Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cobb or Cadac

• 25-08-2011 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭

So far we have just been using the disposable BBQs for our weekend trips in the camper. They've been working out fine so far but we're heading off to France for 2 weeks in September and I'm looking for a better alternative.

I'm thinking either a Cobb or a cadac safari chef.

Both seem pretty small, lightweight and versatile. The cadac is alot cheaper and has the convenience of gas but the Cobb uses charcoacl (great for that BBQ taste) and can also be used as an oven for cooking pizzas, bread or even a roast!

Anyone got any experience of either of these and opinions thereon or indeed any alternatives that I should consider?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

Repolho wrote: »
    So far we have just been using the disposable BBQs for our weekend trips in the camper. They've been working out fine so far but we're heading off to France for 2 weeks in September and I'm looking for a better alternative.

I'm thinking either a Cobb or a cadac safari chef.

Both seem pretty small, lightweight and versatile. The cadac is alot cheaper and has the convenience of gas but the Cobb uses charcoacl (great for that BBQ taste) and can also be used as an oven for cooking pizzas, bread or even a roast!

Anyone got any experience of either of these and opinions thereon or indeed any alternatives that I should consider?

Thanks.

I have the cadac and can highly recommend it. We used it in France too this year. Ask yourself, do I really want to be standing waiting for a roast? In France they sell roast chicken on the side of the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mcquill

I have a Cadac, great bit of kit. Never saw the Cobb before but it looks interesting.
    The question you should ask yourself is what do I intend to use it for? I bought the Cadac with all the attachments including skottel and really only use two for straightforward barbecueing. If you use them all, more cleaning and more weight to carry around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭here2surf

I have both.
    Bought the Cobb first but found it impractical due to having no legs, being ridiculously Smokey when firing up, it was actually a little embarrassing as the lava ignites it sends plumes of rancid smoke onto nearby campers and their wash lines. I used to wait for the complaints as i fired it up.
    It is also on the small side. This could be in its favor as it is relatively portable and no need for gas cylinder.
    The Cadac is great. It is a different beast to the Cobb in fairness as it is bigger and less portable.It does work very well and the deflector does its job. Takes a while to get used to the different parts and storage bags.
    I would agree re the skoettel being something of a luxury as iv only used it 2 or 3 times.
    Overall I would buy the cadac any day but regret buying the cobb.
    Watch the grease tray dosent catch fire whilst you are using the grill on the Cadac as it will warp the grill and get destroyed. This happened to me and i had to order replacement.

With regards to roasting i dont believe the lava fuel gives enough heat or burn time to roast.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dorts

We have a cadac and we can highly reccomend it,we use it for all our cooking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Bought cadac recently.

Excellent, easy to use, simple to assemble and stores nice and compact.

11 out of 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

Think I will go with the cadac so. Haven't heard any bad reports on them.

Anyone any recommendations for the best place to get 1. Need it pretty soon as we are going in 2 weeks so might just pop into Argos to get it even if it is a little dearer than other places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21 gerryt50

I bought mine here Cadac Carri Chef. It was the deluxe model and was delivered within 48hrs for around 150euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

cadac. in the link above the big dish thats like a wok cooks a mean curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wilhelm

Definitely the Cadac.

Very well thought out and put together piece of kit. The accessories give you a lot of flexibility in cooking a wide range of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭steelboots

Just be aware that some campsites in France do not allow char coal BBQ's so gas is probably a better option. I always carry a few spare dispoasable BBQ's for a change form the gas now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

IN the ned we bough neither. As it was our first trip longer than a weekend in the van we decided we would just wing it. Anything we felt we were missing we could get when we got home for the next time and anything we brought that we didn't need would be left at home next time!

Didn't think we overly missed either option. There's a 2 burner gas hob in the van and we've a coleman thingy for outside. We just used a grill pan on either of those.

We came accross a green bucket BBQ in Tesco for €4 recently. As it matches our green vw campervan we couldn't leave it behind us. We'll try that out next time and see how that works out!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Lochlannach

We had the same debate about two years ago and ended up going with the Cadac. Great bit of kit which I would recommend.

I did a roast chicken in it last year too...started with the chicken upside down for a bit and then right way up...very nice and no hassle given that you're mostly sitting around doing little else in the evening anyway.

Advertisement