Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major Accident in Portmarnock

Options
  • 25-08-2011 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

My other half just rang me from portmarnock in a awful state, said she saw an accident a woman in a car with kids crashing into the sea, very serious by the sounds of it, please god they are ok

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Jesus - not a million miles away from me at all. Hope everyone is OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

sdeire wrote: »
    Jesus - not a million miles away from me at all. Hope everyone is OK.

Me too :(. Hopefully everyone turns out to be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Occupants of the crash have being taken out unconcious on strechers, wife crying on the phone we have kids ourselves very very tough

My thoughts and prayers are with there familys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Crashed into the sea! Hope they're all ok! Must have left the road at some pace, I assume it happened between portmarnock and Malahide?

Just after the martello tower on the way to malahide, a woman and 4 or 5 kids, i feel sick to my stomach

• Advertisement

I know that stretch of road well, not the safest corner in the world, plus if you leave the road there's a 10ft drop or so once you clear the path. I hope they're all ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Just after the martello tower on the way to malahide, a woman and 4 or 5 kids, i feel sick to my stomach

That road is dangerous when wet. Hopefully they're all ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Isn't there a barrier along the bends there? Even without one that's a fair leap :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Oh, that sounds truly awful. My heart goes out to them. Hoping for the best for them. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 668Janet

Radio has just said woman and 6 kids!!

Hope they are all ok!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

http://www.thejournal.ie/woman-and-six-children-involved-in-dublin-road-crash-209990-Aug2011/

Looks like injuries may not be too serious - fingers crossed all are ok

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Report from Malahide and stock picture from Sandymount, well done the journal :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

http://www.howthcoastguard.com/

Bit of information on the incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

http://www.howthcoastguard.com/

Bit of information on the incident.

Is that an SUV?

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Is that an SUV?

I think the orange part is the back brace board that they stick people on. As far as I can see, the firemen are standing in the path carved out by the car, so it seems it went past the hill onto the flat. As I said earlier they must have been moving at some pace to manage to get up onto the path (have you ever seen how big the kerb is there?) and over the embankment!

Good to see that nobody was too badly injured!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

Is that an SUV?

Yeh it's definitely an SUV, can't make out which type though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I'm glad there were no serious casualties.

However, to have that sort of crash on that road suggests some seriously reckless driving (it was fine and dry in Porto today), or catastrophic mechanical failure.

Either way, you don't go off the road, through the wall/barrier (depending on exactly where it was) and over the bit on where people can walk (again, depending on where it happened) onto the rocks 10m below without (a) having a rocket car or (b) driving way too fast and not being in proper control.

If she was clipped by another car or swerved to avoid a badger, I retract my cynicism.

If she wasn't, stop thinking SUVs are tanks that won't roll if you look sideways at them. And get a proper car that I can see past when you're next to me at junctions, you pretentious tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

However, to have that sort of crash on that road suggests some seriously reckless driving (it was fine and dry in Porto today), or catastrophic mechanical failure.

Either way, you don't go off the road, through the wall/barrier (depending on exactly where it was) and over the bit on where people can walk (again, depending on where it happened) onto the rocks 10m below without (a) having a rocket car or (b) driving way too fast and not being in proper control.

If she was clipped by another car or swerved to avoid a badger, I retract my cynicism.

If she wasn't, stop thinking SUVs are tanks that won't roll if you look sideways at them. And get a proper car that I can see past when you're next to me at junctions, you pretentious tool.
    There was no barrier where she left the road. It's downhill and bending to the left as you go south. Thank god no-one was killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

It most certainly was not "fine and dry" in Portmarnock yesterday. There was heavy, torrential rain in the morning & early afternoon which led to localised flooding. There is no barrier at the spot the car went over the cliff either that I'm aware of.

If the driver was driving dangerously I'm sure they will be charged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Go for a run along here most evenings - never considered i might be taken out of it by a car before!

Thank god everyone is alright.

Driver needs to be seriously questioned though, could have been very tragic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Maybe you should wait to see what the Gardai say about the accident and the cause. Unless you were there you simply dont know what caused it.

As for the underlined part maybe you would like to inform us what a 'proper car' is?
    And I take it you know the person to call them a 'pretentious tool'.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

bcmf wrote: »
    Maybe you should wait to see what the Gardai say about the accident and the cause. Unless you were there you simply dont know what caused it.

As for the underlined part maybe you would like to inform us what a 'proper car' is?

Also, according to the report above it wasn't an SUV anyway. A people carrier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

Looks like the Hyundai Sante Fe (SUV) to me but could be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

copacetic wrote: »
    With that amount of people in it I hope to god it was a people carrier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I am confused, I always assumed that SUV was American for people carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

I am confused, I always assumed that SUV was American for people carrier.
    SUV = Sports Utility Vehicle
    MPV = Multiple Person Vehicle

Or suchlike. Apologies if I haven't got the acronym exactly. To complicate things further there are SUV that can take more than 5 and so fall into both categories.

If it was a Hyundai Trajet then it's not a SUV though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

The dangers of posting after a few pints! Computers should be equipped with breathalysers...
    born2bwild wrote: »
    There was no barrier where she left the road. It's downhill and bending to the left as you go south. Thank god no-one was killed.

Fair enough! I did say "depending where it happened".
    Eoineo wrote: »
    It most certainly was not "fine and dry" in Portmarnock yesterday. There was heavy, torrential rain in the morning & early afternoon which led to localised flooding. There is no barrier at the spot the car went over the cliff either that I'm aware of.

If the driver was driving dangerously I'm sure they will be charged.

I stand corrected! I was out of the area most of that day and made an assumption based on the city centre.
    bcmf wrote: »

Yeah, that actually degenerated into a generalised rant based on my frequent frustration about not being able to see over the bonnets of jeeps and the like when beside them at junctions. It was not in any way directed at this woman in particular...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Latest reports indicate no serious injuries...they were very very lucky as the drop from road level is about 6 metres.

Don't know circumstances of accident but luckily everybody reasonably ok.

• Advertisement
Advertisement