Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't use BB and Phone together. Help?

• 25-08-2011 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭

A few weeks ago we had a storm here (Co. Sligo), which caused some problems with our phone line. When I discovered this, I contacted my provider (Vodafone) who got things sorted outside the house. However, since that time I've not been able to use my phone if the BB router is plugged in, and I can't figure out why.

My set-up (in case it may be relevant) is as follows:

I have my DECT phone in the kitchen (where the line comes into the house) and this has a filter on the line. An extension cable goes from the box up to the attic. This line is then split using an ADSL Splitter, one line going to the router, one to the Sky box. I have my set-up like this to allow me use my wireless connection anywhere in the house. I used to have the router beside the phone but as that's at one end of the house, the wireless connection wouldn't reach the other end of the house.

Someone (I think the VF helpline guy, but can't be sure now) told me that the ADSL splitter in the attic might be causing the problem, so I replaced it with an old splitter I had lying around, but to no avail. In case there was a problem with the old splitter, I bought a new one, but still nothing.

At the moment, we have to have the phone line disconnected from the router to allow us use the phone, and if we plug it back in, we can use the Boradband but not the phone. The sky box can "see" that the phone line is connected, and unplugging it from there doesn't make any difference, or allow us use the phone and BB at the same time.

I hope this makes sense, and that someone can guide me in the right direction to try and fix this. If you need any more details, just ask and I'll check back as often as possible.

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

Just wanted to bump this query up once to see if anyone who hasn't seen it yet has any ideas for me.

I'd be grateful if anyone could help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sounds like your modem is broken, and taking the line down.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kingtorres9

TheQ47
    Can u put the filter somewhere after the splitter. I think that maybe ur problem. My set up is similar to ur own and was giving me problems then an eircom guy switched places with the splitter and the filter and never looked back

jor el wrote: »
    Sounds like your modem is broken, and taking the line down.
    Thanks, jor el, it may be. I'll see if I can borrow a router/modem from someone and swap it in to see if that works. I thought because I can get BB that it must not be broken.

Update: swapped in my old Perlico modem, and all is well! Yay! Thanks

TheQ47
    Can u put the filter somewhere after the splitter. I think that maybe ur problem. My set up is similar to ur own and was giving me problems then an eircom guy switched places with the splitter and the filter and never looked back

Kingtorres9, thanks for the reply.

I don't know how I could swap them around though, as I can't have my modem on the line in the kitchen, or else the wifi signal won't reach all over the house. Also, everything was working fine with the current set-up until the outage mentioned, so I don't think that's the problem

Thanks for taking the time to respond, though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement