Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

recommend a training watch. 150 Budget.

• 25-08-2011 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Im looking to get a training watch which can be used for the purpose of the three disciplines of triathlon. Im absolutely baffled by the amount of features on them though and need abit of guidance.

So ill like it to include HR monitor (wireless) , be waterproof, be able to tell me how many min per mile and km Im running alternatively. I usually work in miles for long distance running like marathon training and work in km for speed training like sprint and so on triathlons. Just a preference I have. Also GPS as it seems to be handy for having tracked the distance travelled, and Id perfer if it was slim as ive seen some really bulky ones which I wouldn't wear.

There is also other features like countdown timers and split timers which i dont fully understand, would be great if someone could take a min to explain.

One more question I have is how do the wireless HR monitors on these watches measure ur HR if there is no chest strap.... is it taking a pulse from ur wrist? (silly question maybe)

I know Garmin seem to be very popular with the runners but I think they can act up frequently as well?? .. so ive heard. Ive nothing against buying a garmin if it has what I need but Id like to hear some opinions on peoples experience.

Cheers
    Sub

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

305 - about 100 euro from Amazon, suitable for running and cycling but not fully waterproof. Detailed review (by a triathlete) here. He also reviews other watches, but I think they're outside your price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

RayCun wrote: »
    305 - about 100 euro from Amazon, suitable for running and swimming but not fully waterproof. Detailed review (by a triathlete) here. He also reviews other watches, but I think they're outside your price range.

What he said. You won't get better for that budget. Great piece of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

it sounds exactly like the Garmin 305 is what you are looking for. On the bulkiness, it does look bulky, but it's so light you don't really notice it. Also, it has the advantage of being able to show you a lot more information at a glance than smaller watches

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its a great watch, again yes it does look bulky when compared to say a watch but certainly doesn't feel bulky when its on. Very happy with mine which I got in January

There are no maps loaded onto the watch itself. When you upload your runs to Garmin Training Centre (or whatever) they will appear on Irish maps, there's no charge.
    for example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Thanks for the replies. I read a few of the reviews from the suggested website and it was fairly detailed, ill admit I didnt understand everything about the software end of things opun the first read but id say that is a matter of getting used to it and fiddling around abit.

I think I would be lean more towards the 405 though, being that the only difference between them is the 305 can store routes, and change multisport with one button. The 405 has its pro's too like automatic sync and wireless enabled and also has the features of a normal watch like time of day, date, and alarm which the 305 does not. Price difference between the two models on amazon is only 60 dollars or 40 euro (new)

Also I see both models are compatible with cadence sensor for the bike but do this mean it will also act as a speedo as well??
    Kmh, mph when on the bike??

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭gottarun

The 305 will track your cycles too. It displays your speed and km splits depending on your setup.

Its not waterproof though and is not recommended for swimming unless you protect it under a swim hat. Also with the wireless transmitter you will not get HR readings when swimming.

I have one and use it for every other discipline, I also believe the 305 is one of the few Garmins that don't have teething problems.

subscriber wrote: »
    I think I would be lean more towards the 405 though, being that the only difference between them is the 305 can store routes, and change multisport with one button. The 405 has its pro's too like automatic sync and wireless enabled and also has the features of a normal watch like time of day, date, and alarm which the 305 does not.

Admit it, you just think the 305 looks too chunky :p
    The 305 has time of day too, don't know about date and alarm - but they're irrelevant anyway because neither has the battery life to be worn as a normal watch.
    The 405 looks better, but the 305 has an extra data field on the display, and the buttons on the 305 are much easier to use than the 405's bezel.

Admit it, you just think the 305 looks too chunky :p
    The 305 has time of day too, don't know about date and alarm - but they're irrelevant anyway because neither has the battery life to be worn as a normal watch.
    The 405 looks better, but the 305 has an extra data field on the display, and the buttons on the 305 are much easier to use than the 405's bezel.

Fair enough ray, ha ha , ya have me caught me out there, It looks like a massive piece of kit TBH, maby ill have a look at one in the shops to see how it feels on.. not too keen though. ummmm... Dunno , we'll have to see.
    gottarun wrote: »
    The 305 will track your cycles too. It displays your speed and km splits depending on your setup.

depending on your setup?? Explain this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

but they're irrelevant anyway because neither has the battery life to be worn as a normal watch.

I wear the 405 as a watch the majority of the time.

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

so how do you find the 405 for training? Do you use it for triathlon and if so, is it handy enough to change between sports , eg brick sessions, bike to run? ect..

Any teething problems with the 405 as earlier suggested in the thread?

so how do you find the 405 for training? Do you use it for triathlon and if so, is it handy enough to change between sports , eg brick sessions, bike to run? ect..

Any teething problems with the 405 as earlier suggested in the thread?

Use mainly for running, easy to set up straight out of the box and away you go. Not sure for tri, I'm sure you can set it up or at least hit the lap and bounce the screen onto relevant data fields for the bike or run, I wouldn't take it into the water, I know some have had issues with water getting into the unit.
    Here's the manual for a read.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Really? Oh, sorry then, I thought it didn't have the battery capacity. I suppose if you turn off GPS etc the rest is not such a drain.

Fair enough ray, ha ha , ya have me caught me out there, It looks like a massive piece of kit TBH, maby ill have a look at one in the shops to see how it feels on.. not too keen though. ummmm... Dunno , we'll have to see.

It does, and when you first put it on you'll think it's massive. But after a few minutes running you get used to it.

The 305 manual is here. The watch displays a set of 3 or 4 data fields, and there are buttons on the side of the watch so as you run you can switch between three different sets of fields. On p54 of the manual you'll see a list of about 20 different data fields that you can show on each page. For example, I usually display elapsed time/distance/average pace on the first page, and lap time/lap pace/lap/distance on the second page.

You can also choose whether all this data is displayed in metric or imperial units.

Really? Oh, sorry then, I thought it didn't have the battery capacity. I suppose if you turn off GPS etc the rest is not such a drain.

I leave the gps on unless I'm travelling, get 3-4 days including 3-4hrs worth of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭gottarun

depending on your setup?? Explain this?

You can set up the display fields in the watch included in this is the option to display your speed and you can set up splits a km intervals from 1k to 10k.

was passin the great outdoors today and went in for a gander at the forerunners, even the staff in there told me to stay well clear of the 405 and 410. They said bezel is an absolute nightmare to use and was gettin awful feedback from customers.

she said garmin themselves would admit it. (dunno bout that) But its obviously not meeting the expectations of people.

so, I think bite the bullet and number 305 it is.. Everyone is telling me its ideal for what I need to train multi-discipline, even the sales rep, and its cheaper, so thats saying something. shame about the size of it, but I guess I will get used to that. Having it on my wrist in the shop today, it did look massive, but to give it credit, it wasn't at all heavy or weighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

I just got the 305 last week and am chuffed with it. Thought it was HUGE when I took it out of the box, but it's not really, have seen bigger wrist watches.

With regard to the water resistant certification, how water resistant is it really, as in regard to wearing it in heavy rain, etc??

Mr abbey wrote: »
    I just got the 305 last week and am chuffed with it. Thought it was HUGE when I took it out of the box, but it's not really, have seen bigger wrist watches.

With regard to the water resistant certification, how water resistant is it really, as in regard to wearing it in heavy rain, etc??

Well from reading reviews and from talking to people I hear its fool proof in the rain but not to be submerged under water, it doesen't like that very much, oh no! It should say the specifications for that in the manual, something like it can last 30 mins submerged under 1 foot of water I think. I think the problem occurs when its repeatedly hit against the water during the entry phase of your arm stroke, some put it in a zip lock bag inside there swim hat.

You should read dc rainmaker review on it, suggested to me by raycun, I found it an excellent read, lots of detail. Covers everything.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2007/11/review-of-garmin-forerunner-305.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Maura Conneally

Hi - I am simply looking for a ladies watch which records the distance that i run - don't need anyother functions other than time of course. Can someone please recommend one? GPS sounds a little technical for my needs....

• Advertisement

Hi - I am simply looking for a ladies watch which records the distance that i run - don't need anyother functions other than time of course. Can someone please recommend one? GPS sounds a little technical for my needs....

A GPS watch gives you the most accurate record of the distance you've run.
    You could try using a pedometer, like the Nike+ ones. Cheaper, but much less accurate.

Thanks for that Ray - Guess i will have to sos the Nike one out so..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The Forerunner 110 might meet your needs then. The GPS functionality is easy to use and our comes in a slim figure-hugging profile. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

was passin the great outdoors today and went in for a gander at the forerunners, even the staff in there told me to stay well clear of the 405 and 410. They said bezel is an absolute nightmare to use and was gettin awful feedback from customers.

she said garmin themselves would admit it. (dunno bout that) But its obviously not meeting the expectations of people.

so, I think bite the bullet and number 305 it is.. Everyone is telling me its ideal for what I need to train multi-discipline, even the sales rep, and its cheaper, so thats saying something. shame about the size of it, but I guess I will get used to that. Having it on my wrist in the shop today, it did look massive, but to give it credit, it wasn't at all heavy or weighty.
    I have run 8,000 miles with mine. Sure the bezel is an annoying design flaw, but you can still work around it. The 305 is definitely a better but if you don't mind the chunkyness!

Thanks will check same --- do you know anything about this one

Check this one out :Timex GPS 30 Speed And Distance Sensor
    Timex GPS 30 Speed And Distance Sensor
    Empower your Timex Heart Rate Monitor with Timex 3D GPS Sensor for maximum feedback on exact speed, pace distance and change in altitude!

Thanks will check same --- do you know anything about this one

Check this one out :Timex GPS 30 Speed And Distance Sensor
    Timex GPS 30 Speed And Distance Sensor
    Empower your Timex Heart Rate Monitor with Timex 3D GPS Sensor for maximum feedback on exact speed, pace distance and change in altitude!

That looks like an add-on for the Timex heart rate monitor, not something you can use on its own.

Ok, will have to check it further - as spec includes distance etc... thanks

Advertisement