Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I being unreasonable?

Options
  • 25-08-2011 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Heya

I live in a houseshare in drumcondra.

We have house rules about noise - no instruments/music late on weeknights, friday or saturday evenings are fair game to have music/friends over/have a good time.

We also agree to share milk, oil, seasonings and basic kitchen stuff.

However, one girl has no respect for any of this - last week she told me she was having a birthday party on sunday afternoon, i said cool no bother. The party didn't turn up until she starts putting music on at 6.00am, loud, in the bedroom above mine. I get up at 6.40 for work so I wasn't too happy. I knocked on her door to tell her it was 6am, people are sleeping and this is seriously not ok with me.

Monday evening I come home from work, go to bed, about 2.30am I get woken up and there's loud music and about 10 people in her room who've just wandered in. I still have to get up for work. I ask her to turn it off because I'm working in the morning, it goes quiet for about 3 minutes before getting cranked again. At this point I shout at her to turn it down, no dice, still thumping, so I pack up what I need for work that day and go sleep at my parents' house.

This kind of late night noise has been an ongoing issue but I've put up with it until now, but I've been up all night a few times, a ****ing mess at work the next day etc

She also helps herself and has done on 5 or 6 occasions to my food, or just throws it out if she wants to put her stuff in the fridge. The other day a block of cheese and some cream got taken for her drunk food, kitchen left in an unholy mess.

I can't live there with her so I'm at the folks' place. I've paid my rent and apart from her I really like living there and don't want to leave. Get on well with the other housemates.

Is this completely unnacceptable behaviour or am I being a killjoy here? I'd have no problem with a party on a weekend night at all.

I've contacted the landlord who said he'll give her her notice. Can he boot her out for this? I don't particularly want to keep paying rent on a room that is basically unliveable in for me as long as she's making noise...My rent is paid upfront til the middle of next month.

thanks for reading I guess, needed to get it off my chest.

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

She is an idiot.
    She won't change either so don't stay if she 'promises' to be a better housemate.
    Move out or get her kicked out.
    Life is too short for dealing with idiots like her.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Zamboni wrote: »
    She is an idiot.
    She won't change either so don't stay if she 'promises' to be a better housemate.
    Move out or get her kicked out.
    Life is too short for dealing with idiots like her.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Yup - she is a fool.

What do the others in the house have to say about the situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

everyone is fed up with her and her bull****, the landlord has said she's out... I imagien she can't be booted out without a significant notice period? I suppose if I want to keep living in this place I have to keep paying my rent even if she's there acting the maggot?

I can live with my dog in this houseshare, this is important to me, and moving out and finding another dog friendly houseshare isn't something I want to deal with. I guess I'm willing to pay a month's rent to be able to keep the place and live there without her.
    lucky to have my folks tohelp me out when this happens, it would be hell otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Does she work, or is she a student? Does she use the internet much? Does she watch TV at all? Restrict her usage of the TV, disable her access to the internet, and see if flicking the switch for plugs on the main fuse board would any one else in the early hours (may reset their alarms, so ask beforehand).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I used to live next to a fella who was an alcoholic. Drinking and shouting at God/himself/the moon at all hours of the night.

Then one day he stopped me and told me off for closing my door too loudly in the morning when I was heading to work!

Best part was when he had a fight with his (also) drunken brother one afternoon, both of them fell down the stairs and out into the street where his brother knocked 7 shades of [you know what] out of him before the cops arrived!

Do what I did, get her kicked out asap. Tell the landlord that she goes or you do. Who is he going to see as a bigger loss?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Yeah I've had a few problems like this before. For now leave it up to landlord and talk to the girl when shes sober.....I find anytime I go out to a housemate while they're drunk is a bit of a lost cause.

she's gone...

moving back in this evening.
    Thanks y'all

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

What happened?

the landlord booted her out, she didn't move, and then apparently someone saw her throwing stuff out the windows and the landlord came around again... and now she's got the message and left.

• Advertisement
Advertisement