Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make Drogheda Toll Free

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Cllr. Ken O Heiligh

And a link to these sources?

Well the briefing notes I have will never be except by you as valid so you may source from the NRA or DPA directly.

You've come a long way from telling people to get a life, huh?

If I correctly remember the particular quote I said “he should get out more often” and not anything about getting a life. But you are correct I have indeed come a long way. Thank you for that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Well the briefing notes I have will never be except by you as valid so you may source from the NRA or DPA directly.

If the briefing notes come from NRA quotes, or any sources that are considered impartial, of course I'll accept them. Don't make excuses. If you've got figures and facts, back them up by providing the sources. And if you're not willing to do that, don't call others out on not backing up figures with sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

...But the facts are established that Drogheda is tolled...

Once again, and for about the 17.5 millionth time, Drogheda is NOT tolled!

The M1 is tolled, in one specific stretch only.

If the briefing notes come from NRA quotes, or any sources that are considered impartial, of course I'll accept them. Don't make excuses. If you've got figures and facts, back them up by providing the sources. And if you're not willing to do that, don't call others out on not backing up figures with sources.

I confirm again the source as the NRA who is the body that control the routes and the Drogheda Port Authority who must adhere to this directive. Both may be contacted to verify the Port Routes.

• Advertisement

I believe you would benefit from reading some of the more recent posts as the point made is that 40% of Port traffic have no options when entering or leaving the port by the Donore Road Ramp Tolls. www.makedroghedatollfree.com

I believe you would benefit from reading some of the more recent posts as the point made is that 40% of Port traffic have no options when entering or leaving the port by the Donore Road Ramp Tolls. www.makedroghedatollfree.com

How dare you tell me that I'd benefit from reading back over your posts?
    I've made the same point to you 17,500,001* times and it hasn't penetrated your skull yet!

* Disclaimer: Number may be a slight exaggeration.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I confirm again the source as the NRA who is the body that control the routes and the Drogheda Port Authority who must adhere to this directive. Both may be contacted to verify the Port Routes.

Ken, let me get this straight. First, you attack Srameen for not backing something up. Now, I ask you to back something up and you're trying to fob me off by telling me to go look up the facts and figures myself.

I'm going to go back to what I said earlier...you come into these topics, bump them up when everyone else has moved on, make wild claims, refuse to back them up yet give out when others do the same, disappear for weeks when the questions aren't going your way and repeat.

Last time I'm asking this; if YOU have facts and figures from an impartial source in front of you, YOU provide them; this burden is on you. If you want to use these facts and figures, it's up to you to provide links and relevant sources for them. Not me.

EDIT:

And while I’ve got some spare time, I must go back and respond to this....
    On the Council Web site there are two email addresses to contact me not one. The first email address is my private email and is in use on a daily bases. I have no explanation as to why the Council email address is not operational but I have requested its removal a number of times.

So it boils down to the fact you want us to believe you can win a fight to remove a toll when, in fact, you cannot even get the council website to pull down false information from the website supposedly controlled by your own council? As someone who knows plenty about websites, I cannot imagine it would take more than seconds to do such a job on the site, but apparently you cannot even get someone to remove it, let alone a toll controlled by a separate company who are going to have contracts protecting their own asses.

How dare you tell me that I'd benefit from reading back over your posts?
    I've made the same point to you 17,500,001* times and it hasn't penetrated your skull yet!QUOTE]

I will try and disentangle your most recent statement. Are you saying that you advised me to read previous posts but then get on your high horse if I make a similar suggestion?
    I have taken on board what you have said but I do not accept there validity.

I ask you to back something up and you're trying to fob me off by telling me to go look up the facts and figures myself.
    if YOU have facts and figures from an impartial source in front of you, YOU provide them; this burden is on you. If you want to use these facts and figures, it's up to you to provide links and relevant sources for them. Not me.

I have confirmed that the Port Traffic Route is directed 60% Julinstown and 40 % Donore Road Ramp Tolls. I have forwarded the two impartial sources that can verify the route. But I don’t have any computer links to give you. It the old fashion way I am afraid.

it boils down to the fact you want us to believe you can win a fight to remove a toll when, in fact, you cannot even get the council website to pull down false information from the website supposedly controlled by your own council? As someone who knows plenty about websites, I cannot imagine it would take more than seconds to do such a job on the site, but apparently you cannot even get someone to remove it, let alone a toll controlled by a separate company who are going to have contracts protecting their own asses.

To your first question, yes I believe the removal of the Donore Road Ramp Toll is achievable.

To your second query, you are incorrect the information is not false however the Council email address is not operational. You have sought my contact details and I have clarified this matter for you. When I am less busy I may request the IT Department to rectify the problem but honestly I don’t miss the bucket load of useless mail I had to trawl through. As an expert on computers you should appreciate that mail from third parties may be filtered out as spam and not make it to my address. This was an ongoing problem. I don’t have such problems with my personal email address and for this reason I am quite happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The Port traffic will increase in the coming Months due to an increase in sales

Ken, this does not add up.:confused: You cry about the toll affecting the Port. Toll charges get passed on by carrriers and should have a negative impact on the volume of business in the Port. Instead sales are increasing and Port traffic will increase.

At this stage I think you are full of dross without any real foundation for your campaign.

If I correctly remember the particular quote I said “he should get out more often” and not anything about getting a life. But you are correct I have indeed come a long way. Thank you for that.

Is more than one person using Ken's account? When the font changes so does the style of writing and the tone of the posts. :confused:

Oh, and telling someone to get out more, in the manner it was done, is tantamount to telling them to get a life and other derogatory comments.

Your "I have indeed come a long way" remark is just smartalex and certainly unbecoming of a public reporesentative (if the real councillor made that post):mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

Oh, and telling someone to get out more, in the manner it was done, is tantamount to telling them to get a life and other derogatory comments.
    ...I've made the same point to you 17,500,001* times and it hasn't penetrated your skull yet!
    Jaysus Ken would you quit being such an eejit?

Pot - kettle - black indeed, it's just that I am now not sure who has more right to get offended! :D

I understand why Ken is posting here, he has a campaign that he believes in and he's working towards. But there seems to be an unusuall inthusiasm from a few posters not just to prove Ken wrong, but to kinda portray him badly. At least one of them have told me they have no interest in this topic other than the general interest of public money well spend - which isn't believable in the first place (minor local issue, much bigger fish in the pond to play with if he's that bothered). So, I really don't know what is keeping Ken's opponents going here - if I were to guess, it could be like this:

1) They are employed by the toll company
    2) They are political opponents of Ken and has axe to gring outside the scope of this issue.
    3) They are Donore road residents who are afraid the traffic will go up there (which can be a nuisence no doubt)
    4) They are truely upstanding citizens of the country with a passion for how every penny of public money is spend, and is compassionately trying to guide their cousiller to do the right thing.

As much as I want to believe it's 4, I am thinking it's one or more of the other three. :)

Anywhoo, Good luck to you on your efforts Ken, looks like you have a hard battle on your hands and that's before you even get to the Toll people, and it looks like your supporters, at least here on boards, are still addicted to the comfy "public apathy" that partially got us to where we are today.

Positron, you have some nerve to make those ascertions. In my case you are wrong on every single count.:rolleyes:

I just can't abide when jumped up smartalexs try to preach with the use of incorrect information and bias. I don't like paying a toll anymore than the next person but Ken needs to stop crying the Drogheda people and the port of Drogheda should be excempt. It's a great facility to have the M1 as it is today and I'll just have to keep reminding myself of how bad it was before - then the toll becomes worth every penny.

Anyway, I have little interest in this topic but won't sit idle while Ken drags it up every few weeks and fails to accept the truth. To me this Cllr is just looking for cheap publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

Positron, you have some nerve to make those ascertions. In my case you are wrong on every single count.:rolleyes

If my previous comment offended you - my appologies! I was just making an observation, and it wasn't meant to belittle anyone, pro or against Ken. Is it too late to say 'I reserve my right to be proven wrong?' :D

positron wrote: »
    1) They are employed by the toll company

If you bothered to check before making such sweeping generalisations, you could find out in about a minute exactly what I do for a living. It's no great secret. And it's absolutely nothing to do with tolls.
    That being said, I do have a relative who works for the toll company. But if the toll went tomorrow, he'd be just as employable elsewhere, so it doesn't bother me from that point of view.
    2) They are political opponents of Ken and has axe to gring outside the scope of this issue.

Wrong again. I'd never even heard of the man until his son started this thread about his stupid campaign.
    3) They are Donore road residents who are afraid the traffic will go up there (which can be a nuisence no doubt)

Once again, completely wrong. I'm from Dundalk, but currently live in Cork, so I'm a regular user of the road. I choose to use the road, and I'm willing to pay for it as my time is worth more than €1.80 per half hour to me.
    4) They are truely upstanding citizens of the country with a passion for how every penny of public money is spend, and is compassionately trying to guide their cousiller to do the right thing...

Well, I'd like to think I'm an upstanding citizen, but that's not the reason I'm posting in this thread. Ken is consistently, deliberately and wilfully misrepresenting a basic fact over and over again. I keep pulling him up on it. Somebody has to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Dont be so pedantic. His point is The people of Drogheda suffer as a result of the location of the tolls. End of.

I will try and disentangle your most recent statement. Are you saying that you advised me to read previous posts but then get on your high horse if I make a similar suggestion? [/FONT]
    I have taken on board what you have said but I do not accept there validity.

1. Unlike most of your posts, I don't think my posts take too much disentangling.
    2. I don't recall asking you to read back over my posts. What I do recall, however, is correcting your untrue and oft-repeated assertion (that Drogheda has a toll on it) on multiple occasions. Since you still persist, then I can only conclude that you haven't read my posts. That's why I objected to your suggestion that I would benefit from re-reading yours.
    3. Please learn the difference between "their" and "there".
    4. You say you don't "accept the validity" of my posts. Most of my posts here consist of a single undisputable fact over and over again. The fact stands for itself. Deny its validity all you want. That doesn't change that it's still a fact. Denying only makes you look silly.

Dont be so pedantic. His point is The people of Drogheda suffer as a result of the location of the tolls. End of.

If I was truly being pedantic, I would have counted up and quoted the actual number of times I've pointed out the basic wrongness of Ken's position, rather than saying 17.5 million!

Denying only makes you look silly.

That about sums the thread up. Ken has come across so poorly here and had demonstrated stupidty (at least on this subject) without equal.:)

• Advertisement

If I was truly being pedantic, I would have counted up and quoted the actual number of times I've pointed out the basic wrongness of Ken's position, rather than saying 17.5 million!

Do you agree the people of Drogheda suffer as a result of the location of the tolls?

Do you agree the people of Drogheda suffer as a result of the location of the tolls?

If the people of Drogheda want to get from A to B, and if there are two possible routes between A and B, and if one of those routes includes the tolled section of the road, then the people of Drogheda have a choice to make. They can either choose to pay and take the quicker route, or choose not to pay and take the slower route.
    In the exact same way, the people of Dundalk, Ardee, Monaghan and almost all of Northern Ireland have a choice to make when they want to get to Dublin, Wexford, Cork ... in fact just about anywhere south and east of Galway.

Suffering simply doesn't come into it.

So, to answer your question:
    No, I do not believe that the people of Drogheda suffer because of the toll, and even if they did, they suffer no more than anyone else living N of the Boyne.

That about sums the thread up. Ken has come across so poorly here and had demonstrated stupidty (at least on this subject) without equal.:)
    I will simply request that you point your finger at the computer screen.
    Now take a long look at how many fingers are pointing back at you.

For every finger pointed there are three fingers pointing back.

If the people of Drogheda want to get from A to B, and if there are two possible routes between A and B, and if one of those routes includes the tolled section of the road, then the people of Drogheda have a choice to make. They can either choose to pay and take the quicker route, or choose not to pay and take the slower route.
    In the exact same way, the people of Dundalk, Ardee, Monaghan and almost all of Northern Ireland have a choice to make when they want to get to Dublin, Wexford, Cork ... in fact just about anywhere south and east of Galway.

Suffering simply doesn't come into it.

So, to answer your question:
    No, I do not believe that the people of Drogheda suffer because of the toll, and even if they did, they suffer no more than anyone else living N of the Boyne.

Well this is were we have to disagree. I live in Drogheda. I see the gridlock caused by cars and lorries north and south using Drogheda as a way to avoid paying the toll.Congestion is a serious problem in our town which would be alleviated somewhat if the tolls were removed at Donore.
    I agree with Ken. The toll is a toll on the people of Drogheda because of the traffic congestion and disruption it causes. If you lived here maybe you would understand it better.

If the people of Drogheda want to get from A to B, and if there are two possible routes between A and B, and if one of those routes includes the tolled section of the road, then the people of Drogheda have a choice to make.

40% of Port traffic do not have a choice.

The Town of Drogheda is a Tolled Town and suffers additional congestion from through traffic. With the PPP construction of the M1 Drogheda was set as the alternative route. The construction of the secondary Tolls on the Donore Road punished the local vehicles use harshly while the same PPP construction allowed unrestricted access for local vehicle use on the Dundalk Bye Pass.

So, to respond to your statement.
    Yes, I believe that the people of Drogheda suffer because of the Donore Road Tolls, and yes, they suffer more than say Dundalk.

Ken, this does not add up.:confused: You cry about the toll affecting the Port. Toll charges get passed on by carrriers and should have a negative impact on the volume of business in the Port. Instead sales are increasing and Port traffic will increase.

The Port Authority are marketing the business and sales are expected to increase. Part of the plan will be to operate at night to avoid HGV through traffic and if the NRA raise the percentage of HGV traffic that is required to pass through the Donore Road Ramp Tolls the Port will find it hard to attract additional orders.
    The TOLLs will continue to impact negatively on Drogheda's Port Traffic and could see business transfer to a Toll free Port in the long term.

...Congestion is a serious problem in our town which would be alleviated somewhat if the tolls were removed at Donore...

Don't think about the congestion that would be lessened by removing the tolls.
    Instead, think about the much worse congestion that you'd be suffering from if the M1 had never been built.

Ken,
    Honest question: what's this 60:40 thing you've been on about for the last couple of days?
    If I understand you right, you're saying that there's a rule that no more than 60% of lorries are allowed use the old N1.
    Who polices that?
    How do they decide whether any given lorry is one of the 60 or one of the 40?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... With the PPP construction of the M1 Drogheda was set as the alternative route....
    Of course it was. Before the M1 was constructed, it was the only route.

Had the M1 not been built, the congestion in Drogheda and on its access roads would be even greater than it now is.

• Advertisement

Don't think about the congestion that would be lessened by removing the tolls.
    Instead, think about the much worse congestion that you'd be suffering from if the M1 had never been built.

Im tired of your pointless arguments now. You add nothing to the topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement