Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkennycoco - I've seen it all now!

Options
  • 25-08-2011 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

What bright spark in the roads department decided the last week in August would be a good time to start putting in two new roundabouts on the Castlecomer Road, one of them at the entrance to two schools? FFS! It's been like a morgue on the road for the last three months and then they pull this stunt! I don't believe it!

While looking through their website I came across this gem.
    Fáilte Isteach classes to begin in Kilkenny - English language conversational classes for migrants

Let's really confuse them - Irish title for English language classes. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Has Kilkenny got a obsession with roundabouts, if there's a spare 10 feet at a junction the council has to put in a runabout!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Dymo wrote: »
    Has Kilkenny got a obsession with roundabouts, if there's a spare 10 feet at a junction the council has to put in a runabout!

Not just a Kilkenny thing by the looks of it,
    About 3 major works began in Galway this week. Traffic has been a disaster as a result.

Why, in this county, has night work on roads never really taken off?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Maudlin St was resurfaced recently and done at night, nice job too in all fairness(dont want to seem a CO Co sympathiser!!) especially in light of the ring road fiasco and also the epic work of paving the footpath at Johns Church, saw one man paving while 2 watched, I was stuck in lights for several minutes, all one of the guys was doing was handling the guy on the ground a paving sett as he laid them, I wanted to cry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

It would only take a bunch of clowns to come up with an idea like that. Bloody stupid!
    They don't need roundabouts there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Where are the roundabouts? Would I be right in saying Greenshill and Lenehans?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

Just around the the 2 junctions at the two topaz garages on the Comer road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

kippy wrote: »
    Why, in this county, has night work on roads never really taken off?

Because the wasters in the coco, would moan and expect huge overtime payments.

There are always load of em brestfeeding shovels at any of these jobs, safe in the knowledge that they would have to burn down the head office before there is any chance of anyone getting sacked..

Breaks my balls to have to pay tax to keep the vastly overstaffed corpo going..

RANT OVER

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

That's the general area where I live and I really don't see the need for it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

aidankkk wrote: »

There are always load of em brestfeeding shovels at any of these jobs, safe in the knowledge that they would have to burn down the head office before there is any chance of anyone getting sacked..

RANT OVER

I wouldnt be against paying for overtime payments for night work. Isn't a lot of this type of work contracted out to private contracters at this stage? Could it not be part of the requirements at tender stage that so much of the work be done at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Passed a bunch of them digging a hole onthe castle road yesterday, well one of the was digging, the other was holding onto the wheelbarrow and another 3 were standing around them "breast-feeding their shovels" as AidenKK so eloquently put it.

Its the same in all CoCo's. Ive heard stories from a guy who worked in a council before, and he was told to slow down because he was making everyone else look bad :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Breastfeeding shovels. Its where I got my username from sure! I think they were lazing about outside my window the day I made this account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

makes me made when i think of the amount of tax i have to pay to fund all this fruitless employment.

Ehh have they changed their minds? They went for the one opposite the skeilp in and they upgraded the one near Greens bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I endorse the roundabout at the Sceilp. Would have been better to have put it in maybe 15 years ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

fabbydabby wrote: »
    I endorse the roundabout at the Sceilp. Would have been better to have put it in maybe 15 years ago though.

I agree,and it only took them a day or two.
    They also installed a new island and relined the pedestrian crossing opposite the Black Cat,they had it done in one day:eek:

To be honest Im amazed at the amount and speed of the work being done around kilkenny,could it have anything to do with Phil hogan being in power.
    Although Carlows streets are a mess.

They are changing Johns Green as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Yeah? What are they doing there?
    I agree,and it only took them a day or two.

I know, totally. It's not exactly straight out of left field as an idea either. Like, a roundabout is a fairly standard thing to consider at a congested junction.

Or I know... maybe a city-wide one-way system! That'll sort it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

It would seem that having exhausted all other alternatives in the end they'll do the right thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Got to add the zebra crossing on john st is a joke was raining there on Saturday and you can not see the lights or the road marking for it how hard is it for them to paint it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I was only thinking about this thread this afternoon when wondering what happened to the two roundabouts on the Comer Road. Maybe they are waiting for the week before Christmas to begin the actual roundabouts. :rolleyes: I must give them a call tomorrow to see what is going on so I don't get surprised into a fit of road rage one of these mornings. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sliderman

aidankkk wrote: »

RANT OVER

I heard you never did a days work in your life ;)

Advertisement