Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit dog on way to work, will he be ok???

• 25-08-2011 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

So like the title says I hit a dog on the way to work today :( This was out in the middle of the country... he just shot out from one side of the road and ran straight across in front of me - I wasn't going fast but still couldn't stop in time to avoid him - I swerved off the road to the left but he kept going in that direction too so I still hit him :( However, he just jumped right up and ran off down the road - does this mean he might be ok??? I don't see how though because he actually went under the car....

Anyway I looked around to see if I could find his owner (then spent a few minutes trying to get my car out of the ditch) and then took off - I found the dog sitting on the side of the road a bit further down but when I stopped he ran off again... Then I saw some men coming up the road so I asked them if it was their dog - they said yes, they were out hunting (by the way it was a big hunting-type dog). I told them what happened and they were all "ah don't worry girl, he'll be grand, don't worry at all, off ya go now" and they seemed more worried about the car (which is completely fine by the way, apart from being covered in bits of ditch).

They didn't seem worried at all but I still am!!! What do people think - i don't know anything about dogs - if he ran off (twice) does that mean he's ok? What if he has internal injuries or something???? I'm riddled with guilt here :(:(:(:(:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Don't worry at least you stopped and told the owner what more could do. I'm sure owner will keep an eye on him over the next few days. I'm sure the dog will be fine. It wasn't your fault and it could of ended up a lot worse, you could of wrecked you car or hurt yourself swerving off the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

you did the right thing anyway. As far as the Title goes "Hit dog on way to work, will he be ok??" replace dog with person or child and you have a good idea of damage that could be done, a dog is in no way more resilient to being hit by a car and it really depends on where you hit him and how fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

OP I have to say fair play to you because if I hit a dog I would not be in any fit state to continue driving.

I know you're worried about the dog but what happened was 100% the fault of the owners. Absolutely 100%. It sounds like the dog will be fine, but if not don't feel any blame what so ever. Just be thankful that you managed to control the situation as well as you did. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

beegirl wrote: »
    they seemed more worried about the car
    If a car is damaged by hitting a dog, the owner of the dog is by law responsible for any damage caused to the car, and I'd say this is why they were concerned about the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭beegirl

the_syco wrote: »
    If a car is damaged by hitting a dog, the owner of the dog is by law responsible for any damage caused to the car, and I'd say this is why they were concerned about the car.

Yeah I was thinking that too, it hadn't even occurred to me at that point to check was the car ok I was just so freaked out about the poor dog...
    you did the right thing anyway. As far as the Title goes "Hit dog on way to work, will he be ok??" replace dog with person or child and you have a good idea of damage that could be done, a dog is in no way more resilient to being hit by a car and it really depends on where you hit him and how fast.

:( Although, if a person jumped up after being hit and sprinted off down the road I suppose I wouldn't be too worried about them?!?
    Whispered wrote: »
    OP I have to say fair play to you because if I hit a dog I would not be in any fit state to continue driving.

Yeah my legs were shaking on the pedals the whole rest of the way to work! Probably not the safest...

Thanks everyone I feel a little bit better although not much... I suppose like demakinz said at least the owner knows and can hopefully keep an eye on the dog and get him fixed up if he does need it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Jeepers I'd be in a heap too!

You did what you could, you tried to find the dog and the owners. You did locate both and you told them what happened, so after that you can't do any more if they sent you on your way. I hope they'll check the dog over to make sure it's ok.

star-pants wrote: »
    I hope they'll check the dog over to make sure it's ok.
    From what I've seen in the hunting forum here, hunters take very good care of their dogs so I'd say they will.

From what I've seen in the hunting forum here, hunters take very good care of their dogs so I'd say they will.

I wasn't saying hunters wouldn't take care of their dogs.
    I was just saying in this specific case (hunter or not) they did seem a little quick to brush it off saying the dog would be grand that was all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

alot of the time dogs get up after being hit and run off home before dieing. Not saying thats the case but it does happen. My uncle hit a german shepard a while back and wrote off the front of his mondeo, the dog ran off like nothing had happened but died later

I was just saying in this specific case (hunter or not) they did seem a little quick to brush it off saying the dog would be grand that was all.
    Sorry, what I meant was that most hunters take real good care of their dogs, having spent a lot of time with them, and would notice anything wrong with them from the way they'd walk, or chase prey, etc. It'd be akin to someone walking their dog alot: they notice if the dog appeared hurt fairly quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Hopefully they'l keep an eye on him and bring him to a vet. They were probably more worried about damage to the car and moving you on before you asked for their name and contact details because the owner would be liable for damages to the car. Hopefully they'l keep him under better control when walking along a road in the future. :mad: Not fair on you or the dog to go through that.

Yeah I'm sure they will take care of him... it did seem a bit strange to me at first that they didn't seem too worried about the dog, but thinking back I suppose it was either that they might have been worried I was going to say something about my car, or the fact that I was about to burst into tears and they were just trying to be nice...

alot of the time dogs get up after being hit and run off home before dieing. Not saying thats the case but it does happen. My uncle hit a german shepard a while back and wrote off the front of his mondeo, the dog ran off like nothing had happened but died later

Oh no... that's exactly what I was worried about :( Hope that's not the case... I have no way of finding out now though either way :(

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Hopefully they'l keep him under better control when walking along a road in the future. mad.gif Not fair on you or the dog to go through that.

I know, not likely though if they were out hunting, I guess they can't exactly have the dogs on a leash for that kind of thing! Does it seem odd to anyone else, out hunting on a Thursday morning?? The joys of living in the country... there are always dogs just roaming around the roads out here! Always been able to avoid them before though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

there's no time table for hunting it can be done any time of the day or night! some animals are more active early in the mrning such as crows, magpies and pigeons out to feed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

beegirl I thinks it's fair to say you went above and beyond here. You've done all you can for now. I'm sure the dog will be fine, if this is out the country and you use this route daily for work, I'm sure you'll happen across them again (hopefully they'll have the poor dog under control though) and it'll put your mind at rest.

Fair play for stopping and checking on the dog, hopefully I'll never be in that situation but if it were to happen, I'd really appreciate if someone went to that effort:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If I was the OP the owner might not be in a fit state to continue shooting :mad:. At very least I would be reporting him & taking a private damages claim. The idea that someone would respond to their dog being hit by a car, by saying "don't worry he'll be grand" is dreadful.

Discodog wrote: »
    If I was the OP the owner might not be in a fit state to continue shooting :mad:. At very least I would be reporting him & taking a private damages claim. The idea that someone would respond to their dog being hit by a car, by saying "don't worry he'll be grand" is dreadful.

It may be the "girly" reaction but I too would have done as the OP did. If the dog was ok I'd be counting my lucky stars and leaving them to it. I think legalities would be the very last thing on my mind and I'd be grateful I had (through no fault of my own) not taken the life of a dog.

I suppose it would be better for the dog if I did put in a private damages claim, but I think I'd put it down to a lesson learnt by the owners and hope they'll keep better control in future.

I suppose another way of looking at it, a few weeks ago someone went into the back of me, in their lovely new car. Because of my tow bar, there was very little damage on my car, his was crumpled :(. I suggested we just put it down to bad luck and continue on our way. Some people I mention it to told me that I was mad and should have claimed. But as above I was thankful nobody was hurt and that my car had sustained no serious damage.

In saying that I agree with their reaction being ridiculous. ANY owner who allows their dog out of sight on or near a road is not being responsible. Hunter or not, a dog should be under very strict supervision when anywhere near a road. The OP had time to check around for the dog, spend time getting her car out of the ditch then drive up the road before meeting the owners. I'm sorry but they don't sound like they were taking enough care at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Eever

Oh no... that's exactly what I was worried about :( Hope that's not the case... I have no way of finding out now though either way :(

Ah don't be getting yourself in knots worrying about that. It's just one story and to write off the front of the car it would have been a huge knock. But the dog running off isn't any indicator that things will end the way it did in the story above.

My dog got out once while I was at work. My boyfriend at the time rang me and then went out looking for him, so while legging it home I got a phone call from a neighbour saying the dog had been hit by a car.

I was in an absolute state getting home to him. I pulled up outside my neighbours and there he was happy as larry wagging his tail to greet me. The woman who hit him said he got up and ran off, she followed him and found him on our front doorstep but as the boyfriend was out looking for him there was noone home so she left him with a neighbour she was friends with because she had to go but like yourself she was worried and didn't want to leave him without letting someone know what had happened.

So despite the happy little head on him I brought him to the vet and they said he's grand, he was in a bit of shock, and they gave him painkillers as he'd probably feel a bit sore/bruised in the following days but absolutely fine besides that.

You did exactly the right thing, you alerted the owners so they know what's happened and they'll be able to keep an eye on the dog. They'll know if he behaves strangely or seems huty and they'll look after him. He'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

[QUOTE=
    "ah don't worry girl, he'll be grand, don't worry at all, off ya go now" QUOTE]

another responsible dog owner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

My experience of hunters is that their dog is a tool that is used in their hobby..if the tool doesn't work anymore, they get rid of it.

Just to interject lightly - I'd appreciate this discussion not to fall into a 'do hunters take care of their dogs or not'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

start-plants we're only having a discussion here ... chill out. freedom of speech have you ever heard of that ??

falabo wrote: »
    start-plants we're only having a discussion here ... chill out. freedom of speech have you ever heard of that ??

I'll give you a warning. I don't appreciate your tone. As a moderator I have seen many threads start off with 'discussion' and very quickly descend into ridiculousness. There's also a rule in the charter - if you'd like to check it out - about off-topic posting. There's also a bit about 'free speech' in there too. It's hardly like I came in waving a ban hammer yelling at everyone. I politely asked that we keep to the topic at hand so another thread doesn't have to be locked.
    If you have any further issue, please take it up via PM and not here so as not to drag this thread any further off topic.

Discodog wrote: »
    At very least I would be reporting him & taking a private damages claim.
    It may be the "girly" reaction but I too would have done as the OP did. If the dog was ok I'd be counting my lucky stars and leaving them to it. I think legalities would be the very last thing on my mind and I'd be grateful I had (through no fault of my own) not taken the life of a dog.

Yes I agree with this, making a claim would be the last thing I want to do - for what anyway, there was no damage to my car (or me)! I can see how reporting them might do some good though, for the dogs at least, if it keeps them off the roads... still don't think I will be doing that though, I don't even have a name for starters...

P.S. Lol at the "girly" reaction bit, is it really??? Surely anyone would be glad they didn't kill a dog?

P.S. Lol at the "girly" reaction bit, is it really??? Surely anyone would be glad they didn't kill a dog?

:D Maybe I should have said the more emotional reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

:D Maybe I should have said the more emotional reaction.

There's nothing wrong with "Girly" so long as you include me :D

I might get seriously angry with the owner but my heart would go out to the dog. It's a bit like the "Doggie Love" thread in that it is our love & compassion for the dog that makes us angry with the owners.

Advertisement