Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IRMS - Shell to sea protests

• 25-08-2011 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭

If the staff of the private security firm IRMS are physically handling people on a public road in Mayo , could this legally be called assault?. According to the protestors they have no jurisdiction on public property.

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/100397

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

Ah indymedia, the bastion of fair, impartial news.

Where's the sarcasm smiley when you need it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I'm pretty ambivalent towards the website to be honest. But hypothetically if a private security company physically restrained you on a public road is this not assault?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

A person may assist a Garda in the execution of his powers under the public order act. The only people breaking the law are the shell to sea wasters. I'm sure they can't even see their own hypocrisy in trying to rely on the law to assist them in breaking the law.

Ok , fair enough. I'm not connected to the protests just don't like the idea of private security personnel crossing the line.

http://www.communityvoice.ie/pages/CV153/CV153n06.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Recent discussion on Indymedia and their attitude to free speech here....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72761172

• Advertisement

I wonder if there was a protest in say Dublin 4 about the felling of trees or buildings being erected out of synch with the existing architecture and a well respected local person was handled on the public road by security staff would there be repercussions :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Seanachai wrote: »
    I wonder if there was a protest in say Dublin 4 about the felling of trees or buildings being erected out of synch with the existing architecture and a well respected local person was handled on the public road by security staff would there be repercussions :rolleyes:.

As I understand it, the majority of people in Mayo support the building of the gas terminal and pipeline, a significant number of the protesters are malcontent outsiders who arrive in uninvited, throw their weight around and then scream 'police brutality'.

Comparing the Shell to Sea protesters to some old dear in Dublin trying to protect a tree is laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

As a Mayo resident with some knowledge of the Rossport area, I agree with Coylemj. Have heard some posh UK accents up there at times.

Some has boasted of being serial objectors to many projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 copirineo

coylemj wrote: »
    As I understand it, the majority of people in Mayo support the building of the gas terminal and pipeline, a significant number of the protesters are malcontent outsiders who arrive in uninvited, throw their weight around and then scream 'police brutality'.

That's the sort of attitude which has led to the current impasse. The people in the area who are going to be most affected by the raw gas pipeline have legitimate concerns and have been treated atrociously in this whole affair. If they had been listened to at the start we wouldn't be in this mess now.

copirineo wrote: »
    That's the sort of attitude which has led to the current impasse. The people in the area who are going to be most affected by the raw gas pipeline have legitimate concerns and have been treated atrociously in this whole affair. If they had been listened to at the start we wouldn't be in this mess now.

By treated atrociously you of course mean they have been outvoted by the majority. I hate it when the government go with the majority vote instead of pandering to a small self interest group.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I'm sure if the OP wanted to discuss the merits of the protesters he would have posted on the politics forum, but thats not the case, he has highlighted an issue with the private security, surely we can simply talk about that in isolation and leave out musings on the validity or lack thereof of the shell to sea campaign?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I'm sure if the OP wanted to discuss the merits of the protesters he would have posted on the politics forum, but thats not the case, he has highlighted an issue with the private security, surely we can simply talk about that in isolation and leave out musings on the validity or lack thereof of the shell to sea campaign?

they are only preventing silly people from doing what we all tell children not to do - run out in front of vehicles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Why any intelligent person reads Indymedia is beyond me - I sometimes wonder if was started by The Freemen.

Delancey wrote: »
    Why any intelligent person reads Indymedia is beyond me - I sometimes wonder if was started by The Freemen.

I use to read it for some good debate. After a day or two i realised any meaaningful debate would be impossible.

Advertisement