If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is the COOLEST Feature I've seen on a TV in a very long time!

Options
  • 25-08-2011 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

I was out at the Philips Trade show yesterday and whilst there was many great new product we will have the pleasure of bringing to the market, ONE thing left me amazed above all else out there - I've never seen this before and it's perhaps the coolest feature I've seen on a TV for as long as I can remember.

And what it is at its simplest is a mode for split screen games - wow sounds great doesnt it.....but!

Traditionally on these sort of games you'd have the image on the TV screen split across the centre and Player 1 would have and control their car/characterer etc in the top half of the screen and Player 2 would use the bottom half of the screen.

Works grand, but thanks to the tech in our new range of Philips 7 series TV's it gets way, way better.

We now have a Split Screen mode that, when used with the Passive Gaming spec's lets you BOTH see only the portion of the game meant for you across the ENTIRE SCREEN - SIMULTANEOUSLY:D:D no more concerntrating on only half the screen

I had a good session playing with it - sorry I mean evaluating it at it was just so much fun!

Such a simple idea it is.

Once we get these TV's and the Gaming Spec's in store we will set up a demo session for everyone to call in and have a go.

It really is amazing!

Check out the info on our New 7 series via this link

atb
    Ash

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Sounds very cool.
    How does it work?
    Do you have to sit at a certain position?
    Any drawbacks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Littlejp

Sounds very cool.
    - Yes it VERY Cool!

How does it work?
    - Basically the TV seems to weave the two images together and displays them on screen - when you look at it without the glasses you see everything jumbled together - and each player wears special set of polarized passive glasses that filter out the info for the other player so you only see your image over the screen and not your opponents

Do you have to sit at a certain position?
    Ideally you want to be at least 6 or 7 feet away from the TV - it still works if you sit closer but seems better a little further back you are
    Its actually seemed to hold up pretty well when viewed off axis as well for that matter

Any drawbacks?
    Not really, the passive glasses are very light weight
    It's only complatible with games consoles that plug in via HDMI so its really for XBOX 360 and PS3

To be honest with you once I started playing with it all thoughts of testing kind of went out the window:o........but it worked grand standing up and when I sat down and had another crack at it after wrestling the controller of someone else.

cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭lar77

Sounds great but .... is it going to cause more lag in online games due to more processing?

Hi Lar

Actually will have to see if it can be enabled with online games - i'll have to come back to you on that one.

Well we plan on arranging a demo day to show this off - I'll post up on Boards when we have it organised so you'll be welcome to call in and see it in action AND have a blast personally

atb
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 43,898 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Heard about this a few weeks back.. tis fantastic alright. Here's a video:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Sony have a PS3 package available with one of these Tv's included.They announced it at E3 back in June. I think the Sony one is 26 inches and it costs around 350 euro which is a very good price for such new technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

I'm assuming these are special glasses that aren't the normal movie passive glasses? Normally, passive glasses are polarized in different directions for each lens -- unless you are using a dedicated "gaming glass" pair (or chopping regular glasses in half, then using two left vs two lenses for the two players), I don't see how you can get it working with regular passive glasses.

The Sony solution uses Active glasses - so that one player has them configured "both left", and the other player has them configured "both right" - allowing the game to be played.

Hi Guys

The glasses are polarised but the actual lenses in each pair of Gaming Glasses are the same polarity rather than each lense in a pair being differently polarized.

One pair of glasses are polarised for one side the 2nd pair are polarised for the other side.

If you watch with regular 3D polarized glasses it looks jumbled - until you close one eye or the other!

very simple and very effective.

cheers
    Ash

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.