Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing master Thesis

Options
  • 24-08-2011 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi

I'm just wondering if a lot of people fail their masters theses? What are the criteria for failing? i know its below 50% but how bad would it have be to get a fail? I'm very worried... I've worked very hard it's just that the results aren't working out at all

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

BMSF wrote: »
    Hi

I'm just wondering if a lot of people fail their masters theses? What are the criteria for failing? i know its below 50% but how bad would it have be to get a fail? I'm very worried... I've worked very hard it's just that the results aren't working out at all

Thanks

When you say "the results aren't working out at all" do you mean you are doing a science masters (MSc) and that your lab results aren't working out? If so, you definitely have nothing at all to worry about.

In an MSc, results do not matter whatsoever (in my opinion and according to general consensus/opinion of my lecturers) - the important thing is what you have done and what conclusions you can draw from this. That is, if your results are crap, explain why, and what you/future researcher could do differently next time.

I'm not sure of the fail statistics, but I have one piece of advice for you:

Regardless of what type of Masters you are doing, no matter how well or badly you think you did, do not worry about it at all until you get the actual result.

I've recently finished my MSc and I thought the day would never come. Hang in there and just hope for the best. You'll be grand. Best of luck with your results.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I also think your supervisor should be giving you an indication.

Pass/Failure at this level should never be a surprise.

Ask your supervisor, they would be the best person to tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 BMSF

Hi

Yeah I'm doing an MSc and my statistics aren't working out. My supervisor is not marking it but would he be able to tell me if I was going to fail. I have my final draft into him next week.

So far my lit review and methodology has got positive results from him (except say a few changes here and there) its just the results section. Ive worked so hard all year, and am bordering on distinction. I just would hate to see it all wasted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

He would be able to spot a failure if he's a supervisor yes. Unless he is a really really bad supervisor. That's the point of the final draft :)

Advertisement