Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make Drogheda Toll Free

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Please add your signature to the petition at www.makedroghedatollfree.com to call for the removal of the toll on the ramps leading to the Donore Road.

And where would you suggest they put the tolls then? Or, is the toll - in your wise opinion, not necessary?

How is this toll a strangehold on Drogheda? Is it impossible to access the town without using the motorway?

I'd also love to hear about the negative effects the toll is having on Drogheda? The two thriving retail parks, north and south? The huge motor-dealer complex on the Donore road? The designer shopping centre Scotch Hall? These were all developed after the motorway and tolls came.

West street? That's been in decline a long time, before the motorway - and the drogheda borough council put the nail in that coffin when they destroyed the street. And, even still, it's nowhere near as bad as Dundalk's clanbrassil street....

The motorway isn't there for Drogheda residents to get their kids to school or get from one part of Drogheda to another - it was never promised for that and never intended for such a use - there are plenty of backroads to get around the town. It wasn't built as a slip road for you to get to aunty mary's house, and if you wish to use it in that way - pay the €1.80, and don't forget your 'going through' pass.

So, for the life of me - I can't see what damage the motorway and toll plaza's are doing to Drogheda - enlighten me? I can't see Homebase, blackstone motors, TK Maxx, Tesco, etc. etc. complaining about it either, for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Mr_Hat

Can't wait to see your reply DD.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭digitaldarragh

The placement of a Toll on the M1 isn't in dispute. It is specifically the Toll on the exit to the south of Drogheda that has been objected to by over 250 people in just three days at last check.
    Do you travel between Dublin and Drogheda regularly? Are you seriously saying that you don't object to paying to enter and exit your town? If not then I congratulate you. You obviously have more money than most residents. If you travel up and down to Dublin for work every day, you pay on average an extra €18 to avail of the toll.
    Tell me. What other commuter town in the country has a toll on one of its most efficient entrances.

I don't see your logic. You can’t seriously make the rational point that the retail park on the south of the town doesn't suffer as a result of having a toll on the main road leading to it on the motorway?
    Let me draw your attention to an article where an employer says clearly that he could actually employ more people if the price of using the toll was reduced. This was published in April by the Drogheda independent.
    http://www.drogheda-independent.ie/news/toll-on-drogheda-costs-one-businessman-dear-2618263.html

You give the impression of someone who is just disputing something for the sake of being disagreeable.

The placement of a Toll on the M1 isn't in dispute. It is specifically the Toll on the exit to the south of Drogheda that has been objected to by over 250 people in just three days at last check.

50000 PEOPLE have joined a facebook page endorsing a inanimate carbon rod for the Irish Prescidency. You online petion mean nothing.
    Do you travel between Dublin and Drogheda regularly? Are you seriously saying that you don't object to paying to enter and exit your town?
    [\quote]
    Yes I travel it daily, and I'm not paying to enter the town. I'm paying to use that strech of motorway. If I dont want to use it. I can always take the Julianstown exit. So can anyone else who dosent want to pay it

Tell me. What other commuter town in the country has a toll on one of its most efficient entrances.

Portlaois, Kinnegad and Fermoy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I cant understand why those toll booths were located just off the donore rd. If someone is going to enter drogheda by the north they exit at J10 and clog up Mell and Trinity St, and if approaching by the south they have to pay the toll at the plaza after J7 anyways.

Meanwhile the people who LIVE WORK AND SHOP in the town have one of the main entrances blocked off by a 1.80 charge each way! So if I, living on the northside of Drogheda, within sight of the motorway, want to get to the southside I have to travel through at least 5 traffic lights on Georges St. instead of hopping on the motorway and getting there in half the time, causing less congestion and less hassle for everyone.

Petition signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

Totally support you on this digitaldarragh.

I regularly visit people who live in Mell and it's really dangerous trying to get out of any driveway there now the Mell road has become so busy. Tail backs on Trinity Street are a big problem - people use Ashfield as a rat run and I don't blame them, but not nice for the people who live in that estate.

Also... such a pity that people are using the Obelisk bridge and the lovely leafy canal as a through road to get from one Retail Park to another. :mad:

Crazy that this is thought acceptable.

Open up those slip roads and let people use the motorway to get from one end of the town to the other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 EI8GHB

I will sign your petition Darragh.

As a daily commuter to Dundalk living on Donore Road I am faced with three options in the mornings:

1) Pay €1.80 and get onto the M1 quickly and get to work on time.
    2) Use the Oldbridge Road under the M1 and along the canal which (a) is not suitable for heavy volumes of traffic and (b) adds perhaps 6 or 7 minutes to the journey or
    3) Go into Drogheda and up George's Street or Mell and onto the M1 that way, adding, depending on traffic levels, 15 or 20 mins to the journey.

I nearly always choose (1), except when I'm broke, but it galls me having to pay it.

I do not object to motorway tolls necessarily. I follow one argument which says the infrastructure has to be paid for somehow, but I also see the merits of the argument that says it is another form of taxation.

But the Donore Road toll always beat the hell out of me. Why toll an entry or an exit to the town? And it's not about getting to Auntie Mary's house or anything like that. If you live in Drogheda and commute to Dublin (or even Dundalk in my case) you either pay the toll and get there quicker, or you choose a free journey which will take longer, and add to congestion in other parts of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Its a no brainer really. I'll be signing it, and getting others to as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Have any of the road which were open before the motorway opened had a toll added to them? If not then get over it.

• Advertisement

Quote:
    Portlaois, Kinnegad and Fermoy.

Not sure about Portlaoise. I travel in and out of Portlaoise regularly. There is no toll on either exit 16 or exit 17 off the M7. There is a main toll plaza on the motorway itself some miles southwest of Portlaoise, but no toll on a main sliproad off the M7 into Portlaoise that I have seen.

EI8GHB wrote: »
    But the Donore Road toll always beat the hell out of me. Why toll an entry or an exit to the town? ./QUOTE]

Its not a toll on exiting the town. Its a toll on using the stretch of road located there. If you don't want to pay it don't. No one is forcing you to use it.

Its not a toll on exiting the town. Its a toll on using the stretch of road located there. If you don't want to pay it don't. No one is forcing you to use it.

As I said in my earlier post, I pay the toll but I don't like paying it. You're right, no-one is forcing me.

But it is not a mere "stretch of road". It is a main entry/exit into and out of Drogheda. I don't think there's much of an argument there to be honest. Grab a map of Drogheda and ask anyone to point out the main entry/exit arteries and the majority will point to Donore Road as one of them.

You never responded to me pointing out that Portlaoise does not have a toll on one of its main entry/exit roads. I wonder whether your statement that Kinnegad and Fermoy have tolls on their entry/exit routes is also false?

Also, Mr_Hat, it is quite clear from some of your other postings on separate threads that you have something against Cllr Ken O'Heiligh, who is the main instigator of the latest anti-toll campaign and has long campaigned on the issue.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74005091

I quote:
    Was Ken O'Heiligh involved in getting Aldi and Lidel in to Drogheda. I'm sick of all his nonsense with the M1 Toll. I cant see that ever changing.
    I honestly cant see how he gets elected year after year. He's a bit useless and all we ever hear out of him is nonsense bout getting rid of the toll. Fat chance!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 TeachMealog

After recently driving up to Fermanagh via the N3 then to Belfast and back to dublin via drogheda... the scam which are tolls annoy me greatly..
    If there is a toll there should be an alternative route that is not just crazy
    and dont get me started on the M50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

bigneacy wrote: »
    And where would you suggest they put the tolls then? Or, is the toll - in your wise opinion, not necessary?

How is this toll a strangehold on Drogheda? Is it impossible to access the town without using the motorway?

I'd also love to hear about the negative effects the toll is having on Drogheda? The two thriving retail parks, north and south? The huge motor-dealer complex on the Donore road? The designer shopping centre Scotch Hall? These were all developed after the motorway and tolls came.

West street? That's been in decline a long time, before the motorway - and the drogheda borough council put the nail in that coffin when they destroyed the street. And, even still, it's nowhere near as bad as Dundalk's clanbrassil street....

The motorway isn't there for Drogheda residents to get their kids to school or get from one part of Drogheda to another - it was never promised for that and never intended for such a use - there are plenty of backroads to get around the town. It wasn't built as a slip road for you to get to aunty mary's house, and if you wish to use it in that way - pay the €1.80, and don't forget your 'going through' pass.

So, for the life of me - I can't see what damage the motorway and toll plaza's are doing to Drogheda - enlighten me? I can't see Homebase, blackstone motors, TK Maxx, Tesco, etc. etc. complaining about it either, for that matter.

I bet you love handing over money, Do you get excited when the coins drop in ? The water rates probably has you drooling ...:rolleyes:

I do see your point though Its the M50 should be toll free, Drogheda has alternative ways through it but needs a new bridge for local traffic to the east of town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If you don't want to use the bridge built under PPP then don't use it. Otherwise pay the toll. A lot of whining. What nonsense!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I run through Mell every day on my way from Dundalk.

It's my god given right to speed through Mell at 50Kmh and clog it up ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭end a eknny

If you don't want to use the bridge built under PPP then don't use it. Otherwise pay the toll. A lot of whining. What nonsense!!
    you just love to give away money dont you

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Yeah. Not a solution really. They put a "Mohoway" to Cavan there recently. Cavan people are living up to their rep and the tolls aren't being used meaning that the NRA are giving the Toll operator €111,000 a week !

So if we all don't cough up...... Then we all cough up indirectly. :mad:

• Advertisement

EI8GHB wrote: »
    Also, Mr_Hat, it is quite clear from some of your other postings on separate threads that you have something against Cllr Ken O'Heiligh, who is the main instigator of the latest anti-toll campaign and has long campaigned on the issue.

No, your completely right. I think he is useless and the no tolls campain is just populist nonsense he is using to raise his profile. If the toll is ever abolished I can assure you. It wont be as a result of his involvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

lets face facts here for a minute can we . Drogheda is just slighly behind dublin for traffic congestion (per head) . 26,000 thousand cars coming through julianstown everyday with most of them heading into Drogheda . Its a nightmare to get from one side of town to the other with the only other route costing € 1.80 X 2 on a return journey . Cars going through town are running at 70 percent of the speed limit . I work in Dublin alot and would love to be able to go straight to the northside of town with having to go through julianstown village which sometimes adds 20 / 25 mins onto my journey ! a fcukin nightmare . Why should we have to injure this stress and taxation right on our doorstep ? We will see how some of the north louth posters on here like it if the proposed toll is built in Dundalk .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

The Drogheda toll is indeed unfortunate and I will be signing the petition anyway, even though I don't believe anything will come of it. I paid €950 on this toll commuting to work in Dublin last year. This year I have had to make cutbacks like everybody else and now mostly avoid the toll by going to J7. I live on the Old Slane Road and it takes 2 minutes to get on the motorway at J10 from my house. Avoiding the toll adds 10-15 minutes to the journey and clogs up the town for everyone else.

At the very least I think they should waive this toll for residents of Drogheda who want to use it every day, but won't due to the expense of it.

Mr_Hat, what rubbish you have been spreading here.
    Let’s recall a few things the Cllr has been involved with shall we?
    He was instrumental on having bans placed on HGV's on the Windmill road.
    He has successfully fought court cases for the elderly, sick and disabled where they have been summoned to court for not paying bin charges.
    He has been independently responsible for housing hundreds of Drogheda residents in public and affordable homes.
    He has been involved in protests that ensured the continued running of public bus services that cater for the elderly.

I haven't even scratched the surface here and nor do I need to.

So, tell me Mr_Hat, exactly what do you do to help the community in Drogheda? How many times have you been called out during the night at Christmas to help unfreeze a pensioners pipes during the coldest winters we've experienced in years? How many people have you found homes for? How many disabled people have you represented?

To say that the protest on tolls is the only thing he's involved in is an insult and I personally won't tolerate it.

Stop hiding behind your keyboard and maybe try doing something positive for a change. All I've read for you on this forum is constant negativity and complaining.

Considering there are hundreds of people in Drogheda that are genuinely trying to make life better for the disadvantaged in the town it annoys me to see senseless comments from you when it appears you contribute nothing.

Maybe this toll will succeed. Maybe it won't. At least someone is actively trying something.

He has successfully fought court cases for the elderly, sick and disabled where they have been summoned to court for not paying bin charges.
    He has been independently responsible for housing hundreds of Drogheda residents in public and affordable homes.
    He has been involved in protests that ensured the continued running of public bus services that cater for the elderly.

So, tell me Mr_Hat, exactly what do you do to help the community in Drogheda? How many times have you been called out during the night at Christmas to help unfreeze a pensioners pipes during the coldest winters we've experienced in years? How many people have you found homes for? How many disabled people have you represented?

To say that the protest on tolls is the only thing he's involved in is an insult and I personally won't tolerate it.

Stop hiding behind your keyboard and maybe try doing something positive for a change. All I've read for you on this forum is constant negativity and complaining.

Considering there are hundreds of people in Drogheda that are genuinely trying to make life better for the disadvantaged in the town it annoys me to see senseless comments from you when it appears you contribute nothing.

Maybe this toll will succeed. Maybe it won't. At least someone is actively trying something.

So, he's your uncle then.

All I've read coming from you is propaganda for your uncle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭K nacker

Hi Ken, keep up the good work. :rolleyes:

I’m his son. And I’m proud of it.

What difference does that make! You haven’t answered my question. As usual you hide away from the hard questions with silly pointless responses.

You call it “propaganda”. I call it the truth. Start backing up your statements with some facts?

I have seen a number of posts where you attempt to discredit people’s opinions by insinuating that their connection either through family or friendship invalidates them. What a silly narrow minded and cowardly view.

I won’t waste my time on responding to you in future.

I have seen a number of posts where you attempt to discredit people’s opinions by insinuating that their connection either through family or friendship invalidates them. What a silly narrow minded and cowardly view. .

So you don't think being O'Heirlys son gives you a skewed view of your fathers "achievements". I rate him just above Shanks. And you really should tell him to stop wasting his time with all this toll business. It might get him votes next time round. But he is never going to get it changed. Even James O'Neill has done a better job then him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Mr_Hat wrote: »
    50000 PEOPLE have joined a facebook page endorsing a inanimate carbon rod for the Irish Prescidency. You online petion mean nothing.

I lol'd.
    Mr_Hat wrote: »
    No, your completely right. I think he is useless and the no tolls campain is just populist nonsense he is using to raise his profile.

Cllr O'Heiligh is the same as any other politician, will do what he can do to make him look the best in the long run. Has he helped out a few people i know in regards to situations? Yes, to an extent. He hasnt actually helped, but he has led them to believe that he had done everything in his power to address the situations. I'm not disputing this, im just stating what i know.

However, a few years ago there was a very active group of youths who campaigned greatly for the council, or anyone, infact, to build a designated skateboarding/bmx/rollerblading area within the town.
    I was involved with the campaign and pretty much the one solitary councillor who got involved was Mr. O'Heiligh. At first it was great, all smiles, meetings, action plans and all that.
    Over time when it looked like it wasnt going anywhere he just seemed to give up and started to ignore calls and messages from certain people inquiring about further meetings and promotional events to raise the issue with the council.
    Instead it became clear that Mr O'Heiligh had moved on to an issue which was a little more successful in gaining him publicity; The openings of Lidl and Aldi in the town.
    And we the (well, not as much as we used to be)youth of the town of drogheda is still struggling with a plight to get an area of drogheda designated to practice an ever growing sport.

Do i have anything personal against Mr O'Heiligh? No.
    Do i think he is just like nearly every other politician who sets out to find something that shows them playing to the vast majority, and win or lose, they will come out golden at the end of it all? Absolutely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement