Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make Drogheda Toll Free

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I have confirmed that the Port Traffic Route is directed 60% Julinstown and 40 % Donore Road Ramp Tolls. I have forwarded the two impartial sources that can verify the route. But I don’t have any computer links to give you. It the old fashion way I am afraid.

So we just have to take your word for it then? How convienent.
    To your second query, you are incorrect the information is not false however the Council email address is not operational. You have sought my contact details and I have clarified this matter for you. When I am less busy I may request the IT Department to rectify the problem but honestly I don’t miss the bucket load of useless mail I had to trawl through. As an expert on computers you should appreciate that mail from third parties may be filtered out as spam and not make it to my address. This was an ongoing problem. I don’t have such problems with my personal email address and for this reason I am quite happy with it.

lol.

First, it is false; if there is a contact detail on the site which leads to an address you do not check, then it is not a true contact detail. It is false information because it is advertised as a method of contacting you when, by your own admission, you don't have access to it.

Secondly, "when I am less busy, you may request the IT department rectifies the problem"...here's an idea. How bout you take 1 minute out of posting on here to fire off that email asking them to take it down? How bout you take a minute each day to keep pestering them till that false information is taken down. It's not that it would take any time at all to fire off an email to the IT department asking them to take it down and why.

Third...you don't miss the bucketload of useless mail you had to trawl through? It shouldn't matter if there's spam coming through or if stuff is being redirected into spam folders; if that's the email address listed on the official council website, that should be checked by someone on a regular basis, or it should be taken down. It shouldn't be left up as a dead end address where people may attempt to contact you, but have no chance of ever even being read.
    1) They are employed by the toll company
    2) They are political opponents of Ken and has axe to gring outside the scope of this issue.
    3) They are Donore road residents who are afraid the traffic will go up there (which can be a nuisence no doubt)
    4) They are truely upstanding citizens of the country with a passion for how every penny of public money is spend, and is compassionately trying to guide their cousiller to do the right thing.

I'm in category 5; I don't like politicians coming on, trying to BS people with a pr-campaign that will go nowhere and has no chance of ever succeeding. This is something that he's been trying to get done for five years now, and we don't seem any closer to getting rid of the tolls. He pulls facts and figures out of nowhere, asking us to trust him on the sources cause he won't provide any links to anything, holds a protest one day a year and comes out with snarky replies to people calling him out over demands he makes of people but won't adhere to himself.

Personally, it's a chance for me to take out my frustrations on a brand of politicans who have brought down this country; politicans who are more worried about looking good and keeping their fingers in their ears, while trying to come on here looking for good PR while actually coming accross as completely unprofessional when people point out the flaws in his stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I will simply request that you point your finger at the computer screen.
    Now take a long look at how many fingers are pointing back at you.

For every finger pointed there are three fingers pointing back.

Well... That told him!

It's interesting, I recently obtained my full licence and happily took the toll to travel to swords. On the way back I took the jullianstown 'toll free' route.
    By my petrol gauge I somehow used more petrol using the m1. I'm not sure if it's because it's a 1.2lr or my excellent driving but either way the julliamstown route will be the one I take now as its certainly the cheaper option for me, regardless of the toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭rpurfield

its been asked already but im asking it and im actually curious how is this 60/40 split managed?does someone count up the projected trucks per week to the port and split it?does some unfortunante haulier that decides to dodge a toll when hes not ment to get a fine?given the ports proximity to dublin port how many trucks come up the m1 from outside the town to go to the port?and one final one if sales(i assume thats exports) are incresing is that not from within the town negating the toll??

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Cllr. Ken O Heiligh

I'm in category 5; I don't like politicians coming on, trying to BS people with a pr-campaign that will go nowhere and has no chance of ever succeeding. This is something that he's been trying to get done for five years now, and we don't seem any closer to getting rid of the tolls.
    Personally, it's a chance for me to take out my frustrations on a brand of politicans who have brought down this country; politicans who are more worried about looking good and keeping their fingers in their ears, while trying to come on here looking for good PR while actually coming accross as completely unprofessional when people point out the flaws in his stance.

I’m in category 6; I don’t like armchair generals coming on, trying to discredit a campaign with total BS.
    I have provided you with the information and the contact source and I explain that there is no link available so it will require you to leave the safety of the armchair and retrieve the information the old fashion way.

The bucket load of emails is usually internal Council stuff and can be redirected but my old computer will need to be upgrade. But the nitpicking by you if you don’t mind me saying is not a healthy pastime.

Your responses are full of frustration and in the current climate I understand but again you are blinkered by these same frustrations. Yes get it of your chest by all means but please direct your comments to the politicians that have our economy on the brink of collapse. I have stood against the speculative driven development plans both in the chamber and on media. This stance at the time was frowned upon and for a period of a year I was unable to get any media coverage. So the point I am trying to get across is that campaigning should not be view as good PR but doing the right thing.

I must work hard to get an issue covered in the media and the PR is not always favourable. Campaigns by there nature are fluid and keeping abreast of all the changing circumstances and trends that have a volume of work that no amount of PR would justify.
    I could clarify other misguided comments made by you but I think we should agree to differ on the Drogheda Tolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

CMpunked wrote: »

Well... That told him!

It's interesting, I recently obtained my full licence and happily took the toll to travel to swords. On the way back I took the jullianstown 'toll free' route.
    By my petrol gauge I somehow used more petrol using the m1. I'm not sure if it's because it's a 1.2lr or my excellent driving but either way the julliamstown route will be the one I take now as its certainly the cheaper option for me, regardless of the toll.
    curious as to were u live cm?

• Advertisement

I find it amusing that...

1. You give out about people resorting to personal attacks before trying to discredit me as an "armchair general".

2. The entire point of your presence here is to recruit armchair generals who agree with you via online petitions. Can't have it both ways; either you want to discuss the problem with people online or you don't....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

Anyway, I have little interest in this topic but won't sit idle while Ken drags it up every few weeks and fails to accept the truth. To me this Cllr is just looking for cheap publicity.
    Well, I'd like to think I'm an upstanding citizen, but that's not the reason I'm posting in this thread. Ken is consistently, deliberately and wilfully misrepresenting a basic fact over and over again. I keep pulling him up on it. Somebody has to.
    I'm in category 5; I don't like politicians coming on, trying to BS people with a pr-campaign that will go nowhere and has no chance of ever succeeding. This is something that he's been trying to get done for five years now, and we don't seem any closer to getting rid of the tolls....

So, just to sum it up - all three of you have no direct personal benefit from this specific campaign, and all three of you are keen to point out that this doesn't directly effect you adversely. Yet, three of you are here matching Ken's posts with hundreds of arguments and counter-arguments over months?! If true, this has to be the most selfless act of kindness towards people of Drogheda from each of you. Again, this is just my opinion, and I don't claim to be right, and as the old saying goes, if something looks too good to be true, etc....!

curious as to were u live cm?

The general Louth area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

His point is The people of Drogheda suffer as a result of the location of the tolls. End of.
    With motorways come tolls. It's the same all over the world. I would guess that far more of the people of Drogheda benefit rather than suffer as a result of the motorway/tolls.

Positron: Unfortunately Ken has provided no FACTS regarding the consequences of removing the tolls.
    • He has commissioned no studies, no surveys, no reports. His whole campaign is based on his own opinion.
    • He has no idea how many jobs will be lost as a result of closing the tolls.
    • How many (if any) jobs will be created.
    • How the state can recoup the lost revenue (The VAT on tolls).
    • What effect to local traffic it will have. Positive or negative.
    • He has failed to address the problem of having a local 'rat-run' on the motorway if the toll is removed. A major safety concern in my opinion and an extremely important factor to consider.

I would love to see a fairer way to pay for our motorways but what Ken is suggesting is not the solution. Until he address all the points above and comes up with a rational solution rather than simply 'close the tolls', I can not support his campaign. If at some stage Ken provides a rational solution, I will have no problem supporting him.

The general Louth area.

So when you got off at julianstown did you go through drogheda and rejoin the m1 at the top of mell?

• Advertisement

Scotty # wrote: »
    With motorways come tolls. It's the same all over the world. I would guess that far more of the people of Drogheda benefit rather than suffer as a result of the motorway/tolls.

The topic addresses the location of the tolls...not the location of the motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

positron wrote: »
    So, just to sum it up - all three of you have no direct personal benefit from this specific campaign, and all three of you are keen to point out that this doesn't directly effect you adversely. Yet, three of you are here matching Ken's posts with hundreds of arguments and counter-arguments over months?! If true, this has to be the most selfless act of kindness towards people of Drogheda from each of you. Again, this is just my opinion, and I don't claim to be right, and as the old saying goes, if something looks too good to be true, etc....!

So now you're calling me a liar, are you?

So when you got off at julianstown did you go through drogheda and rejoin the m1 at the top of mell?

Nope.

