Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make Drogheda Toll Free

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I wonder how much of that €800 you're really saving given the extra petrol costs entailed by going the longer route through Drogheda...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I wonder how much of that €800 you're really saving given the extra petrol costs entailed by going the longer route through Drogheda...

In my finely tuned D-4D engine, it costs me a fraction of the cost in the morning. In the evenings, perhaps not a fraction but it would'nt be €1.80.... Generally, I'll take the N2 if I am tipping that way after 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

MugMugs wrote: »
    Well it's my unwillingness to pay that Toll

My point exactly!
    I was going to write "it's your stinginess", but I reined myself in!

My point exactly!
    I was going to write "it's your stinginess", but I reined myself in!

I can't deny that. It's part and parcel of my modern life though. Like everybody, I've had to make drastic cut backs in my expenditure. As such, additional and some un nessecary expenses have to be cut out. The Toll and the convenience of it is one of them.

And don't get me started on the bloody lights at the Bus Station ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Cllr. Ken O Heiligh

I don't want that compromised by people wanting to use the M1 as a local road.

The Drogheda TOLLED bypass is the only section that unfairly penalises local use and the M1 is as you call it compromised at Ballymascanlon , Dundalk, Castlebelagham, Dunleer, Gormanston, and few other junctions along the route.

• Advertisement

If you choose to leave the motorway to avoid the toll, then it's not the toll that causes the congestion, but YOU!

Avoiding the Donore Road TOLLS is not a choice for many people but necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Why the caps for TOLLS? Are you highlighting the word or do you think that this is how it should be in print?

Seriously people of Louth, can you elect someone with basic grammar at the next election?*

*I say this.. the jury is still out on whether this person is for real.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Why is it a necessity?

Why the caps for TOLLS? Are you highlighting the word or do you think that this is how it should be in print?.
    I placed the word TOLL in caps purely for effect but I really like the idea of adding red as it draws attention to the word. Eg: Make Drogheda TOLL Free.

I say this.. the jury is still out on whether this person is for real.

The Donore Road TOLLS are real the protest is real and I will stand in front of any jury to confirm this fact.
    Please visit www.makedroghedatollfree.com for more information.

draffodx wrote: »
    Why is it a necessity?

I have previously posted the following and I feel that it addresses your question.

‘I would present the following circumstances.

When applicants apply for social housing to Drogheda Borough Council they may end up being housed in Tullyallen. With this in mind, the ramp Tolls on the Donore Road prevents regular 2 journey trips to the far side and force families to divert down Mell over the Bridge of Peace and up the Rathmullen Road when visiting their extended family, GP, schools, and swimming pool in the Rathmullen area.
    There are many other such cases and circumstances that impact negatively due to the Donore Road TOLL’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

...I would present the following circumstances.

When applicants apply for social housing to Drogheda Borough Council they may end up being housed in Tullyallen. With this in mind, the ramp Tolls on the Donore Road prevents regular 2 journey trips to the far side and force families to divert down Mell over the Bridge of Peace and up the Rathmullen Road when visiting their extended family, GP, schools, and swimming pool in the Rathmullen area.
    There are many other such cases and circumstances that impact negatively due to the Donore Road TOLL’[/COLOR][/I].

People doing such local journeys should not use motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

The only FAIR way out of this is to charge everyone who uses the M1

Barrier free tolling should be introduced at all entrances & exits to the M1 between Dublin and Dundalk. This would ensure everyone pays for its use and reduce the congestion for everyone caused by dodging. You only have to pay a fare equivalent to the distances between exits you travelled. This works perfectly well on the turnpikes in the States and the initial cost of setup would be covered by the amount of cars not paying a toll on a daily basis.

The M50 i believe are looking to go down this road in the future..why not the M1. Max fare per journey 1.80..min fare 60c.......eg travel from exit 1 to exit 2...60 cent...travel rom exit 2 to exit 10 ...1.80......just a fast example as leavign work for the day

I have previously posted the following and I feel that it addresses your question.

‘I would present the following circumstances.

There are many other such cases and circumstances that impact negatively due to the Donore Road TOLL’

What about me? I bought in to the Celtic tiger dream... I commute thousands of miles to self support myself and get raped with Tax.... Why don't I get a break like those on social housing?
    The only FAIR way out of this is to charge everyone who uses the M1

Barrier free tolling should be introduced at all entrances & exits to the M1 between Dublin and Dundalk. This would ensure everyone pays for its use and reduce the congestion for everyone caused by dodging. You only have to pay a fare equivalent to the distances between exits you travelled. This works perfectly well on the turnpikes in the States and the initial cost of setup would be covered by the amount of cars not paying a toll on a daily basis.

The M50 i believe are looking to go down this road in the future..why not the M1. Max fare per journey 1.80..min fare 60c.......eg travel from exit 1 to exit 2...60 cent...travel rom exit 2 to exit 10 ...1.80......just a fast example as leavign work for the day

Great idea... Push everyone off our motorways.

People doing such local journeys should not use motorways.

The Drogheda TOLLED bypass is the only section that unfairly penalises local use and the M1 is as you call it compromised at Ballymascanlon , Dundalk, Castlebelagham, Dunleer, Gormanston, and few other junctions along the route.
    Local vehicles that enter and exit at other junctions along the M1 PPP Route between J7 & J18 do not hinder or compromise your journey. So why impose such a restriction on Junction 9?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Mr_Hat

The Donore Road TOLLS are real the protest is real and I will stand in front of any jury to confirm this fact.
    Please visit www.makedroghedatollfree.com for more information.

Maybe but I STILL don't believe your Ken.

I placed the word TOLL in caps purely for effect but I really like the idea of adding red as it draws attention to the word. Eg: Make Drogheda TOLL Free.

Oh, well now that it's in red, my opinion is totally changed. I mean, I had thoughts on tolls before but OH LOOK AT THE SHINEY SHINEY!

The Drogheda TOLLED bypass is the only section that unfairly penalises local use ...

Your emphasis on "tolled" is misplaced.

I have bolded the words that focus the real issue: your desire to make a bypass into a local road. Following which we would have a campaign to create a new bypass.

Mr_Hat wrote: »
    Maybe but I STILL don't believe your Ken.
    Well neighbour maybe you should call around and introduce yourself, that should help clear up any confusion you have on the matter.

Oh, well now that it's in red, my opinion is totally changed. I mean, I had thoughts on tolls before but OH LOOK AT THE SHINEY SHINEY!

At least you noticed and understood the message and thats half the battle.

gi-joe-knowing-is-half-the-battle-t-shirt-shirtaday-2.jpg

• Advertisement

Your emphasis on "tolled" is misplaced.

I have bolded the words that focus the real issue: your desire to make a bypass into a local road. Following which we would have a campaign to create a new bypass.

You fail to understand or possibly you are just ignoring the obvious but the M1 that bypasses Dundalk is used for local use the M1 Dunleer bypass is used for local use. So what we have is an established local connector road and used as such on a daily bases, unless of course you wish to use the Donore Road in Drogheda you are met with a TOLL to enter or exit the Town.

The real issue is the Donore Road Tolls and how local vehicles are financially penalised whereas our neighbouring town and village quite rightly enjoy the local use of the M1 bypass.

gi-joe-knowing-is-half-the-battle-t-shirt-shirtaday-2.jpg

Dont realy get your point sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Dont realy get your point sorry.

Its a joke, Ken.
    You know jokes?

You fail to understand
    I suggest that you do not cast aspersions on my capacity to understand things.
    or possibly you are just ignoring the obvious but the M1 that bypasses Dundalk is used for local use the M1 Dunleer bypass is used for local use...

