Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats wrong with my new lawn?????

Options
  • 25-08-2011 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭

I have recently seeded an area of garden on a new house build which is growing very strange. The grass has strips of lush green that grows 4 inches easily if not more in a week and then the remainder is a light green almost not growing at all.

Here is a pic:
    Garden1.jpg?t=1314278687

The strips are roughly the width of my seeder (25 inches or so) so that might have something to with it. Generally the grass is nice and thick with a few light patches.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Was the grass wet when you fertilised? Did any stick to the wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

No it was dry, just to clarify the strips are 30 or so inches wide. There is about 40 meters x 20 meters of the lawn shown in the pic.

Actually now you mention fertilizer, I used "farmers" fertilizer (20,5,?) and spread it with the seeder on a fairly low output. That could be the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Since the stripes match your seeder, could it not be that some areas were more heavily seeded and therefore look more lush?

The grass "density" is the same all over apart from a couple of patches. The dark green areas will grow at least 4 even 5 inches in height a week. The dull green areas have not really grown at all and the two cuts we have done the lawn mower has not even touched that grass as far as I can tell.

I think the areas not growing are either:

: Over fertilized and "burnt"
    or
    : Not fertilized at all and I missed it when spreading

If anything I think its the first option as I cannot have missed so much, so how do I treat an over fertilized lawn?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Just keep mowing and stop treating it with fertilisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Use 7-6-17 to feed your lawn when needed, otherwise you'll get silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Let the fertiliser run out and it should balanace out eventually. Just keep mowing, less and less as the weeks go by. Get an autumn lawn feed and put it down methodically any time during October up to early Novemeber. You'll have a lovely lawn in the spring.

Advertisement