I'm in category 5; I don't like politicians coming on, trying to BS people with a pr-campaign that will go nowhere and has no chance of ever succeeding. This is something that he's been trying to get done for five years now, and we don't seem any closer to getting rid of the tolls. He pulls facts and figures out of nowhere, asking us to trust him on the sources cause he won't provide any links to anything, holds a protest one day a year and comes out with snarky replies to people calling him out over demands he makes of people but won't adhere to himself.

I agree with the campaign Make Drogheda Toll free. I am not a politican. Peronal vendettas against local politicians are only clogging up this thread. You should start a new thread...and go country wide....

The topic addresses the location of the tolls...not the location of the motorway
    No, the topic addresses the existence of the tolls. The clr is not campaigning to re-locate the tolls, he is campaigning to abolish them. There is a difference and here lies the problem. How do you maintain the motorway without the toll???

Nope.

Help me out here. Am just curious how your journey was shorter on fuel by going through julianstown?..did your journey end before the black bull pub on the dublin road? Did you go down the dublin road? When you took the toll originally did you leave drogheda by going up the donore road and onto the m1 that way?
    Simple questions. Easy answers.

No, the topic addresses the existence of the tolls. The clr is not campaigning to re-locate the tolls, he is campaigning to abolish them. There is a difference and here lies the problem. How do you maintain the motorway without the toll???

Tax everybody...not just a few.

Yes I agree and have suggested this already. Every single car that enters the motorway should pay for it not just those unfortunate enough to use the tolled section.

It would require an extremely expensive installation of reg readers like on the M50 toll but every car would be charged. You could charge a much lower fee (eg. 20c per exit passed with a min fee of 50c max fee of €1.80) but I would expect the total revenue to be many times what it is at present.

While we're on the subject, I'd also scrap motor tax and incorporate it into the cost of fuel. Let those who use the roads most pay for them.

did your journey end before the black bull pub on the dublin road?

It didn't.
    Did you go down the dublin road?

Somewhat, yes.
    When you took the toll originally did you leave drogheda by going up the donore road and onto the m1 that way?

I entered the motorway there, yeah.
    Simple questions. Easy answers.

Exactly. :)

It didn't.

Somewhat, yes.

I entered the motorway there, yeah.

Exactly. :)

Ah i see ..could not figure out how the outward journey on the motorway was less fuel efficient ....but now i know a to b...was a lot longer distance than b to a judging from were abouts your journey started and ended

• Advertisement

I agree with the campaign Make Drogheda Toll free. I am not a politican. Peronal vendettas against local politicians are only clogging up this thread. You should start a new thread...and go country wide....

What personal vendetta? What exactly do you think I have against the Councillor on a personal level? He created the topic, and continued to bump it up over and over, on a public message board, so I'm responding. There's nothing personal here. It's not liking what a politician is coming up with so I'm calling him out on it.

And what new thread? What would this thread entail exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

So now you're calling me a liar, are you?

Huh, that's a funny way to ask - I would have thought the tag question would be "aren't you?", but anyway, the answer is no. Now why, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Cllr. Ken O Heiligh

The focus of this campaign is to have the secondary TOLLs removed from the Donore Road. As its view by those that support the campaign as a TOLL charge to enter Drogheda on one of its main artery routes. www.makedroghedatollfree.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Huh, that's a funny way to ask - I would have thought the tag question would be "aren't you?", but anyway, the answer is no. Now why, are you?

If you're going to try to pull someone up on their use of the English language, you should consider double checking first!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The focus of this campaign is to have the secondary TOLLs removed from the Donore Road. As its view by those that support the campaign as a TOLL charge to enter Drogheda on one of its main artery routes.
    What makes the Donore Road into a main artery route? Before the M1 was constructed, it wasn't that busy.

[WTF is a "secondary TOLL"?]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Do you agree the people of Drogheda suffer as a result of the location of the tolls?

No. Any you need to really look at life if a Motorway toll equates to suffering. :mad:

Pardon? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. :confused:

Why am I not surprised???

Yes you are right. I have no personal benefit in this - how could I have? I just can't abide a Cllr coming on Boards and spouting BS just to garner some brownie points for himself. I would have let it go long ago but he gets personal and makes very un-PC comments about people who question him.

What personal vendetta? What exactly do you think I have against the Councillor on a personal level? He created the topic, and continued to bump it up over and over, on a public message board, so I'm responding. There's nothing personal here. It's not liking what a politician is coming up with so I'm calling him out on it.

And what new thread? What would this thread entail exactly?
    your peronal issue with politicians you mentioned earlier...start a new thread in a relevant forum

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

This thread has run its course and is going around in circles with snide remerks left right and centre. Therefore, it is now closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement