Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orientation?

Options
  • 25-08-2011 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

So orientation weeks begins on the 5ft. As I'm doing a science course, apparently I have to go up on the 7th and the 8th.

Will it be ok for me to go up on the 7th and the 8th? I will be away on the 5ft, and only just back on the 6th see.

Or is it essential I arrive on the 5ft?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dtmc

Was it at this link where you saw that orientation or your course is on the 7th and 8th?

http://www.ucd.ie/incomingstudents/orientation_timetables.html

If so then yea it's grand if you only go up for those two days, there will be some sort of events organised for throughout the week but that's about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jandek

dtmc wrote: »
    Was it at this link where you saw that orientation or your course is on the 7th and 8th?

http://www.ucd.ie/incomingstudents/orientation_timetables.html

If so then yea it's grand if you only go up for those two days, there will be some sort of events organised for throughout the week but that's about it!

Thanks, I'll go up the wednesday and thursday then, maybe stay for the friday if events are happening, etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭xxpopopxx

Is everyone going to every event? I saw that people doing Arts degree is going to be split into groups by surnames :( I was planning on going to orientation week with my friend who is also doing Arts but now we're getting split up , I'm kinda hesitent going to the events as I'm scared I'm going to know no one lol :P I'm also so confused by orrientation week .....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Go together if you want. They don't check that you are the right group. They split it up by surname so they can fit everyone into the lecture hall.

You can do whatever you want during Orientation week. If/when you decide to go for a tour or go to the IT course is up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭xxpopopxx

Go together if you want. They don't check that you are the right group. They split it up by surname so they can fit everyone into the lecture hall.

You can do whatever you want during Orientation week. If/when you decide to go for a tour or go to the IT course is up to you.

Oh thank god! Haha I know I should really try to make new friends but I'm just so scared that everyone will know at least someone there while I'll be a loner ! lol :o Yeah I think I'll go with my friend I'll feel more safe :P There's just so many events not sure if all is necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

That's what everyone thinks, but the vast majority of people are in the same boat as you.

And UCD is actually quite loner friendly. It's so big that nobody would ever notice or care that you are on your own. That's the whole bloody problem with the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

That's what everyone thinks, but the vast majority of people are in the same boat as you.

And UCD is actually quite loner friendly. It's so big that nobody would ever notice or care that you are on your own. That's the whole bloody problem with the place.

Sad Professor seems sad. :p

my orientation is over 2 days.
    Will I being staying at my apartment on campus?

jandek wrote: »

bump to first page

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Make sure to do the IT thingy in the Daedalus Building, you get to sit and watch a DVD for half an hour and they give you a free memory stick which will last you forever, and its huge so well worth sitting on the comfy couches for 30mins :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Don't worry, I never went to my orientation week at all, it;s not important.

what?! UCD has been saying it's 'essential' and 'compulsory'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

No. You wont, you stay where ever you will be staying for the year.

Whatever about the President's Welcome and the sample lectures, but the introduction to your programme is important. There's enough people wandering around UCD who don't understand their own degree. The IT induction doesn't hurt either, especially if you aren't very tech savvy.

unknown13 wrote: »
    No. You wont, you stay where ever you will be staying for the year.

Which will be the campus apartment I just booked.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Which will be the campus apartment I just booked.

Then yes, you can move in from the 5th. I'd recommend just spending the whole week there, gets you used to living away from home and you can get your bearings of UCD before you have lectures to add to the equation! Besides, you won't be bored of something to do, there's lots of things going on in orientation week!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

what?! UCD has been saying it's 'essential' and 'compulsory'
    Well they would say that, wouldn't they? I'm not saying it's a waste of time going just that I didn't and I didn't suffer from it. Go if you can but if you can't don't worry, you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

President's Welcome = scarf
    IT Induction = usb memory stick
    Orientation = student card

:D

Advertisement