Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

measuring area

• 25-08-2011 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

did some ploughing and wanted to check area for buying the seed. What is the calculation to find out how many acres in the area?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Micheal H

I generally use this site: http://spatial.dcenr.gov.ie/imf/imf.jsp?site=GSI_Simple

Alternatively, if you have a smart phone there are apps available to calculate area using GPS. Won't be 100% accurate, but it will be close enough to give you a good idea what size it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Alternatively if the field is relatively square and your not afraid of walking and a bit of simple arithmetic - pace it out!

Walking at pace, a man's stride is a 1 metre or thereabouts (heel of first foot to toe of other).

So pace one length and then the width and multiply the two, then divide by 4000 = acres approx ;)

1 acre = 4 046.85642 sq meter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

or have a look here at Orthophotography, they also do maps:

http://shop.osi.ie/shop/

The easiest method is to print off a scale map and then divide the area into squares of a known area, total that up and then estimate the bits left over in squares and add up.

Micheal H wrote: »

Michael H, just had a 'play around' with this, very interesting!! Thanks for letting us know about it. ;)

Btw, is it possible to change the settings that it gives you the area in acres rather than square metres? I'm sure if I stuck at it I'd figure it out myself, but a bit lazy this evening :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Muckit wrote: »
    Michael H, just had a 'play around' with this, very interesting!! Thanks for letting us know about it. ;)

Btw, is it possible to change the settings that it gives you the area in acres rather than square metres? I'm sure if I stuck at it I'd figure it out myself, but a bit lazy this evening :o

Haven't worked out how to do it myself either

But 1 acre = 4,046sq m if thats any good to ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Micheal H

Muckit wrote: »

No it's only in square metres I'm afraid. I just take the figure and plug it into here: http://www.onlineconversion.com/area.htm Saves the headache of trying to work it out for myself ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

The www.osi.ie website has the historical maps on it. The Brits did a great survey in the 1800's and these maps are still being used.

You can get these on the website and overlay them on the current maps whcih should help you figure out the area of the field or fields you were working on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Micheal H wrote: »
    I generally use this site: http://spatial.dcenr.gov.ie/imf/imf.jsp?site=GSI_Simple

Alternatively, if you have a smart phone there are apps available to calculate area using GPS. Won't be 100% accurate, but it will be close enough to give you a good idea what size it is.

great tool. I use it regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

As a matter of interest when they first measured fields did they take into account the topography of the land as measuring the perimeter will not give the true area of a field?

Sam Kade wrote: »
    As a matter of interest when they first measured fields did they take into account the topography of the land as measuring the perimeter will not give the true area of a field?

Interesting point Sam Kade....I've often wondered about that. A hilly field with loads of dips and hollows will have more surface area than a flat field measure on a map IYKWIM Hard to explain, but I'd say you get my drift.

So when area is talked about now Sam Kade can you tell us is it the surface area, or the area on a map that's talked about? If it's map area, I'd have to say your getting more 'bang' for your buck from slightly hilly land than 'flat' land of equal quality. I suppose your using more diesel too though driving up and down hills........... ok my brain is huring now.... must stop thinking :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Sam Kade wrote: »

any1 come up with a method to calculate the true area of a field if you know what the rise is from one end to the other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

If its a gradual slope from one end of the field to the other then a bit of simple trigonometry should be able to sort it out. But if the field has humps and hollows all over the place it becomes a lot more difficult I imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

If its a gradual slope from one end of the field to the other then a bit of simple trigonometry should be able to sort it out. But if the field has humps and hollows all over the place it becomes a lot more difficult I imagine

....and potato drills will nearly double the surface area!

Advertisement