Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best 'reward' credit card available

Options
  • 24-08-2011 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I have a standard BOI mastercard for the last ten years - I use it quite regularly but have never recieved any awards for doing so.

From what I've found out so far:
    • The Ryanair, Pigsback etc cards from MBNA would do the trick, but I guess they arent the best company to go with for a while given the recent news.
    • Brown Thomas offer a mastercard but points are only awarded on BT or BT2 purchases which isnt of much benefit to me.
    • From searching online I think Aer Lingus used to offer a mastercard but I cant find out much about it so I think its discontinued.
    • Tesco ccard - I'm not sure whether or not this is the same as BThomas in that only Tesco purchases count?
    • An old site here that offers very little info.
    • Sony also had a card where you could earn points and redeem them on Sony items but that has been discontinued recently it seems.

Do you have any suggestions as to any other 'rewards' (cashback or otherwise) type credit cards currently avaialble in Ireland that I'm not aware of?

Apologies if this has been covered before - if so could you please link me to it as I've gone through pages of threads and cant find any info.

Otherwise, any sites or information appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Check out the cashback rewards with this card:
    http://www.aib.ie/personal/credit-cards/Platinum-Credit-Card

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Tesco offers double points on Tesco purchases, but your earn standard clubcard points everywhere else.

To be honest, the AIB card is pretty pointless for what you get considering the amount you have to spend on it to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Lex

Cheers both.

Yea, to be honest though both are giving little back. Tesco is better working out at 0.99% back in vouchers, (as opposed to 0.5% cash back from AIB) - assuming I'm working it out correctly - earn 1 point per €1 spend, and a €1.50 voucher awarded for every 150 points redeemed.

Presumably this is the type of range they operate all around? 0.5 -1% back.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm so jealous of my colleagues in the US who get great loyalty awards via their AMEX, whereas us here get barely anything.

I do have the Tesco credit card and it's pretty good. I tend to put large value purchases through on it, to benefit from the points. Last year, I put a €3k holiday purchase on it, and later received €30 of Tesco vouchers. Every little helps!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Ulsterbank give vouchers for points too. Loads of stuff you can spend it on but I think the gist of it is the return is about .05%

https://www.yourpoints.ulsterbank.ie/

I don't know about the AIB Platinum card but I got rid of my AIB standard card when they sent me a letter saying that they were changing the way they charged interest. If the balance wasn't paid off in full every month they'd charge interest.
    Tesco / UlsterBank don't charge you at the end of the month IF you started off the month in credit. They give you until the end of the second month before they charge interest. So as long as you pay your balance in full with them every two months you pay no interest. With AIB if you pay your balance in full every two months you're paying interest.

With all the cards the points make shag all difference if you're paying interest. Get the one with the cheapest interest rate then :D
    dudara wrote: »
    I'm so jealous of my colleagues in the US who get great loyalty awards via their AMEX, whereas us here get barely anything.
    I'm not so sure. I lived in Australia and was going to get an Amex. The fees were quiet high so when I compared it with the other cards down there there were better offers elsewhere. It might be different in the US though.

I've a Tesco CC too. Last week Dunnes had an offer of 20% back in points in my local shop. So I did a big shop there, used my Dunnes points card and paid with the Tesco CC :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

We have the aib platinum card and it's great. We get between 10 and 50 euro back per month (depending on purchases) but one thing to note is that the cash back doesn't kick in until you've spent over 5000. And the figure resets every 12 months. So each year we have to spend 5000 and then start collecting our benefits. I still think it's great as the card cash back more then pays for the government tax and we never pay interest. We usually try to put all purchases on it except Lidl for obvious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

my UB cc gives me a 50 euro dunnes stores voucher once ive spent 10k on the card. its a points system with gifts rewarded from 2,000 points spent on the card. 1 point = 1 euro spent. Some of the gifts are paltry, but the more you spend the bigger the gift you can claim. Its more of an incentive to get customers to spend on their CC's, but its better than nothing! Its called Ulster Bank "Your Points".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Have a BOI card and get nothing, which is typical of them. I hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

Gotta be Tesco Card for me. Just got €45 worth of vouchers for the last 3 months spending. With clubcard deals got a €180 Advance Pitstop voucher.

Advertisement