I can't comment on Dunleer, but my experience passing the link roads suggests that locals don't hop on and hop off the motorway for short journeys to any noticeable extent. I can comment on Dundalk: the locals tend not to use the M1 as a rat run. And if they did, I would be complaining about it.

But you are deflecting the argument: you want the M1 to be usable as a local road for Drogheda, and that sort of mixing of local traffic with high-speed through traffic is dangerous. Let me repeat that, for you have never addressed that issue: what you want is dangerous. I remember fatalities on the N1 on Tullyesker which involved people on local journeys colliding with fast-moving through traffic. Do you want more of that?

I suggest that you do not cast aspersions on my capacity to understand things.
    See below

I remember fatalities on the N1 on Tullyesker which involved people on local journeys colliding with fast-moving through traffic. Do you want more of that?

Your capacity to understand things is obviously limited if you think that was the reason for fatalaties on the old N1 at Tullyesker

Your capacity to understand things is obviously limited if you think that was the reason for fatalaties on the old N1 at Tullyesker

If things that happened in the past are indicators that your preferred course of action might be bad policy, do you change the situation by denying the past and attacking the person who remembers it?

If things that happened in the past are indicators that your preferred course of action might be bad policy, do you change the situation by denying the past and attacking the person who remembers it?

Denying the past is your opinion. Not wanting to go off topic but speed and improper road layout at junctions along were the main cause for the past deaths on the N1 at Tullyesker

Getting back on topic Dundalk does not have this issue as they already have a bypass that people use frequently to avoid the centre of town

People from Dundalk that i work with are pissed off having to get off at the exit b4 the tolls and then drive accross the other side of town thru the traffic and vice versa when going home. They dont believe the toll to be fair either. Drogheda is getting nailed with congestion by the location of both tolls on the main m1 and at Donore. Trucks regularly go through the town to avoid the toll. The issue here is congestion. Getting rid of all the tolls all together would solve the problem but thats never going to happen imo. Implementing barrier free tolling on all exits appears to be the most viable solution. Some say it would push more cars onto local roads but i believe if they have a sliding scale of fares mentioned in my previous post it would work. People are less likely to avoid tolls on longer distances drives..ie dublin to dundalk in 50 mins..as opposed to dublin to dundalk via the old n1 in 90 mins++ going through swords,balbriggan,gormanstown,drogheda,dunleer.castlebellingham,dundalk...while people on shorter distance drives might not be put off by the lowest fare.
    This imo is the way things will go in the future.

that sort of mixing of local traffic with high-speed through traffic is dangerous.

Drogheda local road network is forced to contend with significant through traffic diverting from the M1. This mix of through traffic with local traffic happens on a daily bases on our roads within the town. With the recent increase in Toll charges the number of heavy goods vehicles avoiding the tolls is expected to increase and as a result traffic in Drogheda will experience additional congestion.
    Keep through traffic on the M1 is the focus and the goal of the Make Drogheda Toll Free campaign.

Denying the past is your opinion. Not wanting to go off topic but speed and improper road layout at junctions along were the main cause for the past deaths on the N1 at Tullyesker....

Apart from an arguable case about road junctions, you are in effect conceding that the problem was the mixing of high-speed through traffic with generally slower local traffic.

It's pretty well an axiom of motorway design that measures be taken to discourage local traffic using it, and it's a safety measure. It can be achieved by the location of access and exit junctions, or by tolls, or by other means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

i moved to drogheda 4.5 years ago and at that time the toll on the slip road made no sense to me and it still doesn't. however, if you enter the town on the tolled junction and then leave the town the opposite side with your receipt, within 3 hours (i think), you dont have to pay the toll again....so if there's an acceptance that the toll make no sense and has an effect on shoppers then hopefully the petition will make a lasting difference.
    if the tolled slip road was gone then i could avoid julianstown when driving to wicklow from the mell side of town and that would be brill. i don't understand why the toll isn't related to the use of the bridge, is that not what tolls were invented for in the first place? eastlink, m50 etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement