Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Landscape Photographers

• 25-08-2011 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can name some Irish Landscape photographers? Doing a bit of landscape photography and looking for some ideas and inspiration.

Cheers,
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Peter Cox comes to mind - http://www.petercox.ie/

Otherwise, just check out the Random Picts thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

peter cox
    enda cavanagh
    kirsten kriger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

Chris Hill from Scenic Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭maddog

stcstc wrote: »
    peter cox
    enda cavanagh
    kirsten kriger

All amazing:) I do however rate Gary McParland from Newry very highly.

maddog wrote: »
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Cheers all,

Plenty to keep me going there!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had a quick glance through his gallery. all the ones i saw were horribly overprocessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

Giles Norman too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

i had a quick glance through his gallery. all the ones i saw were horribly overprocessed.

It seems to be the norm for mainstream landscape photography nowadays. I actually blame velvia for it. Back in the day big lush oversaturated velvia shots were seen as the apex of landscape photography. Since then digital shooters seem keen to emulate the look.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've used velvia myself, and it's never that bad.
    all the subtlety of light is lost in those shots.

Interesting point of view and your perfectly entitled to it but others including myself beg to differ, he has won many awards and has had his photos published in magazines and calendars.

i think the problem is there are some lovely shots there, were he not so meddlesome.
    and it's that sort of shot which is often pushed by photography mags, so a lot of amateurs are led to believe it's the way to do good landscapes.

bren2002 wrote: »
    Giles Norman too
    has he gone entirely online, or is his shop in kinsale still open? the one in dublin closed a few years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Kinsale still open and he has one in Killarney as well

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

Ballyman wrote: »
    Kinsale still open and he has one in Killarney as well
    Peter cox has a new shop in Killarney aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Simon Burch & Eoghan Kavanagh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭zootshooter

Whilst not wishing to look like I'm blowing my own trumpet, I do have a photoblog www.feargalnorton.com, where I've uploaded a lot of Irish landscapes that hopefully you may find somewhat interesting.

Whilst not wishing to look like I'm blowing my own trumpet, I do have a photoblog www.feargalnorton.com, where I've uploaded a lot of Irish landscapes that hopefully you may find somewhat interesting.

You signed up specifically in order to post that, that looks suspiciously like blowing your own trumpet all right :rolleyes:

Considering that I've been signed up to this site for months and peruse it regularly, I think that shows some amount of conjecture on your part. The original poster asked for info on Irish landscape pnotographers, I'm a landscape photographer who has provided my info, please enlighten me as to how exactly my reply is irrelevant?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

has he gone entirely online, or is his shop in kinsale still open? the one in dublin closed a few years ago.

His shop's still going in Kinsale but on reduced opening hours (apparently) and the shop on Exchequer St. only closed after the christmas just gone.

I think the op was looking for good irish landscape photographers :D;)

funny boy slim, I bet your photos are hot ****. I was being helpful, you good sir are simply being an utter douche.

The original poster asked for info on Irish landscape pnotographers, I'm a landscape photographer who has provided my info, please enlighten me as to how exactly my reply is irrelevant?

They also asked for photograhs that would insipre them, IMO your photos are far from that quailty, while myself and others have reccommended other photoaghers that we consider to be top of their game and lead the field in Irish landscpae photography.

I would consider my myself to be a decent landscape photographer but would not consider putting my name forward as I feel that I would be nowhere as good as some of the other photograpers already mentioned.

slimboyfat wrote: »
    They also asked for photograhs that would insipre them, IMO your photos are far from that quailty, while myself and others have reccommended other photoaghers that we consider to be top of their game and lead the field in Irish landscpae photography.

I would consider my myself to be a decent landscape photographer but would not consider putting my name forward as I feel that I would be nowhere as good as some of the other photograpers already mentioned.

I really shouldn't bother replying to someone who rather than offering help or advice on a photography forum prefers to spend his time being negative, yet nonetheless I'll take the bait. First of all the OP said he was looking for ideas or inspiration. My photos may well be utter crap, but it wouldn't change the fact that someobody might be inspired to photograph one of my landscape subjects in a more accomplished way than I have the ability to. They also might take an idea from one of the ways that I've taken a shot of some scenery and run with it in their own fashion. Maybe I've missed something, but I don't see anything in the original post to suggest that only quality proffessional photographers need make any response to the original query. If you don't see any value in my photographs then fair enough, good photography is a subjective idea and I happily admit than I'm an amateur photographer with a lot to learn. You say that you think you're a good landscape photographer, so please do tell me where I can view your work so I can learn a little something from it. I believe that photographers can learn from both good and bad examples of photographic technique, so rather than making snide comments attempting to belittle another photographer, please do showcase your undoubtedly universally utterly impressive landscape photography.

slimboyfat wrote: »

... which is entirely your call with respect to your own photography. It's considered bad form here to attack another posters photography unless they specifically ask for feedback, and even at that constructive criticism is the appropriate response, not some blanket insinuation that someones work is just not 'good' (for some subjective value of 'good')

... which is entirely your call with respect to your own photography. It's considered bad form here to attack another posters photography unless they specifically ask for feedback, and even at that constructive criticism is the appropriate response, not some blanket insinuation that someones work is just not 'good' (for some subjective value of 'good')

Another person with no sense of humour :D;)

I was having a joke hence the :D;) after my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

stabo wrote: »
    Peter cox has a new shop in Killarney aswell.

Called in there when we were down in July. Some amazing stuff.

THIS was my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Buckz

Www.skyline.ie I think the photographer is Eoin Kavanagh, I was in his gallery in Kenmare recently, brilliant stuff (it inspired me!).
    everyone should add their own link to this- its by seeing new locations and other approaches to locations I like that I get ideas...

• Advertisement

Yep, Eoghan's the guy I mentioned earlier on. Really nice chap, great photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 emmaryan17

Two more sites I find inspiring

Peter McCabe [url]Http://www.photoimagery.net[/url]
    Andy McInroy http://www.andymcinroy.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

peter o'donnell has some great stuff. Well worth looking at his website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

I like the work of Doug Lane http://douglaslane.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

dave66 wrote: »
    I like the work of Doug Lane http://douglaslane.ie/

+1 Completely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Eamon O Boyle in Ballina is a fab landscape man too. Not sure what his site is offhand. Worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 sflinter

I would also recommend the work of Eamonn McCarthy, who mostly works with Mayo land- and seascapes: http://www.imagesofmayo.com/.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 turner and hooch

came across a shop when I was in Mayo last year www.imagesofmayo.com
    I think the shop is closed now, but he has some great shots on his site.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Some lovely photos through all those linka there! We're mad for our landscape stuff in this country! :)

Might i suggest you never look at Trey Rathcliff's work. Or at least, dont ever listen to him. one of the most groany over rated "artists"(his suggestion) ive come across since I started looking at professional photography. Mindblowingly bad but people love it. So maybe do look at it and make up your own mind!

www.stuckincustoms.com

Some lovely photos through all those linka there! We're mad for our landscape stuff in this country! :)

Might i suggest you never look at Trey Rathcliff's work. Or at least, dont ever listen to him. one of the most groany over rated "artists"(his suggestion) ive come across since I started looking at professional photography. Mindblowingly bad but people love it. So maybe do look at it and make up your own mind!

www.stuckincustoms.com

Jasus he waffles on and on... and on...and on:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

Neil McShane - all B&W Landscapes
    http://www.blackandwhite.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Rohan Reilly, a guy from West Cork has some interesting stuff:

http://www.rohanreilly.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Jasus he waffles on and on... and on...and on:pac::pac:

Yeah it's like a sssslllloooooowwwww grrraavvveeeeeelllyy mooooaaaaaannnn.

I bet he thinks it makes him sound super chilled about how awesome he is....

I really dislike 90% of his work. And I'd say I dislike 100% of him haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 fireblade001

there's this site too www.briancurranphotography.com

there's this site too www.briancurranphotography.com

His landscapes are pretty.... meh.... to be honest:cool:
    Check out Stephen Emerson's work here

Simon Burch is opening an exhibition tomorrow evening in RuaRed in Tallaght if anyone is interested. It's running 'til the 29th of October. I've had a sneak preview of the prints and they're gorgeous... And huge.

Linky here.

Advertisement