Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running log

Options
  • 24-08-2011 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Thanks for the forum its badly needed.
    I quit smoking in April after 20 odd years of on/off smoking.
    I'm now 95Kg and in poor shape but I'd love to be able to run a half marathon.
    Started tonight with 1km jogging and 0.5km walking. Fifteen odd km to go and I'm laughing. I borrowed a nike+ yoke to help with records.
    Back soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Red Neck Hughie

1.2km jogging and 400m walk in under 12min then some light upper body work just because I could. Even pushed to a sprint for the last 100m. Feel a million times better than the first night. :):)

1.2k and some walking, (400 run then walk and repeat) tried to focus on keeping moving for 20 minutes rather than counting distance. i wasn't too impressed with my 11 y/o daughter, she did 2.4k and wouldn't even pretend to be hurting. She can get her own bloody supper for that.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Welcome to the logs Red Neck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

Hi Redneck,
    Good luck with your log, have you looked up C25K (Couch to 5k) program.

Its a great way to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Best of luck with the log Redneck. you are doing great so far. keep it up

• Advertisement

Thanks folks, its much appreciated. I only did 1k this evening. I'm going to have to get fitted properly for shoes as shinsplints are becoming a problem. My ankles are a little tender too. I'm actually 98kg, ideally I'd be around 80kg. I might drop one run in place of a cycle for a few evenings.
    Ilovered yes I've seen the c25k plan, its a big part of what motivated me to start, or at least convinced me it was worth starting. I thought I could skip a few weeks but thats not looking very clever now.

Back to the start, day 1 of c25k, feel a lot better and put a lot more in than I had been doing on my own. It was windy and raining but that was a good thing actually. Thumbs up for the plan.

Back to the start, day 1 of c25k, feel a lot better and put a lot more in than I had been doing on my own. It was windy and raining but that was a good thing actually. Thumbs up for the plan.

Week 1 done, the plan is making a lot of sense now. Shins and ankles feel a lot better and by taking the recovery time I can put a lot more in each evening. Weight 96kg, :) I'm trying hard to eat sensibly, could be just a dodgy scales though.

I repeated W3 because I had missed a day. Just started week 4 and it is tough. I'm cycling 8 miles a day too though to avoid joint problems. Not a sign of losing more weight but hopefully the increase in activity will sort that.
    Otherwise - even with doing much more than at the start my recovery when running and cycling is much quicker and i tend not to be sore next day. Mrs Red Neck is running with me too :)
    i have my doubts about the rate at which the plan progresses, maybe it seems too much because i'm carrying about 2 stone extra, but as a tool to get someone out for the first time there is nothing better. Basically I am confident I'll eventually hit 5k and more but I'm not too bothered if it takes a few months longer, I'll do week 3 for a year if I have to.

Advertisement