Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lost passport in oz

Options
  • 25-08-2011 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey all,
    I am in a bit of a dilema over here in oz, i am currently residing here illegally (visa has expired) and i have lost my passport, Now i have been in contact with the irish embassy and they have sent me the forms, on a certain section of the application form for lost passports it says you must get it signed by a police office. Is there a chance i will be held if i enter a police station asking them to sign my passport aplication, i mean all they have to do is run my name threw their system and im caught. I have been without a passport now for a few months and to be honest im sick of it, if i get caught in the morning by immigration they will hold me till a passport can be arranged which could take weeks. Really don't like the sounds of that to be honest
    Thanks in advance for any help guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Well you can't leave Oz without a passport anyway, so it's just something that has to be done. You have to do it sooner or later, so why not do it today and get the worrying over and done with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If he has no visa and leave to remain in Australia he will be arrested and sent to Villawood detention centre. He could be there weeks before they deport him.

His best option is to get an emergency passport from the embassy in Canberra and then immediately leave Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

OP why do you need a passport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 theletterman

Would getting one done in ireland and posted out to me a viable option, im sure my mother could get a garda to sign the form for her at home if i sent the signed documents home, along with my birth-cert etc

Not a viable option as the forms you have are the wrong ones.

Then there is the problem with making false declarations.
    I think he wants to go home.

• Advertisement

You Dont need a passport to go home I assume you can be sent home without one.

Zambia wrote: »

I don't really to be honest, i got a aussie age card i.d so does me for pubs,clubs etc. But i will need one eventually, i have met literally hundreds of illegal irish over but no-one in my situation. I think i need one to book a flight home so to avail of the cheap airfares i would have to book now for a flight in 4-5 months time, plus i would like to go to asia on the way home so if i could avoid going down the route of getting an emergency passport before i fly that would be great

Let me guess your in Bondi ?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

Regardless of whether he would be deported or travel out of his own choice he needs a travel document which is a passport of an emergency one travel one.

OP have you told them in the Embassy that you are illegally there and your fear of going to the police in case you are detained. If not you should as they may well waive the need for the police report and also if you can give them a time frame of when you might be leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Had a friend in the same situation recently. Couple of things to clear up...

Firstly do you want the passport because you are going home?

If you do...

1. Book the flights (using your old passport number) - you should have it somewhere.
    2. Phone Immigration and explain that you are a) Illegal b) Have booked flights home and c) you need to get a passport
    3. Go into a Police Station, tell them you lost your passport and need to get the forms stamped. If they pull you up on your illegal status explain to them you have spoken with Immigration and give them the name of the person you spoke with. (Putting you in Villawood costs the Government money and they will avoid at all costs)
    4. Go back to the Irish Embassy and get whatever you need sorted.
    EDIT - 5. Phone the Airline with your new passport number to prevent any travel issues

Also, a friend of a girl I work with (who I have met before - not an old wives tale!!) got pulled a couple of weeks back for speeding...they checked him out, found out he was illegal and told him he has 28 days to leave the country. They were okay about it but told him the next time he was going to the Detention Centre.

Not going to be an enjoyable few days mate but you made the foolish decision to stay illegal and at this stage you will just have to man up and face the consequences.

Good luck anyway mate... should be fine, just have zero attitude with anyone and take it all on the chin.

• Advertisement

You Dont need a passport to go home I assume you can be sent home without one.
    Nope. They will lock you up until they (immigartion) can get a travel document for you.
    Until then it is nice food and company in Villawood for you.

I don't really to be honest, i got a aussie age card i.d so does me for pubs,clubs etc. But i will need one eventually, i have met literally hundreds of illegal irish over but no-one in my situation. I think i need one to book a flight home so to avail of the cheap airfares i would have to book now for a flight in 4-5 months time, plus i would like to go to asia on the way home so if i could avoid going down the route of getting an emergency passport before i fly that would be great

Can't have your cake and eat it mate, if you are going home it needs to be in the next couple of weeks or do this as you are leaving but just for the sake of trying to save money.... need to realise how unrealistic you are being ... Seriousl!!!!!!:confused:

Let me guess your in Bondi ?

Does that matter and how is this related to the topic?

Its completely wrong what he has done but maybe worth chipping in with useful advice?

Mate you have given all the usefull advice the OP needs Im just curious that ok with you?

OP needs to keep a low profile and not come to police attention. In any interactions with the police in Australia they have ran my name and checked my status.

So stay off the radar until you are ready to leave.

there is also a huge posibility that they simple won't check my visa status, i have asked many people on my travels about my situation, some of whom are illegal and have been arrested and in court and where never asked about there visa status.
    i would imagine signing passport documentatiuon is an everyday occurence for them, there is a chance if they are busy they will just sign it and say "next please"

Mate you have given all the usefull advice the OP needs Im just curious that ok with you?

Of course, its a public forum. You are free to ask OP a question, as I am you.

there is also a huge posibility that they simple won't check my visa status, i have asked many people on my travels about my situation, some of whom are illegal and have been arrested and in court and where never asked about there visa status.
    i would imagine signing passport documentatiuon is an everyday occurence for them, there is a chance if they are busy they will just sign it and say "next please"

As I said, it has to be close to when you are leaving. Have all your stuff in order and ready to go. You can take your chances but I would not advise it.

Also, as Our Man in Havana says...stay out of trouble and under the radar until you go or you could open a can of worms for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Would getting one done in ireland and posted out to me a viable option, im sure my mother could get a garda to sign the form for her at home if i sent the signed documents home, along with my birth-cert etc

That should work, get your mother to post you out the passport forms (different from the ones you would get in canberra), you fill it in sign it etc, get photos done, post it back to her, she can get garda to sign it explaining the situation, when she gets the passport back, she can post it to you, its a bit of to-ing and fro-ing but it has to be done

Lets just hope she knows that garda well and that he/she will sign and stamp it for her...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

actually location might be a relevant, I was told * this could well be a BS story* bondi/coogee is a lot more likely to be checked for illegal visa than other areas.

Op I think it will depend on the police officer, my ex lost her passport and had only a month to go on her WHV, and when she brought her form in, the guy just signed it there and then (she had an Irish licence with her and a bank statement) he just reviewed the doc and signed it.

Now that was 3 years ago mind.

• Advertisement

man1 wrote: »
    That should work, get your mother to post you out the passport forms (different from the ones you would get in canberra), you fill it in sign it etc, get photos done, post it back to her, she can get garda to sign it explaining the situation, when she gets the passport back, she can post it to you, its a bit of to-ing and fro-ing but it has to be done

Lets just hope she knows that garda well and that he/she will sign and stamp it for her...

cheers,

ya might give that a go alright, i think its best to sort sooner rather then later, i don't fancy getting stopped at a train station,in a car or on a night out and get caught. It would be a long wait in a detention center while they organise my passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

Better check that she knows a guard that will sign and stamp form - which they shouldn't do, as you'll be waisting time with it coming and going.

Advertisement