Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3DS - is it worth it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

amagad ill finally get to play chrono trigger..

What health risks are we talking about here exactly??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

nix wrote: »

Vision based - eye strain, headaches etc... As long as you're not playing in full 3D for hours a day I wouldn't even worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Syphilis, thats from the 3D!!
    Ghonneria from the increased power not to mention the analogue slider, don't get me started on that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

i wonder if the general public think the 3DS is just the DS with a 3D option; so casual DS owners aren't interested in upgrading, they're content.

or maybe it's just a slump until the next pokemon, 2D mario and brain training come out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

jaykhunter wrote: »
    i wonder if the general public think the 3DS is just the DS with a 3D option; so casual DS owners aren't interested in upgrading, they're content.

I think this is actually a big problem and a massive mistake by nintendos marketing staff. I think they might be making the same mistake with the Wii U.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'd be buying it for the kids, as I prefer the PC. But tbh until I read this thread I didn't realise the other differences in the 3DS. Now if I had to get one I get the 3DS for future and past compatibility. We have a much used DSi already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

BostonB wrote: »
    I'd be buying it for the kids, as I prefer the PC. But tbh until I read this thread I didn't realise the other differences in the 3DS. Now if I had to get one I get the 3DS for future and past compatibility. We have a much used DSi already.

I think this hits it on the nail. There's no awareness. At this stage they might have to kill of the dsi despite it being profitable to force migration

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

just got chrono trigger from gamestop!

will have even more fun tonight! :D

still waiting on damn games from play.com :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Michael_Burke

I'm contemplating buying the 3DS at some stage, but the question I ask is; is it worth it? It br seems like the only game worth having is Zelda!

My brother has one and just like the other people here I would say zelda is the only game worth having but would you buy a console for the sake of one game?
    I wouldnt and I dont you should either

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

just got chrono trigger from gamestop!

Beep beep!
    30920033hu6.png

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Beep beep!
    30920033hu6.png

I have no idea wtf that means, but that game is savage!!!!!

Thanks god I helped to find that cat, but it didn't help me in the end lol :D.

Played only 2-3 h. Love everything about it so far!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KalEl88

Where did you buy it Shadow? In which GS?

I tried to find it online, but no luck. If it was there price was idiotic.

It was in my local gamestop. The only copy they had! I was even surprised to see it there, that's why I just took, with no questions asked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I picked up Chrono Trigger DS in a Dublin Branch not too long ago. GS are fairly helpful at tracking other stores for stock so I'm sure if you asked your local they could direct you to another shop that might have it.

Gave one more burst last night. Chrono trigger is really damn good game!

Just wondering if op went for 3ds...

Stopped into Dundrum and picked up prof layton and pandoras box, hope its the first one? couldnt find chrono trigger or any of the FF games :(

Have to say the DS game are pricey, wheres a good plac to buy em cheap online?

Loving zelda OOT >=)

Stopped into Dundrum and picked up prof layton and pandoras box, hope its the first one? couldnt find chrono trigger or any of the FF games :(

Have to say the DS game are pricey, wheres a good plac to buy em cheap online?

Loving zelda OOT >=)

you got to shop around m8. one place can have better deals on one games, but **** deals on athers.

www.play.com

www.zavvi.co.uk

www.amazon.ie

i got from play.com

advanced wars for 12eu, a must have game if you like turn based strategies
    http://www.play.com/Games/DS/4-/3594196/Advance-Wars-Dark-Conflict/Product.html?searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&searchstring=advanced+wars&urlrefer=search

castlevania order of Eclessia 22eu
    http://www.play.com/Games/DS/4-/5985083/Castlevania-Order-Of-Ecclesia/Product.html?searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&searchstring=castlevania&urlrefer=search

best bed is to check what games you want, then go on to all 3 sites and check which has best deal.

i picked up Final fantasy tactics A2 second hand in gamestop for 9.99!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

i picked up Final fantasy tactics A2 second hand in gamestop for 9.99!!!

That's 9.99 too much for that game.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That's 9.99 too much for that game.

whatever...

Whats wrong with the FFtactics retro???

I'm loving this Professor layton game, only an hour and a half in, buts its very very refreshing and fun to play, is there any order to these games? or is it ok for me to play them randomly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I'm loving this Professor layton game, only an hour and a half in, buts its very very refreshing and fun to play, is there any order to these games? or is it ok for me to play them randomly?

Professor Layton and the Curious Village
    Professor Layton and Pandora's Box
    Professor Layton and the Lost Future

I've only played the first, which I thought was great, but I wouldn't say there's much need to play chronologically. It's all about the puzzles for the most part.

A new game came out earlier this month, May's Mysteries: the Secret of Dragonville, which is a Layton rip-off but not a bad one.

A more boring SRPG is harder to find. The GBA FFTA game was boring as hell as well. It's a crying shame that the advance games aren't anywhere near as good as the much better Final Fantasy Tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A more boring SRPG is harder to find. The GBA FFTA game was boring as hell as well. It's a crying shame that the advance games aren't anywhere near as good as the much better Final Fantasy Tactics.

Tactics Advance is a fine game. Don't know about the sequel though.

Disagea DS is good as well if you can't get it for any other platform

Nothing wrong with ff tactics m8.

It's just not as exiting as zelda wearing a strap on and doing Link for 100th time, while Mario looks at it and fap fap fap ...

If you like turn based strategy tuen it's a great little game. I personally enjoy it. Check few reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Ahem, amidst the FFT debate, here's a bit of 3DS news:

http://kotaku.com/5835706/full-list-of-free-famicom-games-for-3ds-owners#

Kinda wish Kid Icarus was on the list, but I guess Nintendo will try to sell it to us when the 3DS game comes out!

I generally like turn based RPG's for the story more than the combat system, now the combat system is important, however if the game is mainly focusing on on the battle system and the story is weak, ill get bored and likely not return to it.

How it went with the latest FF (12+13) games for me anywho...

I'm highly keen to get CT, also what are the Dragon quest games like?

Also what are these AR games cards i got with system? I'm too caught up to read through manual ;D

Well if you like your SRPGs with good story then steer clear of FFTA. It's as generic and dull as you can get. Also steer clear of FFTA if you like your SRPGs with a good battle system because you'll be 20 hours into the game and realise that there's absolutely no challenge in any of the battles and you'll have 180 hours more to go through to beat it. You'll also be annoyed with how unuser firendly buying weapons and armour is and setting up your team.

As for Chrono Trigger and the Dragon Quest games on the DS, all of them are pretty much essential. I suggest buying them all. They're some od the best games on the system.

Got my castlevania game. Very good game, but really damn hard.

Still waiting on my advanced wars. :(

I will have 6 games, so I better stop with ordering games lol. Or it will be like xbox. **** loads of games bought and nothing finished. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Got my castlevania game. Very good game, but really damn hard.

Still waiting on my advanced wars. :(

I will have 6 games, so I better stop with ordering games lol. Or it will be like xbox. **** loads of games bought and nothing finished. :)

What Castlevania game is it?
    The three CV titles on DS are amazing games, not that hard compared to others in the series but really enjoyable

• Advertisement

pdbhp wrote: »
    What Castlevania game is it?
    The three CV titles on DS are amazing games, not that hard compared to others in the series but really enjoyable

Order of enclessia?

I am still getting use to 3ds controls. This game does not **** around lol. Rare save points. Game over if you feck up. It's like good old days.

2d platforming rpg like this is really awesome. IRS a shame not many games like this.

Advertisement