing to join together and sort this?

Doubt it. It's either involved parties or too afraid people.
    I'm pretty much on my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

ASBO's are a complete myth in this country , very common in UK but to my knowledge none have been granted by the courts here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Delancey wrote: »
    ASBO's are a complete myth in this country , very common in UK but to my knowledge none have been granted by the courts here.

Not true
    I know of 2 in the Clare Garda Division

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭everyday taxi

Visit your local TD and demand action. Also evry time you speak to garda, take their badge number (the one on their shoulder), write down your conversation, then ask the same garda to sign it. Get in their face, they are not doing their job. Demand action, and if you get told off, bring your evidence to superintendant, badge numbers, qoutes, response times etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

Delancey wrote: »

Four have been granted in my estate alone.. They are not easy to get
    its a long road you have to go down. To be honest they make no difference at all, it is still a struggle to get them to court and if they are
    under 18 forget it. We went through hell where I live (by the way considered one of the best areas in South Dublin so it doesnt matter where you live!), fortunately it has got a lot better and quietened down considerably. The guards issued an Asbo to both mother and son in one house... I think she is one of the few adults with an Asbo... I hope you get some help from the guards as it is a nightmare when you are going through it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Sempai

Visit your local TD and demand action. Also evry time you speak to garda, take their badge number (the one on their shoulder), write down your conversation, then ask the same garda to sign it. Get in their face, they are not doing their job. Demand action, and if you get told off, bring your evidence to superintendant, badge numbers, qoutes, response times etc.

sure ya may as well caution the garda as well :pac:

I don't think you understand the scope of Garda powers op. If the gardai tell them to move on and they do then they commit no offence. You said they even clean up after themselves. And when one broke a window he was arrested. It sounds like you have well behaved and considerate louts in your estate. The fact that you call the gardai every three days would suggest you might be a little oversensitive to the situation. Also remember that the gardai just can't asbo every youth in the area. They can only be given to individuals following a number of complaints. Complaining about a group of people and then naming one on one occasion is not sufficient to give him an asbo.

If things really are that bad I suggest you video it a few nights and put together a compilation then make an appointment with the local community Garda and show them. You'd make a much stronger case if you had some neighbours with you. If you still arent happy then complain to the ombudsman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    What exactly are the youths doing that is wrong?

You live in a bubble? Did you really need that spelt out?

sealgaire wrote: »
    You live in a bubble? Did you really need that spelt out?

Well yes. There's a big difference between youths having a few drinks in a laneway and youths trashing people's gardens.

Not when they are drinking beside your house till all hours there isn't

Not when they are drinking beside your house till all hours there isn't

What? Of course there is. Drinking beside your house might be annoying but damaging your property is a crime against you.

ok, last response to this guy, Unfollowing this thread then! Drinking in public is also a crime dummy

ok, last response to this guy, Unfollowing this thread then! Drinking in public is also a crime dummy

Under what legislation?

EDIT: It actually doesn't matter, it isn't a crime against you.

Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    You said they even clean up after themselves.
    That was a sarcasm. They obviously put it on fire.
    And when one broke a window he was arrested.
    Quoting the gardai who arrested the fella:
    "I told you not to go messing around today again" and only reason that guy gotten arrested was because I finger pointed him to the gardai and I had a big bat in my hand. The situtation was that he stole three bins from someone in the estate, put them on a side of my house and try to set them on fire.
    They can only be given to individuals following a number of complaints.
    Complaining about a group of people and then naming one on one occasion is not sufficient to give him an asbo.
    I always complain about the very same group of 5 that leaves in the estate.
    Well yes. There's a big difference between youths having a few drinks in a laneway and youths trashing people's gardens.

It's the latter unfortunately.
    Under what legislation?
    I think every county has a by-law saying that drinking in public is an offense.
    Drinking quietly and drinking while screaming and throwing bottles is different too. The latter is "disturbing the peace".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

MSTQ, do you live in a council/corporation housing estate?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Op get a basic CCTV system installed, you can get them in lidl or aldi or malpin, it may act as a deterrant, if your using you phone over 300 times in a year it may be money well spent and give everyone a bit of peace, if you get evidence on the CCTV then pass it on to community gardai

• Advertisement

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    MSTQ, do you live in a council/corporation housing estate?

I, unfortunately, own the house I live in, but there is heckload of social houses in the area.

@bosco boy - I already have cctv cameras with two cameras on a side one front and one in garden. They worked for a while... about two weeks and then they started doing stuff again. I was eager to provide footage to both city council and gardais on many occassions, but they didn't seem like they wanted it (on one occassion I was contacted back by county council, after something like two weeks >_>).

I've been to both county council and gardais station. Made official complaints.

I have a question - how do you get someone, who lives in a "social" house evicted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭MapForJ

I, unfortunately, own the house I live in, but there is heckload of social houses in the area.

@bosco boy - I already have cctv cameras with two cameras on a side one front and one in garden. They worked for a while... about two weeks and then they started doing stuff again. I was eager to provide footage to both city council and gardais on many occassions, but they didn't seem like they wanted it (on one occassion I was contacted back by county council, after something like two weeks >_>).

I've been to both county council and gardais station. Made official complaints.

I have a question - how do you get someone, who lives in a "social" house evicted?
    if you are not happy with the way your council is dealing with the anti social behaviour complain to the ombudsman. If not happy with garda compliain to garda ombudsman. was it you who said a superintendent did not reply to a letter? if so that is a disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

Pity you can't shoot one and hang him off the fence as a deterrent..............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

As they say there are two sides to every story! Op have you fallen out with any of your neighbours and if so are do any of them have kids who are teenagers. In such cases tolerance levels drop significantly. Get your camera fixed and bring the footage to your local TD if no one will act as you say. Frankly I don't believe you are telling the full story!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

A letter to the local superintendent cc'ing your local TD should help to progress the situation.

If these guys are disturbing the peace the gardai should be acting on a complaint.
    The fact that you've made the complaint and they haven't acted needs to be addressed.

The Superintendent at your local police station carries the ultimate responsibility
    for making sure that the gardai at the station do their job.

Advertisement