Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planet X looked down on?

• 25-08-2011 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭

hey guys went into a lbs yesterday and got talking about race bikes (will be buying my first shortly) anyway i mentioned planet x and the guy didnt seem to think much of them, is this due to the fact that he cant sell them himself and would rather try to make some money or is it that the bikes arnt really that good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Go into a Mercedes garage and start talking to the salesman about the new 5 series and whether he thinks it is any good.

Report back with your findings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've owned two Planet Xs (Stealth and Uncle John) and they've both been adequate.

I think the Pro has always been the pick of the bunch, and that's one I haven't owned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

pretty much as i thought so, still though i know a mechanic or two who are perfectly honest with me and they get a nice bit of business off me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Lumen wrote: »
    I've owned two Planet Xs (Stealth and Uncle John) and they've both been adequate.

Adequate - you have just killed the brand. Its like describing a person as nice.
    I have always aspired to own something that is simply adequate;)

I appreciate your honesty.

Icy - the reason they get a bad rap is that they were cheap and have become common because of that (sort of like Canyon now).
    TBH, there is probably nothing at all that could detract from them relative to other frames in a similar price bracket.
    I nearly bought one, but the geometry really didnt work for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

They'll say something like "oh it's a copy of last years XXX frame" or similar, maybe point out how they never invent anything or come up with some new shape or construction technique, but to most riders it probably makes no discernable difference, and you end up with a very reasonably priced package, typically getting a full carbon Ultegra level bike for the same price as an aluminium frame with 105/tiagra mix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Everytime I see one, I get the same feeling as when I'm standing at a baggage carousel and see one of those SuperValu offer suitcases roll out ...

thanks lads, its all pretty much bike snobbery so, well the lbs guy did describe them as "cheap and cheerful" which id take over "expensive and cheerful" any day of the week :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Murph100 wrote: »
    Everytime I see one, I get the same feeling as when I'm standing at a baggage carousel and see one of those SuperValu offer suitcases roll out ...

*As he looks on smugly, waiting for his matching Louis Vuitton 3 piece luggage set to come into view*

2384.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    *As he looks on smugly, waiting for his matching Louis Vuitton 3 piece luggage set to come into view*

Louis Vuitton is certainly a good choice for extended stays in southern hemisphere countries. Nothing says "come hither oriental looking chap and portage my shirts" like an expensive suitcase.

The very same set he bought OUTSIDE the Louis Vuitton store on the way back from the pub :)

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

2384.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

ROK ON wrote: »
    Adequate - you have just killed the brand. Its like describing a person as nice.

Buddy Rich described Ringo Starr's drumming as "adequate". Given what he said about other people, it's regarded as praise.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Buddy Rich described Ringo Starr's drumming as "adequate". Given what he said about other people, it's regarded as praise.
    Gas, Lennon when asked about Ringos abilities claimed he wasnt even the best drummer in the Beatles.

Murph100 wrote: »
    Class - no better bike snob than yerself:D

Gas, Lennon when asked about Ringos abilities claimed he wasnt even the best drummer in the Beatles.
    He also at one stage dismissed all George Martin's contributions to the recording of his songs.

He was a very insecure man given to saying horrible things. The Philip Norman bio, while very sympathetic, makes him look quite bad at times, atrocious very occasionally.

Snob ? Moi ? ... never said I looked down on them, they just always seem induce an overwhelming rush of indifference :D

Class - no better bike snob than yerself:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

What Ya make of the On-One MTB frames IcySean? Aren't they the same company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

studiorat wrote: »
    Planet X used to make MTB frames, and fine MTB frames they were.
    nondrive.jpg
    I know of a few people that still have Jack Flashes hanging around...

tomasrojo wrote: »
    He was a very insecure man given to saying horrible things. The Philip Norman bio, while very sympathetic, makes him look quite bad at times, atrocious very occasionally.

Bad, thats an understatement. I'd say he was a right prick.

Bad, thats an understatement. I'd say he was a right prick.
    Yes, some of his behaviour was troubling, to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

answer to op: yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

langdang wrote: »
    Planet X used to make MTB frames, and fine MTB frames they were.

That's right the Jack Flash, and the Compo. Great name for a bike.
    4400597D-D59B-CF4B-CD3F48E17E6AAEFC.jpg

never knew that, they seem like nice enough frames from what ive seen

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

That's right the Jack Flash, and the Compo. Great name for a bike.
    Great names from the On-One side of the shop : I've an Inbred MTB and Il Pompino commuter (go on, google translate it if your Italian ain't up to it), the tubing is labeled DN6 which is their postcode, and their steel framed do-anything bike is the Kaffenback (Cafe and back)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

answer to op: yes

Yes everytime i look at mine beside an ultegra specd frame of equal or lesser quality that cost the bones of 1000e more than my bike because of a name and a different paint job i feel so ashamed

Advertisement