Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best cup of coffee in Galway

• 25-08-2011 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭

i love coffee, mocha,cappuchino,americano ..mmm ive had coffee all over the city, in the last couple of months ive been a regular coffee drinker at this place,waiting to see would the standards drop like in so many places,

alas it hasnt, its divine,in my opinion its the best cup of coffee in the city..and its still only 2 euro a cup..

my vote goes to Le Petit Delice on mainguard st, next to the credit union.. the french bakery is also top notch..

have you been ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What's wrong with Tesco Value coffee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Not had their coffee(will do soon though) but i've had their tomatoe soup. The best,almost as good as homemade. In fact it could easily pass as your own! Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Arabica on dominick street usually do a decent Mocha, though I have had the odd stinker from there if a trainee or someone new is allowed to make it for me.... but thats an exception rather than the rule! Ill have to try out the place by the credit union! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

the Chocolate Box, whenever I would go to Galway to visit family and friends I would go there! was a loyal fan of Elles for years (especially early mornings) until I got a very bad coffee one morning that tasted like cigarettes!! Living in Carrick on Shannon now and have yet to find a decent coffee shop...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

snubbleste wrote: »
    What's wrong with Tesco Value coffee?

The tesco value ground coffee is surprisingly good. Definately worth having a few bags as backup at least!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Does anyone know where you can get a good full-bodied filter coffee in town? Anywhere you order a coffee now they seem to give you an Americano (hot water + espresso) which is generally much thinner and harsh tasting imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tim Hortons in Topaz, Headford Rd or the coffee place that's next to what used to be Snackbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

foto joe wrote: »
    Does anyone know where you can get a good full-bodied filter coffee in town? Anywhere you order a coffee now they seem to give you an Americano (hot water + espresso) which is generally much thinner and harsh tasting imo.

Great point of distinction! Americanos have their place but a real American coffee is a filtered coffee in a 32oz Big Gulp. I find Topaz in the morning generally has good fresh filtered coffee. The trick, no surprise, is to have it fresh... after an hour sitting on a burner it's tar! That's why most people don't like it.

As for a good consistent cappuccino I became fond on Mocha beans in Lisbon estate especially during their €2 recession-buster but that offer has expired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

the place beside harry fitz's (snackbox) serves lavazza coffe and does a lovley mocha, but i find for a regular cup of coffee it has to be the wee french cafe

Le Petit Delice, i just havent had a nicer tasting straight up coffee anywhere, i dont work there or know the owner, i just like coffee and said id share it.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 alimegs

Tim Hortons coffee in the petrol station on the headford road is divine. Actually so are their breakfast rolls

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm breakfast rolls

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Another vote for Le Petit Dolice. Only discovered it a couple of months ago but really enjoy their Coffee. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Traveling Matt

Arabica on dominic street is good depending on who is working.
    Mr. Waffle across from the hospital especially if Monika is working (just won best barista in Galway).
    Cafe Express on Shop St.
    Will try the french bakery.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭holly8

J o e wrote: »
    The tesco value ground coffee is surprisingly good. Definately worth having a few bags as backup at least!

agree. I make it with a stove top coffee pot and add hot milk. I always get asked where did I get the lovely coffee. nothing wrong with it at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

The Chocolate Box on Shop St has been taken over by The Galway Roast. It's a tiny place so I think they only do take-away. I had a cappuccino from there on Saturday and it was pretty good.

I must try that French place mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭jdburkedjburke

Just re trashing an old thread to save starting a new one.
    Any recommendations for good coffee shops in Galway.
    Has Badger and Dodo one there?
    Going down for a few days.
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just re trashing an old thread to save starting a new one.
    Any recommendations for good coffee shops in Galway.
    Has Badger and Dodo one there?
    Going down for a few days.
    Thanks in advance.

Badger & Dodo have just opened one, not sure where it is in town though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

barone wrote: »
    i love coffee, mocha,cappuchino,americano ..mmm ive had coffee all over the city, in the last couple of months ive been a regular coffee drinker at this place,waiting to see would the standards drop like in so many places,

alas it hasnt, its divine,in my opinion its the best cup of coffee in the city..and its still only 2 euro a cup..

my vote goes to Le Petit Delice on mainguard st, next to the credit union.. the french bakery is also top notch..

have you been ?

Anyone who loves Americanos does not love Coffee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Badger and Dodos are on Forster st. opposite the tourist office

Thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Urban Grind which opened in the last year or so is miles ahead of anywhere else IMO. They use 3fe beans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

How so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

According to whom?

I personally prefer Cafe Express.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

good trolling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭Nexarz

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Urban Grind which opened in the last year or so is miles ahead of anywhere else IMO. They use 3fe beans.

Couldn't agree more. Food is equally as brilliant as their coffee. Would love a specialty coffee shop somewhere near shop st though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Urban Grind is great! I really like that place, it is a nice space, friendly people, and great coffee!

I also really like Badger and Dodo over near the bus stop, but rarely find myself over that side of town.

Urban grind isnt far away from Shop St! Only a couple of mins walk.. and you dont want it to be too central, ya know?

Random off-topic comment on Americanos: in the Coffee Atlas by James Hoffman (which by the way is great) he also somewhat criticises it I think? I cant remember what it says now, but something along the lines of it isnt a great way to enjoy coffee.. I think there are a lot of bad americanos out there, but some really good ones too. I can remember being really amazed by the americano at Cup on nassau street, and 3fe do a really good one too.

Anyways yup would recommend both of the above, and lunch in Kai then coffee in Urban Grind makes for a fantastic combo!

Just to update
    I had coffee in Badger & Dodo and Cafe Jungle, couldn't fault the coffee's in either place.

Advertisement