Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software to produce graphics of geographical maps

Options
  • 25-08-2011 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi all,

Have trawled the internet looking for answers, but to no avail - hoping somebody can point me in the right direction!

My boss has asked me to source software in particular to create graphics of geographical maps, specifically maps of Europe, which can be manipulated to highlight certain countries, change colours of geographical areas, labels with country-specific figures, etc.

The intention is that we would use these graphics for magazines, reports, website imagery that we produce (we're a trade association).

The trouble is that anything I've found seems to be moreso focused on providing a tool to understand geographical areas (e.g. identifying where sales are strongest and so on) rather than being focused on producing nice clean flexible imagery.

Any tips or suggestions on what software to look for would be genuinely appreciated, both by myself and my boss!!

Hope my ignorance of this area hasn't caused my question to be unclear - if I need to clarify please let me know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Sounds like your looking for an infographic mapping tool that your company can customise. Either that or simply get some static map examples and simply use a graphic editing tool to colour in or add graphics to the images.

Start out by using the 'infographic map' term in google and see what fits your needs best. A quick search produced this:

http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2009/10/30-superb-examples-of-infographic-maps/

Maybe have a look through the 30 examples and choose one which suits your requirements the most and highlight it as something that your company is looking for?

This might refine your question a bit more and provide more focused answers as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

Deliverance,

Thank you very much for this - it's exactly the knowledge I was looking for!

Am now making actual progress on this so you have my genuine appreciation!

Advertisement