Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Itchy legs?

Options
  • 25-08-2011 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

I'll be 23 weeks pregnant tomorrow and my legs are driving me mad with itch, particularly at nighttime. The inner thigh of my left leg is the worst. Has any one else experienced this? I don't remember having it during my first pregnancy and it's so annoying that I think it's something I would remember!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 beanser

MEEE! It's a nightmare, inner thigh on both legs up near the top, keeps me fidgeting half the night. I wouldn't be a big drama queen normally, but last night there was nearly tears, I just wanted to go asleep.

I've tried putting a bit of stretchmark cream there and it does seem to ease it a tiny bit, as I think the itch I get on my inner thigh is probably due to new stretchmarks.

Last night aswell, the bottom of my legs above my ankles were really itchy too.

Before I got pregnant I used to have to take antihistimines every day, both for hayfever allergies and also because of this all over body itch that would start on my legs and work it's way all over. Nearly cried when the doc said I had to stop taking it, but after a week or so the itches subsided, so for me this itching isn't as bad as it could be, but it's still a curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 beanser

Sorry about that, if anyone happened to see my four duplicated responses! Browser kept hanging. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Check with GP / pharmacist but think pirIton is safe to take while pregnant

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

I might mention it during my next clinic appointment, if it hasn't drive me mad by then!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

My sister had a very bad itch aswell when she was pregnant. Used to wake me up with the noise of her tearing at her legs in the night time in her sleep.
    As it turned out I think it was connected with a high blood pressure problem and she was admitted early because of it.
    Am not saying this is the case with you but you should definitely mention it at your next medical appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Yup, I have itchy legs in the night, too. They would be pretty sensitive anyway, as I shave bottom halves. But much worse with this pregnancy. I find I get very itchy on the inside of the of backs my knees. The more I scratch, little bumps come up. Once I start scratching I can't stop:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

Cottontail wrote: »
    I'll be 23 weeks pregnant tomorrow and my legs are driving me mad with itch, particularly at nighttime. The inner thigh of my left leg is the worst. Has any one else experienced this? I don't remember having it during my first pregnancy and it's so annoying that I think it's something I would remember!!

OH was saying that she suffers really bad as well with itching, she asked the GP about it and she said that OH cud Use E45 cream( not sure if allowed post it) or the other cream that you can use for baby's rash (Sudo) that you can get in any supermarket. both creams seem to ease the itch OH said !

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

My sister had a very bad itch aswell when she was pregnant. Used to wake me up with the noise of her tearing at her legs in the night time in her sleep.
    As it turned out I think it was connected with a high blood pressure problem and she was admitted early because of it.
    Am not saying this is the case with you but you should definitely mention it at your next medical appointment.

Thanks I will, although I dont think it is a BP issue, my BP has been checked every time i'm in the clinic/at doctor's and it's always been normal but i'll mention it anyway, you'd never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Itching in pregnancy is usually just down to skin stretching and hormonal changes. There is always a need to report itching in pregnancy to your GP/midiwfe, as it may be related to cholestasis of pregnancy, which requires monitoring.

Itching that doesn't get relieved by used of anti-histamines, or that increases in the intensity in the evening should be reported as a precaution to your health care provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

My skin has gotten very very dry and itchy I started to use Palmers Cocoa butter works great put it on damp skin after shower and it smells great :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement