Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texting to Northern Ireland on the cheap?

Options
  • 25-08-2011 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

My partner is moving to Belfast study. We are both on pay-as-you-go with Vodafone IE, and usually depend on free texts as our main way of contacting each other, otherwise we wouldn't be able to afford the cost of credit.

We have considered several options, and need some help as to what would be the cheapest way to keep in contact with each other.

1. Would it be more beneficial for my partner to get a cheap phone with a Vodafone NI sim, and use this to contact me. Or would that make a difference

2. Would it be cheaper to just continue texting Vodafone IE to Vodafone IE phones, while incurring the roaming charges. If so, how much are these. I have heard that they may become a thing of the past, but I can't remember if this information is correct.

3. My partner has a Blackberry. We would both have plentiful access to wifi. Should I get a Blackberry so both of us can use Blackberry Messenger, or does this cost when you use it across the border.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Google : Cabbge texter

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Use whatsapp to send messages instead of texting. If you both switch to 3pay then you can also use 3 like home in Belfast so calls don't have international charges. Also if you get the three version of Skype on your phones then you can ring each other using that practically unlimited. 3 Skype uses the normal gsm network so the call quality would be exactly like a normal phone call.

Advertisement