Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche Price Structures

Options
  • 24-08-2011 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

we are about to send our second child to a creche and we are worried about the costs. we have a 2 year old old and a 9 month old. cost per day was €29 per day for our first child and now that we are sending our second child we have been told we will have to pay another €29, we had thought our second child would be slightly cheaper or even half price like some creches. we also have to pay if we dont send in our children and pay half when the creche is closed for holidays. for a 52 week year this amounts to nearly €15,000 which we simply cant afford

what are the price structures in other creche's around the Cavan/Leitrim area?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Is it a community creche?
    29 euro a day sounds really cheap so it maybe that they need to charge full price for the 2nd to meet costs.

The one my daughter goes to gives 15% off the 2nd child so 2k a month for 2 kids full time and 1480 for a 3 day week.
    I dunno how people afford 2 kids in a creche.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Is it a community creche?
    29 euro a day sounds really cheap so it maybe that they need to charge full price for the 2nd to meet costs.

The one my daughter goes to gives 15% off the 2nd child so 2k a month for 2 kids full time and 1480 for a 3 day week.
    I dunno how people afford 2 kids in a creche.

I have heard that creches in Cavan are usually half the price of those in Dublin.

€29 per child per day seems reasonable but even 10% off the second child should be an option for families.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The creche no matter where it is still has to make enough money to cover costs and insurance.
    I was one of the founders of a community creche (not for profit charity)so I am pretty familiar with the accounts and the costs of running a creche and I honestly don't know how they do it for 29 euro per child a day with out subvention on top of that.

The cost of the creche my daughter was in was crazy,a brilliant creche though but it was also the going rate for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Our creche fees are much higher than that (almost double!!), and you get a 10% discount for a second child. Perhaps as others have said, it's because the creche fees are lower that there is no discount for other children?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

I am in the Leitrim area and we pay €32 per day to the creche for our 19 month old (works out at €640 per month), this includes all meals. Like you we are also facing a second fee for our next child - there will be a discount of some sort but I haven't looked into this yet as the baby hasn't been born yet. Either way, the vast majority of my wages will be going for creche fees for the next few years, there will be very little left over :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

wow, thank god we are not in Dublin! we are considering getting a child minder to come to our house, apparently they can still remain on job seekers allowances and work for a few days a week, not exactly sure of this. can anyone else expand on this situation and what would you expect to pay a child minder in your own home, again in the leitrim/cavan area

Legally you should pay a childminder in your own home at least minimum wage and their prsi.
    You are their employer.

If the children go to a childminders house min wage does not apply and they can earn 15k tax free.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭shelly6

If someone is on Jobseekers and they only work 3 days they can claim for the other days.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭shelly6

When you say "per day" does that mean that if your child isn't in creche for a day you don't have to pay?

You pay if the child is expected there.
    If they are only in 2 days a week you pay 2x the daily rate.

The creche my kids were in offered 10% off the 2nd child so 1500 pm for a 3 day week:( 2k for a full week.

I wish we got tax relief on it or something!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

My creche cost only 688 per month full time :D meath

Advertisement