Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my two cents on whats going on at the moment...

Options
  • 24-08-2011 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

I need to get this off my chest so please bear with me...

Harry is going to be the england manager at the end of next summer unless he royally screws up this season with us... as a result levy isnt giving him the transfer kitty to spend on 'big money' targets because they will be redknapp signings and the new manager next season will expect to be given a transfer kitty himself. As a result we are seeing the likes of friedal signing and us being liked to the likes of Parker, Cole etc... these type of players are no risk, as they wont cost aot in fee's. We are also seeing the likes of Adebyor linked but onlu on loan... no transfer fee once again. Basically this season is one of transition before a new man is managing us after next summer.
    What should happen imho is that harry should be removed gracefully and thanked but his interests lie elsewhere and as a result the club questions his commitment. Get anchelotti in (who is still living in london) and give him the transfer kitty that will allow him to at least compete for CL qualification. And finally we need a time machine so we can go back to the start of july and give hime the time to get in quality new players and bed them into the team...
    im fearfull its going to be a long season :(

apologies and rant over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

apologies and rant over

Dont apologise, that's what this forum is all about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Anto12

Have to agree with OP - I do like Harry .. But watching us the other night against Utd.. I felt we are really going to struggle in the middle of the park .. Utd are champions and have spent over 50 million in the summer .. players are bed in during the summer.. We will be linked with everyone in the next week .. I think this is going to be a tough season !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I said it (we all said it) weeks ago that there's something wrong in terms of funds. I dont know that its anything to do with HR possibly leaving but we just dont seem to have the hard cash.

Anyone that we've been linked with has been either a freebie, a loan or available for less the 3million.

Supposedly we made bids for Downing, Young and Phil Jones .. I bet we bid no-where near what they went to Uts/Liverpool for in the end.

Thats what drives me mad the most about Levy .. he'll pull every trick in the book to get as much cash for Berbatove/Keane or Modric but he'll ridiculously underbid for anyone that we'd be interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I have to agree, it seems more and more like Harry is just not getting the money he feels he needs because he's not going to be here next season. If this is the case, I also have to agree that he should be let go, amicably, and someone else should be brought in and given the transfer kitty.

Diarra doesn't look like it's going to happen, and at this stage who's to say whether Adebayor will happen (I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it didn't) or not. We're also not linked with anyone else of any note and Brian Ruiz scored another goal in a CL game last night yet we're seemingly not interested.

I don't feel we'll be too bad once Sandro comes back and Modric starts playing again, but I can't see us doing anything of note this season unless new players come in. It's pretty depressing at the moment to be honest.

This could all change pretty quickly of course - sign Adebayor & Diarra (ideally) and beat City on Sunday. This would have us all feeling a lot more positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Real Madrid defensive midfielder Lassana Diarra insists no agreement has been reached over a transfer to Tottenham - and he does not expect that to change

if we dont get a striker and midfielder in then we are goosed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

mickman wrote: »
    Real Madrid defensive midfielder Lassana Diarra insists no agreement has been reached over a transfer to Tottenham - and he does not expect that to change

if we dont get a striker and midfielder in then we are goosed.

Yeah agree with you that we definately need that striker or else in a spot of bother. The midfielder part we could live with, just keep Palacios as back up to Sandro. Also if and a big if Modric stays we will be well covered for midfielders ( sandro, hudd, wilson, modric, jenas). So basically i am saying that Striker is priority at the moment so if Adebayor deal fell through it would be far more disappointing than the Diarra deal not happening.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Yeah agree with you that we definately need that striker or else in a spot of bother. The midfielder part we could live with, just keep Palacios as back up to Sandro. Also if and a big if Modric stays we will be well covered for midfielders ( sandro, hudd, wilson, modric, jenas). So basically i am saying that Striker is priority at the moment so if Adebayor deal fell through it would be far more disappointing than the Diarra deal not happening.

Good point. A Centre back after the centre forward should probably be the priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Harry or no Harry we won;t make anymore progress under Levy he's taken us as far as he can. After 10 years it's time to go and to quote Sugar "let another brian surgeon take over"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

yiddo59 wrote: »
    Harry or no Harry we won;t make anymore progress under Levy he's taken us as far as he can. After 10 years it's time to go and to quote Sugar "let another brian surgeon take over"

In Levy we Trust

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

Gus Poyet was an old man when he joined, and became a semi-legend at the club. he was top scorer from midfield at about 38, in an admittedly poor team. Leeds were romping away from the rest of league one under Dennis Wise- Gus left as assistant manager and they fell asunder.
    He got Brighton up, and they're flying so far in the Championship . Positive, always smiling, tough, likeable -he's our next manager if Levy has any wit.
    We should be talking quietly to him now. I like Harry, but watching the team, I'm not so sre about the coaching at the club. Kevin Bond, Joe Jordan, Clive Allen, Les Ferdinand, Tim Sherwood, they sound like a celebrity five a side, and we sometimes play like one. If Harry is going, GET GUS IN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

If Harry is going, GET GUS IN.
    ridiculous idea. maybe in 5 years when hes actually managed a team in any form of top flight football. Anchelotti

Gus Poyet was an old man when he joined, and became a semi-legend at the club. he was top scorer from midfield at about 38, in an admittedly poor team. Leeds were romping away from the rest of league one under Dennis Wise- Gus left as assistant manager and they fell asunder.
    He got Brighton up, and they're flying so far in the Championship . Positive, always smiling, tough, likeable -he's our next manager if Levy has any wit.
    We should be talking quietly to him now. I like Harry, but watching the team, I'm not so sre about the coaching at the club. Kevin Bond, Joe Jordan, Clive Allen, Les Ferdinand, Tim Sherwood, they sound like a celebrity five a side, and we sometimes play like one. If Harry is going, GET GUS IN.

