Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 134: Silva v Okami

123457»

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

He doesn't say he will make EVERY fight that fans want...

Its possible to make fights that fans want, while saying "I wont make that fight". Theres no logical inconsistency there...

While I would buy that PPV for sure, I dunno if he's wrong to refuse to match make it... its a tough call. It would have to be at catch-weight (or its unfair to one of them) and its hard for both of them to return to their divisions afterwards.... weight is not something you can or should just put on and throw off like that...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Well it's been established that if that fight WAS to happen it would mean GSP taking a bit of time off and bulking up so he could be a decent sized MW and stay at MW permanently.

I think if the match is going to be made though it has to be after the Diaz fight (presuming GSP wins of course). If not, by the time more fights happen and GSP becomes big enough to be a Middleweight......... it might be too late!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If I was GSP... I wouldnt do it. Its a huge risk to his established dominance in his weight division. Why would he do such a thing? He's already established himself as a legend, is practically a crowned king in his own country and could easily ride his reputation to retirement. Getting a hiding from Silva (which would be my prediction) is not going to be worth any amount that UFC could afford to spend on him.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

DeVore wrote: »
    If I was GSP... I wouldnt do it. Its a huge risk to his established dominance in his weight division. Why would he do such a thing? He's already established himself as a legend, is practically a crowned king in his own country and could easily ride his reputation to retirement. Getting a hiding from Silva (which would be my prediction) is not going to be worth any amount that UFC could afford to spend on him.

DeV.

Because fighters / competitors want to keep testing themselves.

GSP losing to Silva wouldn't hurt his rep at all imo. In fact they both are so established that it's meerly to see who is THE best as opposed to the best. If that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

If GSP beats Diaz then there is no one left in his division for him to fight that he couldn't clean the floor with.

If he decides to move up to MW, what happens if he fights Silva and loses? He's in limbo.

Does he move back down to WW immediately or have a few more fights at MW until he may have another shot at the title?

His status as a legend could quickly disappear after 2 or 3 loses in a row at MW.

My guess is that they'll wait a little while longer, probably until Silva is nearly ready to retire.

If Silva beats GSP he could retire with a great record and GSP could have a go at the MW title without Silva in the way.

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote: »
    Getting a hiding from Silva (which would be my prediction) is not going to be worth any amount that UFC could afford to spend on him.

DeV.

I think if this fight happens we'll have to have a little wager ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

The card for 134 was very good, the fights were not.

The Anderson Silva fight was crap viewing, if I'd paid for that I'd be throwing stuff at the tv, it wasn't even entertaining.

Dermighty wrote: »
    The card for 134 was very good, the fights were not.

The Anderson Silva fight was crap viewing, if I'd paid for that I'd be throwing stuff at the tv, it wasn't even entertaining.

What does this even mean?

there were some good fights on the card! Some good KOs, some good contests!

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

i thought the anderson silva fight was great viewing, you get to see the most dominant champion demolish someone very quickly and show how great he really is

Advertisement