Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If I cant afford to pay a fine

• 25-08-2011 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was stopped at a check point today. The guard told me that I would get a court summons for not having a full licensed driver with me.

As far as I know this is a Guaranteed €1000 fine. I am about to start first year in University and there is no way that I could pay for this. What will happen if I cant.

Also for my future career I will need to be Garda vetted. Will this affect that?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Read your local paper's court report, nobody pays the maximum fine.
    Well there are no guarantees and my post may get quoted here but it's unheard of to get the €1000 fine.

No, this will have no issue on a garda vetting check
    It's not like assault or something serious

As offenses go it's one of the most minor around

You need to relax OP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

A traffic offence won't destroy your future career.

You certainly won't be fined a thousand quid. And if you're lucky you might just have to contribute to the poor box and get the probation act with no conviction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Court for that seems harsh. Can it not be covered by an on the spot fine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Court for that seems harsh. Can it not be covered by an on the spot fine?

I honestly don't think myself that its too harsh. I know that I shouldn't have been driving and I was. It is my own fault and as I dont have a full licence there is nothing to say that I actually can drive.
    J K wrote: »
    A traffic offence won't destroy your future career.

You certainly won't be fined a thousand quid. And if you're lucky you might just have to contribute to the poor box and get the probation act with no conviction.

Whats the probation act?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Sorry I misread it and thought you didn't have your driving license with you.

Theres always a chance you won't get a summons and he's trying to give you a fright. I was told I'd get one before and it never arrived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Sorry I misread it and thought you didn't have your driving license with you.

Theres always a chance you won't get a summons and he's trying to give you a fright. I was told I'd get one before and it never arrived.

No problem, thanks anyway.

Heres hopeing I wont get it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭Scealta_saol

you'll very rarely get the maximum fine. depends on the area but I know that when pleading guilty and for showing up on the court date, the judge will go easier on you... I'm not saying plead guilty for the sake of it but you genuinely sound like you realise you were at fault and so the judge may just give you a fine. I can't say how much he'll convict though..

and if you feel he convicted too much, go back to the court office within 14 days of being convicted and enter an application to appeal the conviction where you can appeal the amount and ask for leniency explaining why you need it to be lessened. you can explain this to the District Court judge too and hopefully that'll help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sell car.

Pay fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Serve a few hours in jail. Fine gone.

Advertisement