Our next manager should be Ancellotti

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Ancelloti? Couldnt afford either him or the wages of the players he would like to bring in.

BERBA wrote: »
    In Levy we Trust

Speak for yourself ;)

To paraphrase Dunphy "a good chairman, not a great chairman"

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

You either have it or you haven't. Porto took a chance on a young manager, unproven at top level, a year ago, and look how well that turned out for them. I believe they have form in this regard- 2 novices at top level yielded 2 Europa leagues, a champions league, and 2 fat cheques from chelsea for said managers.
    If gus has the right stuf, levy could bring him in as acoach, or head of scouting, or whatever harry might agree to. I think Harry should stay as long as he wants, but our coaching staff don't convince. Gus was a brilliant no 2 (definitely no pun intended) at Leeds. Get him in as soon as possible, or he'll be at Bl;ackburn or somewhere, and it would cost 10 m

Speak for yourself ;)

To paraphrase Dunphy "a good chairman, not a great chairman"

But what's a great chairman, a fella who runs a club for a sugar daddy ? As much as a lot of us have abused him, I think he has done quite well for Spurs during his time.

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Ancelloti? Couldnt afford either him or the wages of the players he would like to bring in.

Not sure about that, we have paid 1 or 2 managers silly money recently. Ancelloti or Roberto Martinez for me.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Not sure about that, we have paid 1 or 2 managers silly money recently. Ancelloti or Roberto Martinez for me.

Roberto Martinez?:eek:

Better off with Conchitta Martinez me thinks

But what's a great chairman, a fella who runs a club for a sugar daddy ? As much as a lot of us have abused him, I think he has done quite well for Spurs during his time.

Not as well as he's done for ENIC. Fair enough he's brought us on from where we were when he took over but i think this is as good as it'll get under him.

Btw I'd happy replace him with a sugar daddy be they russian, arab or whatever!

Not as well as he's done for ENIC. Fair enough he's brought us on from where we were when he took over but i think this is as good as it'll get under him.

Btw I'd happy replace him with a sugar daddy be they russian, arab or whatever!

Maybe it is, time will tell I suppose, however I do think we missed a great chance last summer when we had CL football on the horizon.

Would you, bit suprised by that..

• Advertisement

Maybe it is, time will tell I suppose, however I do think we missed a great chance last summer when we had CL football on the horizon.

Would you, bit suprised by that..

A huge chance though Levy's last day coup of signing VDV covered it up at the time.

A huge chance though Levy's last day coup of signing VDV covered it up at the time.

Covered it up for some maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 davemac24

id love to see martin jol back, proper mans man and doesnt put up with any bullcrap. I still have that vision of he and arse winger standing toe to toe at highbury, classic moment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

davemac24 wrote: »
    id love to see martin jol back, proper mans man and doesnt put up with any bullcrap. I still have that vision of he and arse winger standing toe to toe at highbury, classic moment!!

would have been a classic moment if nut him, he went down in my estimation when he didnt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

Levy has already fired Gus Poyet from an employment position at Tottenham in case ye haven't forgotten?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

the club looks like its in a mess at the moment. Levy and harry are not getting on id say.

diarra deal looks dead due to wages - milan are in for him now
    parker deal looks dodgy

looking at bellamy and hargreaves - for peats sake. if we sign those players then this season is over before it even begins.

modric has to be kicked out. it really looks like levy wont let him go and the morale will be rubbish until he is gone.

at the moment i am predicting modric to stay, performances to be shocking and harry to be fired by xmas

oh and we will still have all the deadwood in the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

endabob1 wrote: »

Some fair points but then again Harry is only a symptom of what's wrong at Spurs, The root of the problem is Levy.

Some fair points but then again Harry is only a symptom of what's wrong at Spurs, The root of the problem is Levy.

On the level mate, why is Levy the root do ya think ?

• Advertisement

On the level mate, why is Levy the root do ya think ?

Well he is the chairman of the board and the buck stops with him. His judgement has always been suspect and he's got several big decisions wrong.
    eg Lasanagate Caved in and played the game after pressure from the PL and then tried to get a replay once we'd lost
    Handling of Carrick and Berbs departures.
    Handling of Jols sacking.
    His buy at Aldi prices and sell at Harrods policy has seen us landed with the likes of Rasiek and Fraser Campbell on deadline day. He did land VDV at the death last year but like any gambler he will get lucky sometimes.
    In fairness to the guy I think he has brought us on from we were in 2001 when ENIC took over but he'll never take us to the next level.

Advertisement